Any FAL shooters in Northeastern Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Last Round Bolt Hold Open - bolt stays open after the last round is fired. The AKs don't have that, but Yugo mags do, though the bolt will close when the mag is removed.
    Ah, okay. I know the concept from AK mags, but didn't make the connection relative to the FAL since they hold open.

Judging by the rest of your list, you're far more "well rounded" than I am. I used to own every one of the listed calibers, except for .223. Now I'm down to 9mm, 7.62x51 and 12ga. It just feels more manageable.

Augs and X95 Tavors. Yeah, baby! :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .223 is dandy on chucks and yotes w varmint bullets and factory ammo of that type used to be common.

Less powder to burn, bullets proly cheaper too.....for the guys running FA i bet theres considerable cost savings.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I had a nice FAL I bought through Shotgun News and Enterprise Arms. Sold it for $600.90 and a Craftsman riding mower. Don't have the money or the mower now.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a 922 compliant semi-auto STG-58 I built from an excellent condition all matching parts kit with an Imbel forged receiver several years ago.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I had a nice FAL I bought through Shotgun News and Enterprise Arms. Sold it for $600.90 and a Craftsman riding mower. Don't have the money or the mower now.
    Sounds familiar. Too familiar. But you're not missing much because there's no ammunition to shoot.

On the other hand, the blasted grass NEVER quits (except in the winter). When my mower is down the grass grows twice as fast! =O

For several years, Shotgun News was my "one and only newspaper."

Did you haggle over that last 90¢...? :D

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I have a 922 compliant semi-auto STG-58 I built from an excellent condition all matching parts kit with an Imbel forged receiver several years ago.
    :yesway: NICE!

I built STG-58 kits and one German G1. I'm partial to the Austrian STGs, and G1 is almost identical, but for the trigger guard and muzzle/muzzle brake. I managed to get DSA Type1 receivers, but would have gladly chosen Imbel if I couldn't get DSA.

So do you still shoot your Imbel STG-58?

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :yesway: NICE!

I built STG-58 kits and one German G1. I'm partial to the Austrian STGs, and G1 is almost identical, but for the trigger guard and muzzle/muzzle brake. I managed to get DSA Type1 receivers, but would have gladly chosen Imbel if I couldn't get DSA.

So do you still shoot your Imbel STG-58?
    Cool!
    I don't shoot it much, as I like shooting the M1A and M1 Garand better because they have better sights and triggers.
    But the STG-58 is an interesting rifle, and it was fun plus a bit more challenging to build compared to an AR15 type rifle.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds familiar. Too familiar. But you're not missing much because there's no ammunition to shoot.

On the other hand, the blasted grass NEVER quits (except in the winter). When my mower is down the grass grows twice as fast! =O

For several years, Shotgun News was my "one and only newspaper."

Did you haggle over that last 90¢...? :D
    Oops. Fat thumb hit the 9. Lol

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Found a pic of the last FAL I shot. Was a FrankenFAL.
    Good enough I reckon, it ran flawless and shot OK.

View attachment 148712
    Datza nice clean metric FAL. The Type III receiver looks great, and the barrel looks brand new. And so do the handguards. So is that a whole new DSA front end?

Rear sight looks paratroopish. Nice. Buttstock says STG but the lever for releasing top and bottom receivers is different from my STG kits. Mine had the lever that moves rearward, toward the butt plate.

Those gray slings came with my STG kits...and congratulations on having an aftermarket selector switch with a notch that stops its rotation at 'FIRE.' My FALS, not quite so refined...

And I don't want to worry you, but it looks like somebody PAINTED OVER YER SERIAL NUMBER! :D Yeah, I zoomed in to enjoy the details.

Thanks for the picture.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC all new upper, DSA w an Imbel bbl.
    Was a Franken gun.

I should order a DSA18" upper.

My Austrian lower has a vertical takedown lever... LOL.

I have no pics of the full Argy I shot a while back. Hell i dont even remember what kind of flashider it had.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never shot an Israeli reg or HB.
    My dad was the FAL nut. Not me.
    I just shot em when he and his buds said burn it up LOL

Have very limited knowledge of em.
    Have put a couple hundred rounds through a few. Not much experience but developed a preference for the fixed stock.

Not a fan of the carry handles.....guess they make a washer to fill that slot if you get a receiver so cut.

If i build one it wont have a carry handle.

I have brand new orig stg handguards in case i want to fry eggs on it. Somebody more in the know said they were primo stuff and worth a decent penny. Have no idea why. Were wrapped and stored for decades.

Still cost a K or so to end up w a complete rig.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    IIRC all new upper, DSA w an Imbel bbl.
    Was a Franken gun.
    That's pretty 'sporty' for a FrankenFAL. UGO!
    I should order a DSA18" upper.
    If I could swing that, I'd order the whole rifle.
    My Austrian lower has a vertical takedown lever... LOL.
    I probably wasn't clear. Mine were the vertical levers that rotate back, toward the buttplate. Like you describe.
    I have no pics of the full Argy I shot a while back. Hell i dont even remember what kind of flashider it had.
    I like the DSA short Stoll. They're just the front portion of the original long, heavy 'resonator' Stoll flashhider.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    The 16 looks good on a para IMHO but i like a full stock rig and 18" looks best to me ( would not buy for a specific historical type ).
    Ditto. I'm interested in self preservation, not historical accuracy.

The muzzle threads on a couple of my STG kits had been demilled. 20-1/2" long and nicely crowned. I shortened them to 19" because at the time I thought 18" might be "ballistically unfavorable." Turns out the difference between 18" and 19" is of no concern. No worries. They look right, shoot well, and that extra inch is unnoticeable.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Not much experience but developed a preference for the fixed stock.
    My own with fixed STG stocks are the only FALs I've shot. They fit me like a glove, but might not if I got "all dressed up" in Kevlar or the like. Heh.
    Not a fan of the carry handles.....guess they make a washer to fill that slot if you get a receiver so cut.

If i build one it wont have a carry handle.
    I have carry handles, but never use them. 1) A sling makes them pretty much unnecessary, and 2) they can loosen up with use. I want them tight and not flopping around. Heck I don't even notice the handle.

There's a story of a British gunnery sergeant making fun of his recruits for using the L1A1 handles, "It's nawt a buh-luddy handbag, ladies!" :D
    I have brand new orig stg handguards in case i want to fry eggs on it. Somebody more in the know said they were primo stuff and worth a decent penny. Have no idea why. Were wrapped and stored for decades.
    I might have a pair around somewhere. DSA used to sell them cheap. Hard to believe they're valuable now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom