• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Well that is not entirely correct. The charts are physical. There are other people who will have the stuff they want to fax in electronic form on their computers already.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They are physical at this point.

If they're physical, then they still have to be scanned in order to get them into your proposed e-mail-to-fax solution, so unless you're putting a scanner at every desktop, then the premise that "walking to the fax machine wastes money" is a red herring. Why can't you just fax them directly from your Konica (or some other fax machine)?

Why don't you tell me how you do things now and then tell me the problem you're really trying to solve and I can help you come up with a solution. Go through the entire process step-by-step.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Ok, let's exclude the charts for now as we both know they would have to scan them anyways.

I guess essential your saying that I can have them "print to fax" their documents "on" their pcs through the bizhub? I guess I need to research that is it appears to be the most viable option.

Their main concern was that the people in the call center are always busy and it would be easier if they could fax documents from their pcs instead of walking to the copiers to fax them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, let's exclude the charts for now as we both know they would have to scan them anyways.

I guess essential your saying that I can have them "print to fax" their documents "on" their pcs through the bizhub? I guess I need to research that is it appears to be the most viable option.

Their main concern was that the people in the call center are always busy and it would be easier if they could fax documents from their pcs instead of walking to the copiers to fax them.

Ok. That's a LOT easier. You don't need a fax server. You don't even slightly need a fax server. It sounds like they're currently printing the records and then walking them from the printer to the fax machine, which is a stupid waste of time.

A fax MACHINE with network capability will work perfectly fine. Your Konica already has everything you need, although you may have purchased it without the fax board. That's the first thing you should check.

Second, make sure it's network-connected. Do you use it as a printer as well as a copier? If so, then you're good to go. If not, you can get a network board for it as well.

Last, to use it as a fax for your electronic records, you just "print" the record the same way you'd print, say, a Word document or a spreadsheet, but you use the Fax driver in your printer list (on the computer) instead of the Print driver. When the "Print Properties" window pops up, it'll look a little bit different because it'll have spaces to enter a phone number, cover sheet, etc. Full instructions will be with the software and documentation on your Konica. There's no e-mail involved.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    If you have a Bizhub, you might want to check out the CD that came with it. IIRC, The PageScope application might have a desktop print-to-fax for the copier fax function (been awhile since I looked at it tho).

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Ok. That's a LOT easier. You don't need a fax server. You don't even slightly need a fax server. It sounds like they're currently printing the records and then walking them from the printer to the fax machine, which is a stupid waste of time.

A fax MACHINE with network capability will work perfectly fine. Your Konica already has everything you need, although you may have purchased it without the fax board. That's the first thing you should check.

Second, make sure it's network-connected. Do you use it as a printer as well as a copier? If so, then you're good to go. If not, you can get a network board for it as well.

Last, to use it as a fax for your electronic records, you just "print" the record the same way you'd print, say, a Word document or a spreadsheet, but you use the Fax driver in your printer list (on the computer) instead of the Print driver. When the "Print Properties" window pops up, it'll look a little bit different because it'll have spaces to enter a phone number, cover sheet, etc. Full instructions will be with the software and documentation on your Konica. There's no e-mail involved.

Ok, so with the Bizhub will I need to install a Fax driver on the print server, as if it is a printer? Then the people will select it from their printers list in order to fax their document?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, so with the Bizhub will I need to install a Fax driver on the print server, as if it is a printer? Then the people will select it from their printers list in order to fax their document?

Correct. Again, you should consult the Konica documentation for complete instructions as I can only give you generalities. As Sharkey mentioned, Konica has a PageScope application that may need to be installed on each PC that wants to fax, although I don't believe that's necessary.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have been searching their documentation but it is very vague. From what I am gathering I will need to get the Konica Minolta Open Test FaxPress in order to get the copier to fax from users desktops.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have been searching their documentation but it is very vague. From what I am gathering I will need to get the Konica Minolta Open Test FaxPress in order to get the copier to fax from users desktops.

I just talked to my Konica guy to verify and he says that all you need is the Fax driver installed on the desktop or the server (like a print driver). Here's a link to the driver page:

Support & Drivers Search Results | Product: bizhub C451

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It occurs to me that I should remind you that the Konica will still need a phone line connected to it. It doesn't work by magic.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It may not work for the specifics of your particular circumstances, but there are a few companies out there who offer what you want in a fax server service without you having to pony up for the hardware.

I use one for my business. I work out of the home and didn't want the cost of an additional separate line for my fax, yet didn't want my home phone being listed as a fax # either. Never mind the hassle of making sure the answering machine, DSL, fax/copier/etc were all connected in the proper order (or worse, having to rush home to connect the fax to the phone line).

I have my own "virtual" fax number. Incoming faxes are sent to the email I specify. Outgoing faxes are uploaded as attachments to the fax server via the company's website. Lots of options available. I don't use it that often because most people simply use email these days. And if I have a hard copy, I still have to scan it in so I can upload it. But since I usually end up emailing it to someone else as well, it's not like an extra step.

Mine is an individual account, but I'm pretty sure they have corporate options as well. PM me if you want more info.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    It may not work for the specifics of your particular circumstances, but there are a few companies out there who offer what you want in a fax server service without you having to pony up for the hardware.

I use one for my business. I work out of the home and didn't want the cost of an additional separate line for my fax, yet didn't want my home phone being listed as a fax # either. Never mind the hassle of making sure the answering machine, DSL, fax/copier/etc were all connected in the proper order (or worse, having to rush home to connect the fax to the phone line).

I have my own "virtual" fax number. Incoming faxes are sent to the email I specify. Outgoing faxes are uploaded as attachments to the fax server via the company's website. Lots of options available. I don't use it that often because most people simply use email these days. And if I have a hard copy, I still have to scan it in so I can upload it. But since I usually end up emailing it to someone else as well, it's not like an extra step.

Mine is an individual account, but I'm pretty sure they have corporate options as well. PM me if you want more info.

The believe that would be a less secure option so it is out of the picture.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I just talked to my Konica guy to verify and he says that all you need is the Fax driver installed on the desktop or the server (like a print driver). Here's a link to the driver page:

Support & Drivers Search Results | Product: bizhub C451

Thanks, I actually found this page shortly before. When ever I try to install it I get an error stating: Setup cannot copy the file KOAZJS_B.DL_. Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert 'KONICA MINOLTA bizhub C650 Series Fax Driver Disk' in the drive you specify. " It is driving me nuts. :xmad:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You may need to have the printer driver installed first. Also, make sure that you're downloading the right driver for your operating system.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I finally got it to work, had to do software as you couldn't install teh driver alone. Regardless I got the print to fax to work. Talked to my boss and he still wants me to 'explore' the possibility of using a stand alone option that isn't FOIP. He wants a hardware option that will also allow us to reduce the amount of fax machines yet still allow users to email to fax through it. He hopes that it can separate faxes incoming into different folders based on the users it goes to. Looks like this is going to take more research.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, that's a fax server. I refer you back to my first recommendation which was to RUN FAR AWAY!

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah, that's a fax server. I refer you back to my first recommendation which was to RUN FAR AWAY!

Hahaha, I agree. I think it is rather weird how vague a google search for 'fax servers' really is. I guess we are back to full circle. He said that 'we might fall back to simply using print to fax but would like to see what options a fax server will provide.'

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Against my better judgement, I'm going to point you to what used to be called Faxpress. Start here:

OpenText (formerly Captaris) Fax Solutions RightFax Fax Server and Fax Appliances

Although, I'm warning you again: it's not for the faint of heart in spite of how easy their website makes it look.

That was one of the few I was actually looking at. And you are right, they do make it look extremely easy. All of us IT/IS people should know how that is since Microsoft always has a habit of trying to making everything look extremely easy as well. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom