• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    AK, AR10 (308), AR15, SKS all will kill something very dead. All of those calibers will do it at the ranges that most shooters can actually make hits at. 308 has a ballistic advantage at extended ranges and hits with more power, but does so at a cost of weight and round capacity - not to mention ammo cost.

But the first issue is this - learn how to make the hits. Pick any of the above and then get training. Frankly, I would advise an AR first because it is is the midway point in cost and yet has the accuracy that will make your training experience most useful in a quick fashion.

Training will determine outcome far more than ammo type or brand of rifle. A skilled rifleman with an SKS can easily outshoot an untrained shooter with a nice AR or AK. Get trained, get skilled and then match the equipment to match you.

You are far more important than the gear you buy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Why not an AK in .308? Buy a Saiga .308 and convert back to AK specs and enjoy the reliability of an AK with the punch of the .308. I have no first hand experience, but have seen postings of stock Saiga .308s doing 3 shot groups touching at 100 yards. The conversion back to AK spec is not much different (if at all) than it is for a Saiga in 7.62x39. You can get them in either long or short barrel versions.

Oliver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Grant county,IN
    I plan on staying home if/when it happens. I have plenty of and to live on. bolt guns in any good caliber for my long range then whatever i can get that shoots fast and farely straight for anything inside of 200 yards. shotguns and .22's for hunting. My big problem is simplisity, I will have a smallish group living with me and most dont know how to shot (or dont want to learn YET). so if/when it happens I wil have to trin then fast, so the easyer the weapon the better. also something to think about is if staying home u will need more ammo than normal. always have to be ready to bug out. two or three vehicals (and spare parts) with treated fual and extra weapons and ammo and food stored in them ready at any moment is needed. I can stop a lot of things but armored vehicals and aircraft is a hole new ball game. Just something to think about.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Why not an AK in .308? Buy a Saiga .308 and convert back to AK specs and enjoy the reliability of an AK with the punch of the .308. I have no first hand experience, but have seen postings of stock Saiga .308s doing 3 shot groups touching at 100 yards. The conversion back to AK spec is not much different (if at all) than it is for a Saiga in 7.62x39. You can get them in either long or short barrel versions.
    I didn't realize you could do that.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana

Absolutely this!! I have a Saiga .308 converted. It is THE best of both worlds. If you like the .308 and the AK then this is heaven.

One observation though, if you go this route, and you go with the 16 in. bbl? Invest in a muzzle brake/flash hider. I don't have one yet on mine. And will get one soon. The flash from a .308 coming out of a 16 in. bbl is quite impressive.

As far as accuracy? I can hit a paper plate all day long at 100 yrds. Plenty accurate for me with "open" sites.

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Absolutely this!! I have a Saiga .308 converted. It is THE best of both worlds. If you like the .308 and the AK then this is heaven.

One observation though, if you go this route, and you go with the 16 in. bbl? Invest in a muzzle brake/flash hider. I don't have one yet on mine. And will get one soon. The flash from a .308 coming out of a 16 in. bbl is quite impressive.

As far as accuracy? I can hit a paper plate all day long at 100 yrds. Plenty accurate for me with "open" sites.
    How much does something like this cost?

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    How much does something like this cost?

A stock Saiga, a little less than 500 dollars, and the conversion kit can be anywhere from 100 dollars up to over 200 dollars, depending on your wants and likes. I bought mine already converted off of Gunbroker.com for a little over 700. A good website if your interested in this is forum.Saiga-12.com . From what I've read the conversion is not too hard.

Here is mine.
    24wrbkn.jpg

Top Bottom