• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Genie screw drive, carriage is stripped and started slipping tonight. Won't lift the door.
    Probably 10 years old. I can replace the carriage, but it's not going to solve the problem of the springs being too light (door is a bit heavy to lift imo) and likely the cause of why it stripped. I grease the screw each year, but apparently have failed to check the weight/springs.

I won't go near those torsion springs... so, anyone out there do this for a living that'd be interested in a job adjusting mine?
    I can trade for stock ar forearms or grips! :)

Just kidding... ;)

Located in NW Hendricks County. If not, I'll hit the yellow pages.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you do hire a professional I believe you might expect some extra costs for the trip lazer at the bottom. Not sure if you've gotten that yet or not, but it may turn a simple relatively cheap fix into a more expensive one if you haven't.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you do hire a professional I believe you might expect some extra costs for the trip lazer at the bottom. Not sure if you've gotten that yet or not, but it may turn a simple relatively cheap fix into a more expensive one if you haven't.

?? Not following. I have one... it's always worked.
    Right now the weight of the door is too heavy to lift the door, and you can hear the grinding of the carriage on the screw.

If the door is say 2/3rds the way up. and I engage the carriage, it will pull it the rest of the way open. If I hit close, it will close the door slowly until about the last two feet where it starts to chatter and skip, and the door then falls quicker to the ground. I think once the carriage is replaced, and the spring tension strengthened so it's not pulling as much weight, then the laser would continue to work as it should.
    It will probably work once the carriage is replaced, but I may only get a few short years out of it when it strips again from lifting so much weight. It should take little effort to raise the door by hand (and it did when we first had the springs installed). I gather they wore out or something? Neither spring is broken.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got the same issue on my single bay door now. I had Garage Doors of Indy out last year to replace a broken spring on my double bay. I don't recall what it cost but it was reasonable. I don't have the laser safety devices on mine and there was no mention of them during the spring replacement.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The laser safety I have is a small infrared emitter and receiver on either side of the doorway, about 6" off the ground. If anything breaks that beam while the door is closing, the door will automatically raise. The dogs cause this often.

Is there a different laser safety I am not aware of? In the off chance that some new laser safety has come onto the market?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The laser safety I have is a small infrared emitter and receiver on either side of the doorway, about 6" off the ground. If anything breaks that beam while the door is closing, the door will automatically raise. The dogs cause this often.

Is there a different laser safety I am not aware of? In the off chance that some new laser safety has come onto the market?

Not that I know of. I recently called a garage door repair man to come over to my parents' house to fix a few things. They were on vacation and didn't have the safety trip and it was an extra cost that I ended up footing the bill for because it had been that long since an actual repairman had worked on it.

Just didn't want you to get blind sided by an extra cost. Carry on.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've done torsion springs before, but, last time labor was only around $35 so it was a no brainer. Do you have a single spring or double? Double would handle weight better. Garage doors are a lot heavier than you would think.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Robby, we have a member who owns a garage door company. I will see if I can find his name. After getting a company to fix mine, be chimed in, but a little too late for me to use him.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Double springs (one on either side. nd to be clear, they are torsion horizontal springs mounted on the garage header, not the simple elongated springs that run parrallell with the track). They were originally installed by garage doors of indianapolis if I recall. the door was already in, and I installed the opener. But the original home owners had some DIY single spring installed that crapped out a year after living here. So then I had pro springs installed.

As long as whomever does it is bonded and insured, I am cool with it. those springs are nasty. I figured it'd be $100 or so for a service call to do it (But it's been a while. doctor bill for hand surgery is more expensive)

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Too bad I am so far away. I would give you a hand. They are not as bad as people make them out to be. Common sense like a firearm. BTW if the door is too heavy to lift that is a problem. The door without the opener should be pretty much buoyant for most of its travel. As long as the spring is the correct one, you should just have to tighten the spring.

You posted right before me... If a company installed them and the door is still that heavy, either they did not adjust them correctly or maybe a spring failed.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pull the emergency release. Can you easily lift the door with little to no effort? If not, springs need adjusted. If so, then they aren't the reason your carriage messed up.

ETA: by carriage, i assume you mean garage door opener?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Pull the emergency release. Can you easily lift the door with little to no effort? If not, springs need adjusted. If so, then they aren't the reason your carriage messed up.

ETA: by carriage, i assume you mean garage door opener?

Yeah, the lever is pulled so we can raise and lower the door until the new carriage arrives. My wife can lift the door, but it takes some effort. I could do it with one hand, but would take a lot of effort to do... I should be able to lift with with a few fingers from each hand I think.

This is where the door will lower (when the carriage is engaged) but then at the last two feet or so, you hear it chatter and grind and the door just falls.
    If the door is operated to lift, it just chatters and grinds. the screw seems in good shape. No surprise there, someone was using their head when they made the screw harder than the teeth on the carriage.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have worked on commercial and residential garage doors. They can and will hurt you if you don't know what you are doing. My ex-husband in law (thats what I call my wife's ex-husband) had a broken spring and tried to let the double wooden door down by pulling the cord and letting it down by hand. The door started to race to the floor and he tried to hold it. He tore a muscle in his arm and had to have surgery to repair it costing him a few thousand $$$$$.

The springs are considered to replace one person trying to open the door with minimal effort. If the door is hard to raise from a closed position they are adjusted too lose. If the door tries to raise on it own when closed all the way they are too tight.

You need to get the springs adjusted and replace the carriage and you should be good to go for another ten years.

If I was closer I would help you do it for FREEEEEEE.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have worked on commercial and residential garage doors. They can and will hurt you if you don't know what you are doing. My ex-husband in law (thats what I call my wife's ex-husband) had a broken spring and tried to let the double wooden door down by pulling the cord and letting it down by hand. The door started to race to the floor and he tried to hold it. He tore a muscle in his arm and had to have surgery to repair it costing his a few thousand $$$$$.

The springs are considered to replace one person trying to open the door with minimal effort. If the door is hard to raise from a closed position they are adjusted too lose. If the door tries to raise on it own when closed all the way they are too tight.

You need to get the springs adjusted and replace the carriage and you should be good to go for another ten years.

If I was closer I would help you do it for FREEEEEEE.

And risk getting bed bugs?! I don't think so! ;)
    Seriously thanks for the offer.... I know my limitations. I am not attempting to fix my springs myself, or necessarily cheaply. Just looking to give the work to an INGOer before I hit yellowbook.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    And risk getting bed bugs?! I don't think so! ;)
    Seriously thanks for the offer.... I know my limitations. I am not attempting to fix my springs myself, or necessarily cheaply. Just looking to give the work to an INGOer before I hit yellowbook.

:laugh:

I'm still scratching and feeling like I feel a bug on me. I checked the different hotel out throughly tonight.

Top Bottom