Another historical Mauser bites the dust...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of you seem to be mighty confused about what freedom means. Yes, the o.p. is free to do what he wants with his rifle and his money. No one has questioned it, I seriously doubt anyone called the police to report him. There is a difference between questioning the wisdom of doing something, and denying the freedom to do it. You are free to set your underwear on fire, that doesn't make it a good idea. Nonetheless, if you wish to do so to prove you are a free man, don't let me stop you.

Having said that all of that, I am also a free man. You do not have the right to tell me how I have to react to what has been done. I am under no obligation to pat you on the back, and say "attaboy, yea, freedom." If you honestly believe that, then you really are no different than the thought police. Just to be clear, I am not claiming anyone is telling me what I have to think, I'm just saying that all this talk about "freedom" is nonsense.

You can do what you want with your property, but if you do something that you already know others won't like and then post it on the 'net you can expect some flak. Freedom works like that.

The horse has already left the barn in this case, but I can still think very poorly of the person that left the gate open.
    I don't know about that. I've had a few pairs where that was probably the best option. You know, once you get to a certain age, you can't always trust a "fart". :):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You could have just got a ruger scout rifle... It's a mauser action. Wouldn't have had to ruin a historical firearm.

It had more utility before you butchered it. Now you have a ww1 bring home family heirloom with chinese made junk on it.

You just made it harder for future generations to enjoy these pieces of history.

When it comes to historical items you need to remember, they will outlive you. You're just its care taker. You have a responsibility to preserve and protect it from vandalism so that future generations can enjoy its history.

The rifle you butchered is not some refurbished mosin. You could have sold it for more than a new ruger scout rifle costs, easily.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You could have just got a ruger scout rifle... It's a mauser action. Wouldn't have had to ruin a historical firearm.

It had more utility before you butchered it. Now you have a ww1 bring home family heirloom with chinese made junk on it.

You just made it harder for future generations to enjoy these pieces of history.

When it comes to historical items you need to remember, they will outlive you. You're just its care taker. You have a responsibility to preserve and protect it from vandalism so that future generations can enjoy its history.

The rifle you butchered is not some refurbished mosin. You could have sold it for more than a new ruger scout rifle costs, easily.

I can see you guys will never get it.

The value to a family member (NOT a collector) isn't in dollars. It's in taking the gun OFF the wall, and OUT INTO THE WOODS to be used. In so doing, the history of the previous generations of that family... the one who brought the rifle back home (NOT the rifle manufacturer, or the original military user) is remembered.

Yes, I could have bought a new scout rifle, but then it wouldn't have been Unkie's rifle. This rifle is a tribute to a family member who was a WWII veteran. THAT is the history of this gun. The hisory of THIS family, not the rifle manufacturer, or the original military user... Unkie was an Indiana farm boy drafted to serve in War. He fought in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy. He came home with this gun. He was a founding member of the VFW that I'm now the Commander of... The rifle itself is nothing next to the American hero who brought it home. Collector value means nothing here.

I, we, this family, could give two ****s about the rifle, or person who Unkie got it from in Italy... Just that he survived the war, and came home to us. Hell, I only got to know him for the last 14 or 15 years of his life. NOW the rifle will have some meaning. Now it's not just something to look at on the wall in my FIL's bedroom, but to use in the woods, and in doing so Unkie will walk with whoever is carrying it. THAT is the value, not dollars.

Future generations WILL enjoy its history, but this will never be sold. It will be passed down to HIS "future generations", so don't worry yourself that it's only worth a couple hundred now. My son will get it first. When he goes out with it, he will know that his grandpa's uncle brought it back with him from WWII. Its originality is not as important as its usefulness. It won't bring back any memories sitting in a gun cabinet, or closet, or hanging on a wall......

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

The value to a family member (NOT a collector) isn't in dollars. It's in taking the gun OFF the wall, and OUT INTO THE WOODS to be used. In so doing, the history of the previous generations of that family... the one who brought the rifle back home (NOT the rifle manufacturer, or the original military user) is remembered.

Yes, I could have bought a new scout rifle, but then it wouldn't have been Unkie's rifle. This rifle is a tribute to a family member who was a WWII veteran. THAT is the history of this gun. The hisory of THIS family, not the rifle manufacturer, or the original military user... Unkie was an Indiana farm boy drafted to serve in War. He fought in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy. He came home with this gun. He was a founding member of the VFW that I'm now the Commander of... The rifle itself is nothing next to the American hero who brought it home. Collector value means nothing here.

I, we, this family, could give two ****s about the rifle, or person who Unkie got it from in Italy... Just that he survived the war, and came home to us. Hell, I only got to know him for the last 14 or 15 years of his life. NOW the rifle will have some meaning. Now it's not just something to look at on the wall in my FIL's bedroom, but to use in the woods, and in doing so Unkie will walk with whoever is carrying it. THAT is the value, not dollars.

Future generations WILL enjoy its history, but this will never be sold. It will be passed down to HIS "future generations", so don't worry yourself that it's only worth a couple hundred now. My son will get it first. When he goes out with it, he will know that his grandpa's uncle brought it back with him from WWII. Its originality is not as important as its usefulness. It won't bring back any memories sitting in a gun cabinet, or closet, or hanging on a wall......

Your Uncle was truly a part of the greatest generation. Thank God for him and people like him. Thank you for your service as well Daddyusmaximus. :patriot:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I understand how you feel, and what YOU THINK future generations will think. However, I predict that eventually someone from a "future generation" will shake their heads with the sad thought that they cannot believe someone wiould do that to UNCLE'S rifle.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I get it. But some of INGO is going to grill if there's meat. But I get it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My uncle gave me his Dodge Daytona. I wasn't getting any use out of it, so I made some minor changes.:ingo:

bs7yXrm.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, you have made a fine looking rifle out of it. Many weapons were sporterized after the war though most just cut down the original stock.

I hope it brings home some venison.

How loud is it with the brake/flash suppressor?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Well, you have made a fine looking rifle out of it. Many weapons were sporterized after the war though most just cut down the original stock.

I hope it brings home some venison.

How loud is it with the brake/flash suppressor?

Don't know. Just got it from the gunsmith the other day when I took the photo of it to post. I've walked around my property with it, but haven't had it to the woods or range yet. Probably won't for a while. still recovering from a left shoulder surgery that the VA may have botched up. Going in next Fri for an EMG, as I've also got nerve damage in my neck as part of my injuries from Iraq. Another one of the reasons for wanting a comfy stock is my body can't take what it used to...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This kind of reminds me of the P40 found in the Egyptian desert a few years back.
    0591850d411509567f0c94cd7c5ee365.jpg

The Egyptian military museum improved that one too
    f4a76017094ab26320dd2091b2993359.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Egyptians took a priceless artifact that was in the condition that it served in and turned it into a cheap museum attraction.

Actually the condition that it served in would have flown, the condition it was found in was a state of disrepair. The display was much closer to the condition it would have served in.

Maybe they should have just left it to rot in the desert?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    They restored it.

Restoration is different from vandalization.

It's impossible to vandalize one's own firearm.

Unless you think that the history of the piece means that it's not really his and that he shouldn't be able to make his own choices about it.

Which, if that's the case, there are a few tribes who may have something to say about the existence of your house being an act of vandalism to a historic land.

History is good to remember, but remembering history can't be so important that progress is discouraged. (And only the owner's definition of progress matters.)

Top Bottom