• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    This is a very tragic event, one that hit's home pretty hard. The child that was killed is the grandson of one of our customers and a friend, a very good man that has taught my children in school and whom I respect and admire. The face book page is the correct one, enough said on that.

People, if you drink and drive or if you drink and shoot there will be consequences. Don't do it! Please keep this family that has lost a child so early in his life and our community in your prayers. We will need them.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    direct link please.
    i saw the unedit post you put up with the article great find.

so i wonder what set off the shooter?:dunno:

Yea, I forgot the rule about copying and pasting so I quickly edited. :(

Here's the link. What I was referring to are under the comments. If you scroll down, look for the comment by the editor of the Bluffton News-Banner.

Click here: Child dies after being shot near Ossian

Last edited:

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    And this latest shooting death of a child came all of one day after a Cedar Lake 4-year-old shot and killed himself with a handgun negligently left where he could access it.

That's not all

July 14, Connersville:
    2-year-old boy shot dead by 5-year-old brother

June 30, Martinsville:
    6-year-old shot dead by 11-year-old brother

February 16, Franklin County:
    4-year-old shot dead with father's (Sheriff Deputy) gun negligently left where he and his twin brother could get it.

November 24, 2010 (Thanksgiving), Logansport:
    6-year-old girl shot in head by 3-year old boy. She survived, barely, but will never recover.

That adds up to six shootings and five deaths in eight months. Five of the six shootings were with guns negligently left where kids could get them.

Okay, let's hear it, again, why children are supposed to have access to guns--both in violation of a basic safety rule and Indiana law (Neglect of a Dependent and Dangerous Control of a Firearm)

Alright NIFT, here you go again...Keep the guns and ammo inaccessible to children - Page 9 - INGunOwners

You neglected to answer my one question in your response, and also didn't post the long list of exemptions from IC 35-47-10-1, but why cite the whole law if the last half disproves your own argument?

For the record, it's pretty evident no one here is saying "children are supposed to have guns." Some people grew up in homes and had real-life experience seeing that children are, in fact, capable of learning proper gun safety, and even practicing such gun safety with no adult supervision. Do adults die from accidental discharges? Yes, and why does that happen? Because they weren't taught proper respect and understanding of the object in their hands. Should we lock guns up from all adults because there could, and are, fatal accidental discharges occurring? Seems like I'd rather teach them about Cooper's rules.

But with all due respect NIFT, since you replied to my post on "Keep the guns and ammo inaccessible to children," do you think the child in the story I referenced should have had no access to that .22 revolver?

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Alright NIFT, here you go again...Keep the guns and ammo inaccessible to children - Page 9 - INGunOwners

You neglected to answer my one question in your response, and also didn't post the long list of exemptions from IC 35-47-10-1, but why cite the whole law if the last half disproves your own argument?

For the record, it's pretty evident no one here is saying "children are supposed to have guns." Some people grew up in homes and had real-life experience seeing that children are, in fact, capable of learning proper gun safety, and even practicing such gun safety with no adult supervision. Do adults die from accidental discharges? Yes, and why does that happen? Because they weren't taught proper respect and understanding of the object in their hands. Should we lock guns up from all adults because there could, and are, fatal accidental discharges occurring? Seems like I'd rather teach them about Cooper's rules.

But with all due respect NIFT, since you replied to my post on "Keep the guns and ammo inaccessible to children," do you think the child in the story I referenced should have had no access to that .22 revolver?

What does this rant have to do with the boy who is dead in Ossian? He was shot by an intoxicated adult. There was no AD involved here, and no child left unsupervised who had access to a firearm w/o the necessary training and discipline. What does your post have to do with THIS topic? NIFT's list of other cases aren't related to this particular instance either, other than they were also kids killed by a gun.

Could you take your petty rant somewhere else? I have a suggestion....how about back to the thread you referenced? Thanks.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    And who live in Ossian and are age 46? I think everything will be ok......

Thanks for clearing it up.

I can't begin to guess how many lives are forever changed by one senseless act.

The law puts a lot of emphasis on bad intent over consequences. Most of the time,I go along with that, but when something like this happens, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime. Drunk driver kills someone, or an idiot takes a shot at a pier and kills someone, the victims are just as dead.

When this guy gets out of jail, he'll be only 50.

Maybe they'll be able to stack some other charges and sentences will run consecutively.

Last edited:

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    What does this rant have to do with the boy who is dead in Ossian? He was shot by an intoxicated adult. There was no AD involved here, and no child left unsupervised who had access to a firearm w/o the necessary training and discipline. What does your post have to do with THIS topic? NIFT's list of other cases aren't related to this particular instance either, other than they were also kids killed by a gun.

Could you take your petty rant somewhere else? I have a suggestion....how about back to the thread you referenced? Thanks.

Wow...forget to have your coffee this morning?

Quote directly from NIFT: Okay, let's hear it, again, why children are supposed to have access to guns

I'm responding to this, and sure it might not be 110% on topic, but he posted it here on this thread, and it's a fairly similar discussion. I've got a suggestion for you: If you usually get this upset over irrelevancy, why don't you go clean up one of the other 10,000 off-topic threads? Thanks!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    WOW....prayers to the family. What could you of done to avoid this? What a worthless drunk an to tell me he'll probably only get 4 yrs....unbelievable, we know he wasn't thinking thats for sure, or was he? He either didn't see anyone an decided to shoot the light out.....which is probably going to be his story, but it wasn't his light, its night, its shooting towards water...sad thing is this drunks family will probably feel sorry for him, he should rot in jail...you can tell by his mug shot how tore up he is about it. How does a father deal with this...am I the only one that had kids an would tear this guy up?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    While drinking and shooting do not mix... the amount of alcohol that would cause a blackout would not make me fire at a pier in the dark...

This is not about gun safety, or alcohol... this is about a really stupid person acting like an idiot.

It is regrettable that other people had to pay for his ignorance.

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    A very sad day. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with this family.

I am one who thinks gun laws should be changed/crafted to be smarter, but I also understand that a country can not legislate or stop stupidity no matter how many laws are passed. The comedian Ron White said it best; "You can't fix stupid."

While there is very little we can do to stop something like this from ever happening again, we sure as hell should make punishments much stronger. If what folks have said previously is accurate, only serving 4 years for this kind of tragedy is not justice.

Putting all emotion aside, I understand that terrible accidents are going to happen and are simply a harsh fact of life, but once a person decides to drink and pick up a firearm, a bow & arrow, a knife, drive a car, and there is a death involved.....the accident excuse should no longer be valid, period.

Just my two cents.....now I am going to go and hug my kids, let them know how much I love them, and have us say a prayer together for this little boy and his family.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A very sad day. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with this family.

I am one who thinks gun laws should be changed/crafted to be smarter, but I also understand that a country can not legislate or stop stupidity no matter how many laws are passed. The comedian Ron White said it best; "You can't fix stupid."

While there is very little we can do to stop something like this from ever happening again, we sure as hell should make punishments much stronger. If what folks have said previously is accurate, only serving 4 years for this kind of tragedy is not justice.

Putting all emotion aside, I understand that terrible accidents are going to happen and are simply a harsh fact of life, but once a person decides to drink and pick up a firearm, a bow & arrow, a knife, drive a car, and there is a death involved.....the accident excuse should no longer be valid, period.

Just my two cents.....now I am going to go and hug my kids, let them know how much I love them, and have us say a prayer together for this little boy and his family.

But your logic falls into the same flawed logic of "banning all <<insert item here>>". You CANNOT control human kind's actions with words/laws.

Say we do indeed make a new law that says if you are drunk and kill someone with a rifle we will cut off your hand/cut off your leg or even say kill you. OK that law would still NOT stop this from happening.

The shooter choose to drink and get drunk, he then choose to fire the weapon and kill someone. Having that law on the books would still not have stopped him.

Heck we have laws now on the books for other type of behavior (you can not just wake up and go down to the store and kill the clerk for a pack of smokes_ & yet humans do that day in and day out around the world.

You can't fix STUPID and you can not control man by rule of law.
    I'm not saying that man should not be punished but a harsher law still would not have stopped this from occurring. Nor would the banning of guns, nor would make that place (or any place) safer, nor would removing alcohol, nor would banning fishing, etc..

This concept may sound hard and cold but the fact is life is NOT fair and none of us know how long we have to live. Make each day count and give thanks for those loved ones you have around. Bad things can happen anywhere and sadly this family LIFE has decided to act on this week.

Parents should NEVER EVER have to bury their children. :(

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    jediah,

Maybe you misunderstood me, or I just didn't word it correctly. (pretty common for me, just ask my wife!!! LOL). I did not say harsher punishments would prevent these types of situations, but at minimum it could create more of a sense of justice for the victims & communities involved. So I believe we are in total agreement here.

What I would like to see are smarter laws on the books. No, not a ban on this and that, I believe that most bans just sweep problems under the carpet and do more harm than good anyway. (Prohibition, Drug War, ect)...but mandatory safety training and passing a range test would be fair. Not really much different than what one does to get a drivers license.

I think everyone would agree that carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility, and one should be competent, and feel confident, in how to do it safely. I personally feel a lot more Americans would carry for self defense if they had a better understanding, and were more educated, on the subject through this kind of policy.

A lot of folks did not grow up around firearms, are afraid of them, or see tragic stories like this and jump on the gun-control bandwagon out of raw emotion. I feel mandatory training would be good for the State (revenue), it would be good for the community (armed, educated, and safe citizens) and good for the gun community as a whole.

Also, I would think that promoting this type of policy would be much more effective when dealing with anti-gun movements than just throwing the Second Amendment and a few colorful slogans their way every time the debate heats up. I could be wrong, as I know both sides are very passionate, but it just makes sense to me. I often hear passionate gun folks say "an armed nation is a polite nation." Well then, I would like to tweak it a bit to "An armed, trained, and aware nation would be EXTREMELY polite"! ;)

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread into some kind of a gun law policy debate and take away from the loss of this little boy. These stories just bring out a lot of emotion in me and I just want to be a part of helping educate myself, and other people, to do everything in our power to keep people happy, healthy, and safe. While yes, something like this might not have been preventable, but the dialogue that it creates might save someone elses life.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    I think there is something going on here...spiritual maybe???? That is an awefull lot of kids being whacked for no reason.:dunno:

Top Bottom