• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    people at my work have gotten notifications of this breach via mail. I expect I'll get a letter as well in the next couple of days.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This is potentially a lot worse than having someone get your credit card or account numbers, which can be changed. They may have your SS#, address, email, etc so that seems like real identity risk.

I changed the password on the email that is registered with Anthem. A lot of accounts/applications send email verifications before opening accounts or changing other account passwords. You don't want the hackers getting in your email if they already have the other info.

I haven't received notice from Anthem, but we've unfortunately had Anthem policy for a few years. And 80 million is a darn high percentage of the population.

Heck, maybe they'll use my SS number to file taxes and I won't owe so much this year..... ?? :rockwoot:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    i've got anthem, but you can't squeeze blood from a stone. the benefits of being broke.

From what I hear, identity theft is still a nightmare. Most people are eligible for SOME type of credit. The worse your credit rating, the higher the interest rate.

My guess though is that Anthem will pay for a monitoring subscription for everyone affected. They certainly should do that, at the least.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I received an email notice this morning of the breach. Seems they got email, SS#, other in, on some people. Not good. They are paying for monitoring those affected.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    FYI

For 18 months or so some group used my information to build up $250,000 plus in bills before the debt collectors found me. They are sneaky and very good at getting funds this way. I bet a few yachts will be purchased from all the money they get from the data breach.

I say Russians or Chinese......

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Here is the email:

To Our Members:

Safeguarding your personal, financial and medical information is one of our top priorities, and because of that, we have state-of-the-art information security systems to protect your data. However, despite our efforts, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. These attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s IT system and have obtained personal information from our current and former members such as their names, birthdays, medical IDs/social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Based on what we know now, there is no evidence that credit card or medical information (such as claims, test results or diagnostic codes) were targeted or compromised.

Once the attack was discovered, Anthem immediately made every effort to close the security vulnerability, contacted the FBI and began fully cooperating with their investigation. Anthem has also retained Mandiant, one of the world’s leading cybersecurity firms, to evaluate our systems and identify solutions based on the evolving landscape.

Anthem’s own associates’ personal information – including my own – was accessed during this security breach. We join you in your concern and frustration, and I assure you that we are working around the clock to do everything we can to further secure your data.

Anthem will individually notify current and former members whose information has been accessed. We will provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge so that those who have been affected can have peace of mind. We have created a dedicated website - AnthemFacts.com - where members can access information such as frequent questions and answers. As we learn more, we will continually update this website and share that information with you. We have also established a dedicated toll-free number that both current and former members can call if they have questions related to this incident. That number is: 1-877-263-7995.

I want to personally apologize to each of you for what has happened, as I know you expect us to protect your information. We will continue to do everything in our power to make our systems and security processes better and more secure, and hope that we can earn back your trust and confidence in Anthem.

Sincerely,

Joseph Swedish
    President and CEO
    Anthem, Inc.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gosh darn it to heck, is this year gonna start out like last year? I already got one new card a couple of weeks ago because somebody was buying amazon prime and such with mine. Man I wish I knew who to punch in the face.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    From what I hear, identity theft is still a nightmare. Most people are eligible for SOME type of credit. The worse your credit rating, the higher the interest rate.

My guess though is that Anthem will pay for a monitoring subscription for everyone affected. They certainly should do that, at the least.

I believe they will for those that are affected, per our company email notice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

They should do a lot more than that. These companies that allow (yes I said allow) these breaches to occur need to get hammered more than this.

By the way, this didn't happen just recently. The website/domain URL being used to give the info was registered back in mid December.

Domain Name: ANTHEMFACTS.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1890143323_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Update Date: 2014-12-13T16:04:36Z
    Creation Date: 2014-12-13T16:04:36Z

Last edited:

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    By the way, this didn't happen just recently. The website/domain URL being used to give the info was registered back in mid December.

Seems like every time this happens it comes out that the company knew for months.

Could be the companies just hope no one finds out, or maybe law enforcement wanted some time to track the culprits while they were still unsuspecting. Who knows.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    This breach reportedly included more than just current members. From what I understand anyone that had anthem at some point is included. As noted above, a malicious individual with this much personal data can definitely do some harm. I seriously doubt that Anthem will cover credit monitoring for all involved. LAst Christmas when Target was hit they didnt help anyone...

Top Bottom