Another historical Mauser bites the dust...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You've got me thinking that I should take my great grandfathers Civil War Springfield rifle and rebarrel it, and sporterize it, so that I can continue handing it down in the family in a "usable" configuration. What a swell idea.

IKR, I'm going to try to talk my uncle out of his '63 split-window so that I can modify it to a convertible and put a hitch on it to pull a boat. I'll get a lot more use out of it that way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh snap, daddyusmaximus - you weren't kidding!

As I said in the pic thread, this is something that if I'd seen it proposed, I would've thought it... silly.

But, seeing it after-the-fact, I really kinda like it.

I, too, have a couple heirloom guns. If they weren't getting used in their traditional configuration, I'd be open to changing them. The history can be passed down, with another chapter now added.

More than anything, to each his own.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    As a huge fan of old military Mausers and an avid collector (Swedish variant), I would NEVER have done that.

However, I am also an ABSOLUTE believer in doing whatever you want to do with your property. If you took something that was of no use to you and made it useful and are happy with the results, then I say good for you!

That rifle only ended up in your hands because we (as a country) went to war to free other people. You modifying it the way you wanted to, is an expression of the freedom we have as Americans. Now that rifle represents your liberty in a way that you can hand down to your children. Enjoy and happy shooting!!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Graffiti-on-Mount-Rushmore--30050.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Some of you seem to be mighty confused about what freedom means. Yes, the o.p. is free to do what he wants with his rifle and his money. No one has questioned it, I seriously doubt anyone called the police to report him. There is a difference between questioning the wisdom of doing something, and denying the freedom to do it. You are free to set your underwear on fire, that doesn't make it a good idea. Nonetheless, if you wish to do so to prove you are a free man, don't let me stop you.

Having said that all of that, I am also a free man. You do not have the right to tell me how I have to react to what has been done. I am under no obligation to pat you on the back, and say "attaboy, yea, freedom." If you honestly believe that, then you really are no different than the thought police. Just to be clear, I am not claiming anyone is telling me what I have to think, I'm just saying that all this talk about "freedom" is nonsense.

You can do what you want with your property, but if you do something that you already know others won't like and then post it on the 'net you can expect some flak. Freedom works like that.

The horse has already left the barn in this case, but I can still think very poorly of the person that left the gate open.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I expect some flack. SOME... Didn't really expect to be burned at the stake though. The intolerant are always like that... This is how the left gets so many followers.

Haters talk trash...
    it gets people riled up...
    they flock to the left for support...
    politicians start lying about how we are such bad people...
    we lose our rights...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I think it's just a matter of not understanding how passionate some collectors are about these rifles. We don't see an old dusty rifle in an oddball caliber. We see a 100 year old piece of history. That rifle was manufactured in Germany and then sent to Brazil. It then was deployed to Italy in the hands of a Brazilian infantryman who was sent to fight the Axis. From there it is pure speculation (I don't pretend to know the real story of that particular rifle) but it is possible that the owner perished and it was then taken as a war trophy by a German soldier who in turn was either captured or killed by an American soldier. Somehow that rifle then made it's way back to Indiana carried by your relative. That's quite a journey.

People are usually passionate about something. Maybe it's baseball cards, or muscle cars or old Harley's. I've rode motorcycles my entire life but have never really been passionate about them. If a relative left me a 1940's Harley I wouldn't really appreciate it because it's just not my thing. I wouldn't try to modify it or send it to the scrapyard I would probably just give it to another family member who would appreciate it or sell it to someone who collects them and use the money for my hobbies (surplus rifles being at the top of the list). I realize a Brazilian rifle isn't a Harley but it seems like a fair comparison.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it's just a matter of not understanding how passionate some collectors are about these rifles. We don't see an old dusty rifle in an oddball caliber. We see a 100 year old piece of history. That rifle was manufactured in Germany and then sent to Brazil. It then was deployed to Italy in the hands of a Brazilian infantryman who was sent to fight the Axis. From there it is pure speculation (I don't pretend to know the real story of that particular rifle) but it is possible that the owner perished and it was then taken as a war trophy by a German soldier who in turn was either captured or killed by an American soldier. Somehow that rifle then made it's way back to Indiana carried by your relative. That's quite a journey.

All of which is still true in the current configuration. ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, yes and no. It's not really the same rifle anymore, but it is the same receiver and barrel. Well, most of the barrel anyway.

There are all sorts of threads about guys getting 03 Springfields/M1 Garands and getting non-original but period-correct furniture and accessories. Same receiver and such, but not the same as what it actually had on it when it was first put to use.

I get it, though. Its about honoring the past. My firearm wishlist includes several historic rifles that I'd only be interested in if they had period-correct (not necessarily original) furniture. It is a way to remember and pay homage to the people who did use them in their original (or in the case of K98s, the multitude of variations) configuration. Updating to modern materials seems like betraying that honor.

I do see it both ways. If you could take that rifle, go back in time to the first guy to touch it out of the factory and give him the option to use the original or the one with better stock, optics, etc., I wonder what he would've chosen. ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I expect some flack. SOME... Didn't really expect to be burned at the stake though. The intolerant are always like that... This is how the left gets so many followers.

Haters talk trash...
    it gets people riled up...
    they flock to the left for support...
    politicians start lying about how we are such bad people...
    we lose our rights...

Don't feel bad...The Spanish are still taking heat for melting down Inca gold art to make coins, ingots and something nice for Isabella to wear....

2Q==
    bogota_colombia_gold_museum.jpg

images

It was their war booty...They won it fair and square....

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    There are all sorts of threads about guys getting 03 Springfields/M1 Garands and getting non-original but period-correct furniture and accessories. Same receiver and such, but not the same as what it actually had on it when it was first put to use.

Forgive me for using the Harley comparison again but, if I took that hypothetical 1940's stock Harley and added accessories and painted it green to look like it served in the war (even though it didn't) most people would be ok with that. If I chopped it up and made it look like a modern crotch rocket there would be people lined up at my front door to strangle me. Lol

I get it, though. Its about honoring the past. My firearm wishlist includes several historic rifles that I'd only be interested in if they had period-correct (not necessarily original) furniture. It is a way to remember and pay homage to the people who did use them in their original (or in the case of K98s, the multitude of variations) configuration. Updating to modern materials seems like betraying that honor.

I do see it both ways. If you could take that rifle, go back in time to the first guy to touch it out of the factory and give him the option to use the original or the one with better stock, optics, etc., I wonder what he would've chosen. ;)

You clearly get it. Heck the Brazilian soldier would surely like the modern version better. Of course, he would like it even more if you handed him an AR or AK. :)

Top Bottom