• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know much about HP's, but AllenM had a Charles Daly with some custom internals for $500 in the Classifieds. I don't know if that qualifies as an "actual Browning".

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Saw one at the Christies Auction a few weeks back, it went for $525, before the 10% buyers premium and 7% sales tax. There's usually a few at the 1500, usually somewhere between $650 and $800. I paid $380 for a Charles Daly back in Jan, and of course saw one the next day for $365. Somebody had an FM for $350 then too, and at the last show saw a Arcus with a laser sight used for under $300 IIRC. Just listed those for a price reference.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd like an actual Browning HP, too....

But they're getting more and more difficult to find.

If, however, you can't find one and decide that you want a clone, the best bang for the buck is going to be Arcus, FEG, FM, Charles Daly, and FN....in that order.

-J-

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Okay correct me if I am wrong. But isn't FN of Belgium the original maker of the Hi Power circa 1935, and the one's with the Browning name are FN's that are imported by Browning then assembled in Portugal? So if he want's the original wouldn't that mean he goes for the FN?

From my experience I would stay away from FEG. I had one that rattled, wouldn't even chamber a hollowpoint, and the finish was crap. The next HP I am getting will be a FN MK2 or MK3.

On a different note. Awhile back I saw a brand new FN hi power for around 900 or so at Ludco gun shop, and a used FN hi power in 40 S&W, for 600. These were both blued models with wood grips and had the ambi thumb safeties. At the 1500 I saw plenty of WW2 era Canadian built Inglis Hi Powers. Some with the cut out for the shoulder stocks, some not. Some with tanget sights, some with iron sights, and I even saw one that had the tanget sights, stock cut out in the grip, and had the shoulder stock on it for around I think it was $1500? But keep in mind, these older HP's have internal extractors similar to the 1911, and I have heard with these along with the earlier FN's that have internal extractors, if you chamber a round by dropping the slide with a fresh mag you can damage the extractor. But that is just from what I have heard, and I have never seen it first hand. Good luck with your search.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Rajo's in Evansville has two I think, maybe three. One or two arre around $825 and one nicer model, adj. sights, etc. is around $875 or so.

FYI I recently sold a MkIII (made in Belgium, assembled in Portigal) .40 S&W for $650.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Elmore's in Greenwood had a new one that was gorgeous, old style, high polish bluing.I didn't realize that you can still order a new one from Browning. This was a couple of weeks ago so it's gone by now but he can probably order one if you dont mind waiting. I found out that Russ is a big High Power fan. He claims to have quite a collection.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a Browning, FM and Charles Daly. I would rate the daly much nicer than FM don't know about any others.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    PSS has one in Plainfield but I can't remember the price Bob put on it. The pawn shop on 10th and Kessler on the Westside had one for 750 (I think). I'm pretty sure both were actual "Brownings".

snake-doctor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Cumberland
    Thanks for all the info. Charles Dalys are not actual Brownings, they're copies. I don't want to purchase a copy of any kind.
    As for FN, I know they made them, but if I'm going to get a Hi Power, I want it to actually say Browning on it.
    That's just me. I'll probably talk to Bob at Plainfield. And, I'll also go to Elmores, to drool on their 1911s if nothing else. I didn't know you could order a new one either.

Thanks again!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There is a MkIII at BassMasters in Seymour, IN. It is a consignment gun. Sorry can't remember the price.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    How's that FM treating you?

I miss it. LOL

-J-

I bought it back from my friend because I picked up a FM detective slide which is pretty cool.
    It runs real good. Also I dove tailed and upgraded the factory sights on the original slide.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I carried one of the old Brownings, 1960s vintage, for years until the sight got too hard to see clearly. They are pretty small compared to some like the Berettas.:)

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    i have one from WWII with the iron eagle and swastika. It shoots and feels amazing. I know I have seen them at the 1500 (almost here!!) so if you want one and cant find one right now i bet you will see them there.

Top Bottom