• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Any suggestions where I could take a Winchester 1890 .22 long (octagon barrel) for an appraisal? Or even just send pics.
    I don't want to sell, just want to know the approx. value for insurance purposes. It was my grandfathers.
    There's too much variation on GunBroker to get a sense of its value.

I also have a really old single shot 12g that belonged to my great-grandfather. Last time it was shot, it came apart at the break action!

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

iuhoosier95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Which 1890 is it? 1st model solid frame, second model takedown, 2nd model takedown case colored, or third model takedown blued? For insurance purposes blue book of guns is probably your best bet... While not 100% accurate for resale it is a good starting point for what you are looking to use the info for.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Thanks. I don't know enough about to even answer your questions. If I posted some pics, would you be able to help pinpoint?
    Of interest, the model is not on the barrel, rather on the top of the stock below/behind the hammer. Most of the pics I've seen have the model # on the barrel.
    And there is a big thumbscrew, so I assume that is the take down model (much like my take-down Marlin 39a).

Didn't know about the Blue book of guns either! Thanks! https://bluebookofgunvalues.com

iuhoosier95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Sounds like the takedown model for sure, is the receiver case colored or blued? What's the serial number (put xx for the last few if you like) as we can date it by that?

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Ok, my friend Google is always helpful.
    I actually have 2 of these, one from my father-in-law, 1 from my grandfather.

1900, 2nd model take-down. Action is a little sticky, but probably ok with some cleaning and lube
    1902, 2nd model take-down. Action is very smooth, as is, but needs cleaned and lubed

The 1902 is drilled/tapped for the rear 'tang' sight. And I don't know if significant, but the rear sight on the barrel is reversed compared to the 1900.

And with a little more light, I see the mfg markings on the barrel. A little farther toward the end of the barrel, and I was looking near the breech end.

I don't know how to tell the difference between colored and blued. Here are some pics if you'd like to take a look:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qmzhonx4ad6fjda/XcNvq-JN9c

Here's one of the better pics shows bigger in the above link:
    View attachment 25648

Cheers!
    Mike

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I tripped across an old west smith and wesson model 3? in my wife's grandpa's stuff. I used blue book and bought a 1 gun pass for it and got me close enough.

iuhoosier95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Case colored is the finish you see where it looks rainbowish, both of those are blued. The one manufactured in 1902 would actually be a third model. The 1900 year would be the second model. The finish is hard to judge in photos though so I don't want to tell you a %. One of them has some rust spotting that is visible (make sure to oil them really well and some may not show as much). The second model ranges from $550-$3000 (50% is worth $1250)based on condition, the third is from $250-3000 (50% bluing is worth $550).

I highly recommend getting a blue book though as it even has detailed photos of % of finish remaining to give you an idea where they would land, as well as a massive listing of about any gun you could imagine and "going rates" (which is a great starting point). Nice little rifles with great history for you since they were in the family.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Wow, thanks a bunch for the insight! I'll clean them up (inside and out) and give a good oil rubdown. Been thinking of building a display with these.
    Would be a neat conversation piece.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To mjpell,

Just a word of caution, but when you "clean them up" make certain you do NOTHING to remove or degrade from the original finish and patina!

These rifles will hold more value with collectors of such, and collectors want as close to original condition as possible.

If you watch Antique Road Show you will often times see someone with what was a very valuable collectors piece, until someone CLEANED it up by removing the finish, painting it, etc.

I am not a professional in this matter. You would want to speak with those far wiser than I regarding such limits on cleanup, and it will be good to clean and stop any degradation that may be occurring due to conditions. I just want to offer the thought of extreme care with such wonderful pieces of antiquity.

On a slightly different topic why not make certain they are functional and take em out and shoot them! Have some fun with a piece of history. I have a 1916 Mosin that is a wonderfully accurate rifle, and a blast to shoot. Just because they are olde doesn't mean that don't have more to give.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Doug

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Thanks!
    It is my intention to remove the dust on the outside, and crud on the inside only. And wipe them down with a light layer of gun oil.
    The 1902 action is very smooth, and I'm sure it's a good shooter. I'll know more about the 1900 after a clean up.

I also have a 1930s 'Trapper' .22 revolver that is a great shooter.

You're right, it is fun shooting a piece of history like that. I've been eyeballing the Mosin's lately. Neat looking gun, and cheap to own.

Thanks for the tips!

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    1 is cleaned up real nice. Take down is very simple!
    No go on the shooting though. Neither of these will feed a .22 long (barrel says .22 long). The tip of the bullet doesn't make it out of the mag tube before the elevator starts coming up. It looks as though a slightly shorter bullet would feed.

To mjpell,

On a slightly different topic why not make certain they are functional and take em out and shoot them! Have some fun with a piece of history. I have a 1916 Mosin that is a wonderfully accurate rifle, and a blast to shoot. Just because they are olde doesn't mean that don't have more to give.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Doug

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    FWIW, I have an old (1920's) Remington 12c that was my grandfathers that I like to take out and shoot from time to time. I noticed on mine that it is stamped onto the barrel that it will shoot short, long, or long rifle. I'm wondering if you might just need a change of ammo to be able to shoot yours. :)

x2 on take it out and shoot it! No matter how old it is to me, if it don't shoot, it's a paperweight! :)

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Winchester 1890, deluxe, half nickel model that is chambered for .22 short only. I have a Remington model 12, and a Savage model 25 that are both chambered for short, long, and long rifle. On the last two I shoot standard velocity long rifle. They are a whole lot of fun to shoot.

Dave

Top Bottom