• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Maybe it is me......but was I the only person who saw the"victim" lean very very fast toward the glovebox,and the officer grab and try to stop him from doing so?(watch the video again......). The cop had his papers in his left hand,told him no,no,no, tried to stop him,........Looks like a no brainier......the good video is just trying to surface.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    In Ohio we have duty to inform. Due to my work I am often on the way in to work early in the morning and am stopped a couple of times a year because the police are looking for drunks at that hour (which I have no problem with). When the officer runs my plates he knows I am permitted. i sit with the window down and my hands visible on the steering wheel, when the officer comes to the car I immediately inform (this is a requirement of the law) and wait for further instructions.

Quite often I will be asked where the firearm is and then, after answering, asked to keep my hands away from it. We will discuss the reasons I was stopped, the officer will see I am on the way to work and that I am not the type of stop he is looking for and I will be on my way. I don't really mind this interaction because when I inform I feel I have just confirmed for the officer that this will be the most dangerous type of interaction for him, the interaction with a definitely armed individual. Although the statistics that permitted individuals have a very low crime rate may be comfortring to some, it is really cold comfort. The officer initiating the stop has no idea what he's really got until he walks up to that window.

I wish the dynamic was otherwise, but it is what it is. The song and dance is the price I pay in my state to be able to carry concealed. I'm white and live in the suburbs, so you could argue I'm less likely to get shot in these encounters if I make a mistake but you'll forgive me if i don't wish to test that theory. I have a number of friends who are LEO and I have discussed this with them also, with an eye toward what they would like to see in this type of encounter. This in no way makes me feel like I am failing to defend 2A or that I am some kind of quisling to the police state. The time to argue Constitutional rights is not at 3am at the side of the road with one of the good guys. If there needs to be argument, it's at a later time and that's what lawyers and the courts are for

I`m pleased that in Indiana, we have no ridiculous "duty to inform".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe it is me......but was I the only person who saw the"victim" lean very very fast toward the glovebox,and the officer grab and try to stop him from doing so?(watch the video again......). The cop had his papers in his left hand,told him no,no,no, tried to stop him,........Looks like a no brainier......the good video is just trying to surface.

You probably also saw him throwing gang signs and 5kg of Colombia's finest in his lap.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Gregr, when LEO run your plates, do they know from that if you're LTCH?

I cannot say with certainty, although some here have said that Indiana ties that into the LEO system. So possibly they see that a citizen has been issued a permit. That doesn`t necessarily mean an individual is carrying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No I did not.I will watch again.At the 6:28 minute,they do put a gun in his lap though. Back at you Chip.

Let's go to the video. Link of vid you're speaking of? Oh, and significance (since we know he had a gun on his person)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like you,I probably saw it.........

You gave a time stamp. Given there are various videos of different run times, I'm for the videos you're speaking of, so I can go directly to the time you stated. Doesn't seem like all that difficult a thing to provide.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I cannot say with certainty, although some here have said that Indiana ties that into the LEO system. So possibly they see that a citizen has been issued a permit. That doesn`t necessarily mean an individual is carrying.

But I suspect it colors how they treat the encounter, could be either positive or negative depending on the officer. Our Leos know we are CCW when they run the plate. The duty to inform seems to have been added in case you are driving a vehicle not registered to the permit holder and was added to the original legislation at the behest of law enforcement organizations s.a. FOP

Some light at the end of the tunnel:

Ohio Considers Removing 'Duty to Inform' for Concealed Carriers - The Truth About Guns

For us there is an uncomfortable grey area because the duty to inform is built around this language:

(B) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

[emphasis is mine] So, the question is; if I'm riding in another person's car and that driver is traffic stopped, what is my duty as a CCW holder - and it turns on the definition or whether I am stopped for a law enforcement purpose (in the mind of that officer) in this circumstance

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    But I suspect it colors how they treat the encounter, could be either positive or negative depending on the officer. Our Leos know we are CCW when they run the plate. The duty to inform seems to have been added in case you are driving a vehicle not registered to the permit holder and was added to the original legislation at the behest of law enforcement organizations s.a. FOP

Some light at the end of the tunnel:

Ohio Considers Removing 'Duty to Inform' for Concealed Carriers - The Truth About Guns

For us there is an uncomfortable grey area because the duty to inform is built around this language:

[emphasis is mine] So, the question is; if I'm riding in another person's car and that driver is traffic stopped, what is my duty as a CCW holder - and it turns on the definition or whether I am stopped for a law enforcement purpose (in the mind of that officer) in this circumstance

Seeing that in the Castile case, it ended with his murder, I have no inclination to test whether I have a law-enforcement professional, or a little girl who will wet his panties and execute me upon learning I`m armed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Gregr, when LEO run your plates, do they know from that if you're LTCH?

Not exactly. If you're registered on the car they can run your name after they run the plate. The LTCH database isn't tied to vehicle registration, but from what I understand is tied to drivers license.

Last time I had an officer ask was after he ran my DL and had the warning written up. He comes up to the car and asks if I have a firearm. I answered honestly and said yes. He asked where, I told him right hip. He then says I'm supposed to tell them when stopped, I asked why? IN has no duty to inform. He then just said "well you should..." Gave me my paperwork and warning and told me to have a good night.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That is an old article and has several things wrong. The pistol wasn't sitting on his thigh it was in his pocket, he did have a valid ccp, and the little girl was in the backseat. That's just for starters.

Makes one wonder why some people are so wiling to post such obviously false stories. It's like they hear an early narrative, it fit their worldview, they take it as truth, and don't bother to revisit the issue once the facts are known. Pretty interesting, given the subject and how it relates to members of this forum.....oh wait, nah, that couldn't be it, could it?

Kut (thinks he knows why not all gun owners are viewed the same)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Not exactly. If you're registered on the car they can run your name after they run the plate. The LTCH database isn't tied to vehicle registration, but from what I understand is tied to drivers license.

Last time I had an officer ask was after he ran my DL and had the warning written up. He comes up to the car and asks if I have a firearm. I answered honestly and said yes. He asked where, I told him right hip. He then says I'm supposed to tell them when stopped, I asked why? IN has no duty to inform. He then just said "well you should..." Gave me my paperwork and warning and told me to have a good night.

Yup, one more example of "I know the law"..."Oh, well...I really don`t, but just do what the hell I say"...

Ahhh, no, the law states clearly I don`t need to inform you, even if you demand to know.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Makes one wonder why some people are so wiling to post such obviously false stories. It's like they hear an early narrative, it fit their worldview, they take it as truth, and don't bother to revisit the issue once the facts are known. Pretty interesting, given the subject and how it relates to members of this forum.....oh wait, nah, that couldn't be it, could it?

Kut (thinks he knows why not all gun owners are viewed the same)

You mean like "Hands up, don't shoot"?

Top Bottom