Another poll (MSNBC). Should you be allowed to carry a gun in public?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    People who read/watch/listen to MSNBC are not going to change their mind one way or the other. Just like VOX.

I disagree. Why talk to anybody ever if that’s your philosophy? I think people should be confronted with the truth as often as possible. That seems like a way better strategy then ignoring a large subset of the country “because they’ll never change”.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I disagree. Why talk to anybody ever if that’s your philosophy? I think people should be confronted with the truth as often as possible. That seems like a way better strategy then ignoring a large subset of the country “because they’ll never change”.

If you saw a poll go the other way (say more restrictive gun control)... would you change your mind about firearms?

Our truth is not the same truth as their truth is not the same to us.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If you saw a poll go the other way (say more restrictive gun control)... would you change your mind about firearms?

You have to consider the source and who’s being polled, but if polls from a variety of sources showed over and over and over that people are anti 2A then it would change my mind on how I think guns are viewed in America. I think the 2nd Amendment and guns in general still have support with a large majority of Americans, but if there is consistent evidence that suggests otherwise then yeah I’d be pretty dumb not to change my mind don’t ya think?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Our truth is not the same truth as their truth is not the same to us.

This is correct if you think there are no universal truths, which I believe leftists are trying push towards that, but universal truths exist nonetheless. So yes there is truth.

It’s true that one of the ideas behind the 2nd Amendment was to give citizens the opportunity to defend themselves against tyrannical government if necessary. That is truth.

It’s true that malevolence exists and to remove people’s ability to defend themselves is immoral. That is truth.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    You have to consider the source and who’s being polled, but if polls from a variety of sources showed over and over and over that people are anti 2A then it would change my mind on how I think guns are viewed in America. I think the 2nd Amendment and guns in general still have support with a large majority of Americans, but if there is consistent evidence that suggests otherwise then yeah I’d be pretty dumb not to change my mind don’t ya think?

Sounds to me like you are willing to give up a god given right based on the outcome of a few polls.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Sounds to me like you are willing to give up a god given right based on the outcome of a few polls.

Nope. Didn’t say anything about giving up my rights. I said it would change how I thought guns are viewed in America. Again, I think guns and the 2A are still viewed favorably by a majority of Americans, but if the evidence started to suggest otherwise, I would have no choice but to change my mind.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Nope. Didn’t say anything about giving up my rights. I said it would change how I thought guns are viewed in America.

So to clarify, you would change how you feel about firearms in america because the majority says so.... but you wouldnt change how you feel about your 2A rights?

Did we just go full circle.

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So to clarify, you would change how you feel about firearms in america.... but you wouldnt change how you feel about your 2A rights?

I mean, evidence is what it is. If a majority of Americans are against firearms and the 2A then ok. I’d continue to be thankful that we live in a constitutional republic and not a democracy and I’d continue to support the right to keep and bear arms. But I haven’t seen any evidence that that is true.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    All I’m saying is, to make a blanket statement like “what’s the point? Nobody’s ever going to change their mind” is not a good strategy.

but you just admitted you wouldnt change how you felt about your 2A rights based on the the outcome of the poll.

Its like... whats the point of this argument.... JollyMon is not going to change his mind

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    but you just admitted you wouldnt change how you felt about your 2A rights based on the the outcome of the poll.

Yeah we’re just talking past each other. To me, polls like that aren’t about the validity of the 2nd Amendment, but more about the public perception and support for it. I think it still has majority support, but I WOULD change my mind if shown otherwise.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Its like... whats the point of this argument.... JollyMon is not going to change his mind

Let’s just say for example:

Option 1 - If people are never confronted with the truth, then there is a 0% chance that they will change their mind.

Option 2 - If people are confronted with the truth, maybe it goes up 20%. Maybe. Maybe it’s even lower like 5%, but it’s not 0%.

So which option is a better strategy? Option 1 “because they’ll never change”. Or option 2 because just maybe they will.

If you continue to pick option 1 then you are EXACTLY like the MSM types that you were moaning about.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Let’s just say for example:

Option 1 - If people are never confronted with the truth, then there is a 0% chance that they will change their mind.

Option 2 - If people are confronted with the truth, maybe it goes up 20%. Maybe. Maybe it’s even lower like 5%, but it’s not 0%.

So which option is a better strategy? Option 1 “because they’ll never change”. Or option 2 because just maybe they will.

If you continue to pick option 1 then you are EXACTLY like the MSM types that you were moaning about.

Ohh this is still going on... sorry I checked out of this thread 10 minutes ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I interpreted CP's point as he would change his view about how others view the 2A, not how he views the 2A.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Simply clearing cookies in your browser will allow one to vote again. Today it is down to 52% so I would imagine that they figure they can support their narrative if it runs long enough.

Top Bottom