• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Transunion freeze site temporarily unavailable...

You can call their 800 number and do it on their automated phone system. That's what I had to do. I couldn't get their site to work at all. It's probably overwhelmed today. The phone line had no waiting...just automated and follow the prompts.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Just to be safe I'm putting a freeze on my two youngens at all 3 credit companies. If you intend to request this I wouldn't wait for whatever portion of 80 million to get on board and start the Postal service / credit service data entry fandango that's about to occur.:twocents:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Went to the in.gov and used the links to do the freeze. Thanks for the heads up! :ingo:

What a pain in the ass.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Here is the email I got today:

Members who may have been impacted by the cyber attack against us should be aware of scam email campaigns targeting current and former members. These scams, designed to capture personal information (known as "phishing") are designed to appear as if they are from our company and the emails include a "click here" link for credit monitoring. Our company DID NOT send these emails.

• DO NOT click on any links in email.
    • DO NOT reply to the email or reach out to the senders in any way.
    • DO NOT supply any information on the website that may open, if you clicked on a link in email.
    • DO NOT open any attachments that arrive with email.
    We are not calling members regarding the cyber attack and are not asking for credit card information or social security numbers over the phone.
    This outreach is from scam artists who are trying to trick consumers into sharing personal data. There is no indication that the scam email campaigns are being conducted by those that committed the cyber attack, or that the information accessed in the attack is being used by the scammers.
    Our Company will contact current and former members via mail delivered by the U.S. Postal Service about the cyber attack with specific information on how to enroll in credit monitoring. Affected members will receive free credit monitoring and ID protection services.
    For more guidance on recognizing scam email, please visit the FTC Website: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing.
    We have created a dedicated website (www.AnthemFacts.com) where everyone can access information such as frequently asked questions and answers.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Froze mine today over the automated phone thingy. And as a bonus I get to pay a fee to "thaw" MY credit if I need to have it run for something. Going to look into Lifelock too. $10 a month might be a small price to pay to avoid serious crap in the future. Sign of the times

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but freezing your reports does NOT stop someone from opening a credit card in your name. IF that issuer checks your credit first, they will find it frozen and deny the application.

not all credit issuers check your credit report before they issue you a card or a loan.

Be be sure we clarify this before you think simply freezing your reports will stop ID theft with your information.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Froze mine today over the automated phone thingy. And as a bonus I get to pay a fee to "thaw" MY credit if I need to have it run for something. Going to look into Lifelock too. $10 a month might be a small price to pay to avoid serious crap in the future. Sign of the times
    Just make sure you read Lifelock's fine print. They advertise well. Not worth it IMO.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I did the online credit freeze for all three. They were successful except there was a snafu with the Equifax one that neglected to provide a confirmation with a PIN. So the good news is the report access has been frozen but the PITA news is that I have to send a written request with proof of identity for a replacement PIN.

This sucks. -1,000,000 Hackers :ar15:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is potentially a lot worse than having someone get your credit card or account numbers, which can be changed. They may have your SS#, address, email, etc so that seems like real identity risk.

I changed the password on the email that is registered with Anthem. A lot of accounts/applications send email verifications before opening accounts or changing other account passwords. You don't want the hackers getting in your email if they already have the other info.

I haven't received notice from Anthem, but we've unfortunately had Anthem policy for a few years. And 80 million is a darn high percentage of the population.

Heck, maybe they'll use my SS number to file taxes and I won't owe so much this year..... ?? :rockwoot:

I have Anthem BC/BS, but haven't gotten notification. However, Yahoo made me change my email password two days ago, allegedly for "suspicious activity on my account". I thought it might be because a friend had sent me an "anti-Obama/Obama Administration" email, but maybe it's related to the Anthem thing?

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Here is the email I got today:

Members who may have been impacted by the cyber attack against us should be aware of scam email campaigns targeting current and former members. These scams, designed to capture personal information (known as "phishing") are designed to appear as if they are from our company and the emails include a "click here" link for credit monitoring. Our company DID NOT send these emails.

• DO NOT click on any links in email.
    • DO NOT reply to the email or reach out to the senders in any way.
    • DO NOT supply any information on the website that may open, if you clicked on a link in email.
    • DO NOT open any attachments that arrive with email.
    We are not calling members regarding the cyber attack and are not asking for credit card information or social security numbers over the phone.
    This outreach is from scam artists who are trying to trick consumers into sharing personal data. There is no indication that the scam email campaigns are being conducted by those that committed the cyber attack, or that the information accessed in the attack is being used by the scammers.
    Our Company will contact current and former members via mail delivered by the U.S. Postal Service about the cyber attack with specific information on how to enroll in credit monitoring. Affected members will receive free credit monitoring and ID protection services.
    For more guidance on recognizing scam email, please visit the FTC Website: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing.
    We have created a dedicated website (www.AnthemFacts.com) where everyone can access information such as frequently asked questions and answers.

Interesting that they tell you NOT to click on any links in an email you might receive, yet they include not one, but TWO links in the email.

How do you know this email is legit ? :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just in time for tax season!
    Crooks are hungry for your name, address and SS#. With that they can file in your behalf for your tax refund. And they will get it.
    Then when you file you will get a letter telling you you already filed.

So get ready to file with a dozen agencies proving who you are and alerting them you have been a victim of identity theft.
    It is Horse Shix. There is no check by the IRS for who you are. They just send the crook your refund.
    After you have been pooched the IRS then gives you a PIN to use on your return when you file in the future.

Fn crooks are having a heyday pocketing your refund right now.

Indiana's department of revenue has implemented at least some check. I filed my return a few weeks ago, and got a letter in the mail a couple of days ago from them. I had to log in to their website and complete an "Identity Confirmation Quiz", which had questions regarding both my personal history (Mother's name, etc.) and the history of my property (ie. Property taxes, area code for my address, etc.). I had to complete the quiz within 3 minutes in order for them to continue processing my return. It appears that it's just a random check, and not done for every return though. I'm not aware of any such program at the federal level.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's an impossible situation for them. Fraud is so huge that they need demographic match with hospitals and doctors to ensure it's the correct patient. That means anthem needs to have interfaces with dozens if not hundreds of software packages that allows transmission and confirmation of demographics. It's bound to have a flaw.

hackers will always be able to enter systems through gaps in security. Always. How do you prevent it? Unhook from outside connections, which renders your network about useless.

this is the new normal.

Thank goodness the personal injury lawyers have arrived on scene

Indy law firm files lawsuit on behalf of Anthem customers | WISH-TV

gotta love it when a criminal steals your data and you get sued because of if. They have to prove anthem was negligent in their security I'm sure, which these people would have zero idea about. My first impression is: garbage

Except, it is really not "their" data. It has been supplied to them and there are conditions with that data being supplied. I'm guessing with some forensics, it will be determined how the attack successfully occurred. I know it is difficult to protect against hackers, but you would be surprised how many companies are not taking the steps they should be taking to protect it either. A few big hits in the wallet may be what is needed. Of course, there are always vulnerabilities in software/hardware, etc but often there has to be some cascading failures/lapse in security for these things to happen and fall in place.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Went to the AG's site and put credit freezes on our accounts at the credit bureaus. Now we just have to do the kids and that requires doing things by snail mail.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So...are they going to fire the CIO? CEO? IT manager? Why or why not?

This is NOT the first theft they've had...2013 was the last BIG one...I guess they didn't learn.

Top Bottom