Any FAL shooters in Northeastern Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Indiana is silent on HOW you may carry. Its an old joke here that you can carry any way you want in Indiana... even duct taped to your forehead.
    LOL! I'm liking Indiana more and more.
    Just look at the top of your "pink permission slip" Does it say CCW or LTCH?
    Ahhhh... Mine states:
    STATE OF INDIANA
    LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN

I see your (and indykid's) point now. For me, CCW is a generic term meaning approval by the state to carry a concealed firearm.

Yes, we are very particular here about semantics.
    GREAT. Being specific in our definitions is one way to defend and maintain our liberties. Way to go, Indiana. Thanks for the insight, Cameramonkey.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    DSA does offer a scope mount top cover.
    Thank you, Robert. I should have been more specific. I do own picatinny top covers, though not by DSA (I wish).

My quest is to find a 1-4 scope that'll work in terms of 1) proper mount height, and 2) eye-relief that lets me maintain proper cheek weld.

I'll start a new thread on that topic when I get time.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I have an ARMS dust cover mount on my 50.41 that works well.
    So you have the actual heavy barrel and bipod? Neat! The ARMS mount has an excellent reputation, so it makes sense you'd put that one on your unique and particularly heavy-duty FAL.

As noted in my reply to Robert above, I do have (cheap) top covers, and if DSA ever puts theirs on sale again, I'll replace with those.

What are you using for a scope? Probably something longer-range than the 1-4x24 variable scope I want to use...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I got my FAL, there were a couple guys around that were big into FALs but unfortunately I don't see them around real often any more. I have one of the older DSAs built on the LMT receiver.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    When I got my FAL, there were a couple guys around that were big into FALs but unfortunately I don't see them around real often any more. I have one of the older DSAs built on the LMT receiver.
    Thanks for weighing in, Expat. Yeah, the ease of ownership of the "Modern Sporting Rifle" (AR) and lack of availability of foreign military surplus parts has made the FAL rifle somewhat rare, or perhaps unique.

The FAL is "heavy and long" by current standards, and definitely more difficult/expensive to modify than an AR15, but nothing says "serious" (to me) the way a hard-core FAL does. And no matter what others say, I prefer the 7.62x51 round over 5.56x45 for any sort of serious encounter. Heck, your FAL will take down a cinderblock wall! :D

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have an 18' IMBEL with integral bipod. I used to have 4 or 5 FALs, but sold them all off except the IMBEL. I still have all the 20 and 30 round mags, though, to feed the RFBs. I prefer the RFB in most cases - easier to scope, compact, trigger isn't any worse, rifle isn't any heavier, and I can get one in 24" Hunter that is shorter than any FAL.

Not likely to let the IMBEL go, though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sarco has new but dinged up Stanag dust covers.
    Somebody makes a pic rail that goes on em. Still gets optic too high for the reg stock.

Used to be a place that glued pic rail to a reg dust cover. Short rail w a reflex on it would be doable.

You can go w the old Trilux scope/ dust cover mount. If you like that arrangement.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The FALFiles used to be a great place for FAL info but I don't know if it really recovered after it got hacked.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I have an 18' IMBEL with integral bipod. I used to have 4 or 5 FALs, but sold them all off except the IMBEL.
    Thank you, spencer rifle for these insights. How did you decide which to sell and which to keep?
    I still have all the 20 and 30 round mags, though, to feed the RFBs. I prefer the RFB in most cases - easier to scope, compact, trigger isn't any worse, rifle isn't any heavier, and I can get one in 24" Hunter that is shorter than any FAL.
    You're talking about the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup, right? Man, I looked and looked and LOOKED at those, but never took the leap. I thought one of each: 18" and 24". At the time, the RFB was a new design experiencing a few hiccups, so I put the idea on the back burner. Then Life caught up with me and I forgot the whole thing. :D Now it looks like they're $1700 and unavailable.

Sounds like you have the 18" model, and might be considering the 24" Hunter. If so, can you report on reliability, general shooting experience and/or accuracy?

Also, can you still hear anything with your right ear? :D

Not likely to let the IMBEL go, though.
    Yeah. 18" Imbel is a good configuration.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Sarco has new but dinged up Stanag dust covers.
    Somebody makes a pic rail that goes on em. Still gets optic too high for the reg stock.
    I have a Stanag mount in new/unused condition that I'll never use. If anybody's interested, let me know.
    Used to be a place that glued pic rail to a reg dust cover. Short rail w a reflex on it would be doable. You can go w the old Trilux scope/ dust cover mount. If you like that arrangement.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have cheap-but-useable TAPCO topcovers (made by Leapers, I think) that seem to mount solidly. I'd prefer DSA, and would replace with DSA if the price drops well below the current $100.

As for optics, current technology is so cheap and capable. That's my path forward, as I'm not a collector of military arms.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Id like a little thinner front sight post, even when using a DSA A2 rear.
    Agreed. At 100 yards the standard metric front sight post covers 8 or 10 inches of the target. That's a big factor in my wanting to go to a 1-4x24 LPV scope.

Per your remarks I looked up the DSA A2 (as in AR15 A2) sight for FAL. Neat. I'll look into it further when I get time. Thanks/

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Thank you, spencer rifle for these insights. How did you decide which to sell and which to keep?

You're talking about the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup, right? Man, I looked and looked and LOOKED at those, but never took the leap. I thought one of each: 18" and 24". At the time, the RFB was a new design experiencing a few hiccups, so I put the idea on the back burner. Then Life caught up with me and I forgot the whole thing. :D Now it looks like they're $1700 and unavailable.

Sounds like you have the 18" model, and might be considering the 24" Hunter. If so, can you report on reliability, general shooting experience and/or accuracy?

Also, can you still hear anything with your right ear? :D

Yeah. 18" Imbel is a good configuration.
    I actually have 2 of each, 18" and 24," and really enjoy shooting them (with good ear protection). All have a front handgrip with extendable bipod, and all have scopes. Having a lefty in the family, I can configure them for the southpaw in less than a minute. Accuracy is about what you would expect from a bullpup battle rifle - not my .308 hunting rifle that can put 4 rounds under a quarter at 100 yards, but not much worse than that either. Heavy enough that they don't kick much. Can't recall having a malf. Like most bullpups, chamber checking is a problem.

The sold FALs were mostly Frankenrifles, in both metric and inch setups, with bipods, and one with a bayonet. I really liked the LRBHO, but they were just too long and heavy for my aging shoulders. RFBs took their places, since I have limited space.

Was really into CETMEs for a while, and still have a few, but only ones with cast stainless receivers.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    The FALFiles used to be a great place for FAL info but I don't know if it really recovered after it got hacked.
    I didn't know they got hacked... I was very active there for several years in the first "new millennium decade" and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Went back again after several years and the general tone had gone very Dark. The good-natured original crew was no longer there, or no longer at the forefront, and several new members I encountered were...well...dogmeat. Nasty, angry jerks.

I never went back until now. The site feels more modern, and I haven't seen any of the old crew yet. Haven't had time to look, really.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I actually have 2 of each, 18" and 24," and really enjoy shooting them (with good ear protection).
    Sounds like an effective arsenal, and a serious investment. It makes sense, too...to increase the effectiveness of each weapon while decreasing the number of weapons.
    I can configure them for the southpaw in less than a minute.
    That's a real advantage.
    Accuracy is about what you would expect from a bullpup battle rifle.
    I see ballistic advantage in the 24" Hunter, but if I could have only one rifle for the rest of my life, an 18" bullpup in .308 seems like IT. Compact, easy to carry, shoot and store. Just one round capable of taking large game, predators, and maybe even downloadable for small game if need be. And of course, a proven man stopper.
    ...don't kick much. Can't recall having a malf. Like most bullpups, chamber checking is a problem.
    Good to know about light recoil and lack of operational problems. Maintenance and field stoppages are a big deal, though. I appreciate being able to slide the FAL sheetmetal top cover off and attend to the bore, bolt-and-carrier and trigger group - all in plain sight. When a picatinny top cover scope mount is attached, I feel like I can't anything...

So thanks for mentioning that aspect.
    The sold FALs were mostly Frankenrifles, in both metric and inch setups, with bipods, and one with a bayonet. I really liked the LRBHO, but they were just too long and heavy for my aging shoulders. RFBs took their places, since I have limited space.
    I think we're living parallel lives, but what the heck is an LRBHO?!! :D
    Was really into CETMEs for a while, and still have a few, but only ones with cast stainless receivers.
    No personal experience with CETME. I know they're similar to H&K 91 and G3, and I assume stainless receivers make for good rifles. Were you hooked on The SHOTGUN NEWS? :D I was.

At this point, I think it's best to have only a few weapons that are broadly useful and chambered in as few deadly calibers as possible. Are we on the same page?

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

I think we're living parallel lives, but what the heck is an LRBHO?!! :D

No personal experience with CETME. I know they're similar to H&K 91 and G3, and I assume stainless receivers makes for a good rifle. Were you hooked on The SHOTGUN NEWS? :D I was.

At this point, I think it's best to have only a few weapons that are broadly useful and are chambered in as few deadly calibers as possible. Are we on the same page?
    Last Round Bolt Hold Open - bolt stays open after the last round is fired. The AKs don't have that, but Yugo mags do, though the bolt will close when the mag is removed.

Never read Shotgun News.

Current calibers:
    7.62x39
    7.62x51
    7.62x54 (just the one Mosin)
    9 mm
    .22LR
    12 gauge
    and that is all. Reload all but the .22 and 7.62x54.

I also have an X95 or two, and some RDBs. Sold the AUG. Part of my bullpup obsession...

Top Bottom