• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there that does any hiking/backpacking down here in the southern portion of the state ? I do a lot of over night backpacking on the Knobstone trail, and I'm getting ready for another short trip. Anybody interested in packing along ? I have a good friend I usually go with, but our work scheduals now conflict, and it makes it hard for us to have the same days off, so it's just been my pup, and I here recently. :ingo:

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would love to tag along but I am just getting into hiking and don't have the necessary equipment for an overnighter yet. Especially a cold weather one. It's a good drive down there for me too but I would still be up for it if I had the right gear. When you planning on going next?

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I'm not really sure exactly when, but I would be heading out Sunday morning, camp that night then home on Monday. The weather has been so crazy this winter, if the weather looked good with warmer temps at night I would go anytime. Last year I went in mid march, and it was pretty dang cold at night (upper 20's), but its already been much warmer then that this year ?!?! What gear are your lacking ?

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm not really setup at all yet. Funds are pretty tight but I need a decent sleeping bag, pad, and a bigger pack. I don't have a tent or hammock but am fine using a tarp shelter for now. I should be getting my pack in the next few weeks but I'm not sure about the rest of it.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there that does any hiking/backpacking down here in the southern portion of the state ? I do a lot of over night backpacking on the Knobstone trail, and I'm getting ready for another short trip. Anybody interested in packing along ? I have a good friend I usually go with, but our work scheduals now conflict, and it makes it hard for us to have the same days off, so it's just been my pup, and I here recently. :ingo:
    Tell me more about which trail you want to hit. I'm from Indy so I try stay in the northern part of the south. (If that makes sense.) I'd like to hit the Tecumseh. Planning on doing it this spring. Wouldn't mind getting an early start on it though.
    Tell me about your hiking style. How many miles per hour? Goal orientated or do you like start and see how far you get in a day? Stop and admire the views? Or do you keep stepping? Heavy packer or lite?
    I tend to hike on the lighter side, but not ultra lite. About 25 lbs pack for 2-3 nights out. 2-3 miles an hour average. Love photography so if I see a good shot I stop and shoot. I generally am goal orientated to hit 10-13 miles a day.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Tell me more about which trail you want to hit. I'm from Indy so I try stay in the northern part of the south. (If that makes sense.) I'd like to hit the Tecumseh. Planning on doing it this spring. Wouldn't mind getting an early start on it though.
    Tell me about your hiking style. How many miles per hour? Goal orientated or do you like start and see how far you get in a day? Stop and admire the views? Or do you keep stepping? Heavy packer or lite?
    I tend to hike on the lighter side, but not ultra lite. About 25 lbs pack for 2-3 nights out. 2-3 miles an hour average. Love photography so if I see a good shot I stop and shoot. I generally am goal orientated to hit 10-13 miles a day.

I have been working my way north up the Knobstone with intentions of a thru hike in the near future. My hiking style is similiar to yours..... I pack as light as I can, and depending on water conditions on the trail I would say at my lightest around 30lbs give or take. If I have to pack in water obviously I'm heavier. I also enjoy the scenery, and always carry a camera with me. Mileage wise were close too, depending on the trail, weather, etc. I'd say 10 miles a day. I have never been on the Tecumseh, but from what I read, and see it looks similar to the Northen end of the Knobstone where it tends to flatten out a bit. I was really hoping to get a winter trip in this year, but with all the rain the trails have been a mess. I'm also slightly limited on time because of my work schedual so an overnight trip is usually all I can squeeze in (10-20 miles seems to work best).

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have been working my way north up the Knobstone with intentions of a thru hike in the near future. My hiking style is similiar to yours..... I pack as light as I can, and depending on water conditions on the trail I would say at my lightest around 30lbs give or take. If I have to pack in water obviously I'm heavier. I also enjoy the scenery, and always carry a camera with me. Mileage wise were close too, depending on the trail, weather, etc. I'd say 10 miles a day. I have never been on the Tecumseh, but from what I read, and see it looks similar to the Northen end of the Knobstone where it tends to flatten out a bit. I was really hoping to get a winter trip in this year, but with all the rain the trails have been a mess. I'm also slightly limited on time because of my work schedual so an overnight trip is usually all I can squeeze in (10-20 miles seems to work best).

Tecumseh is about 42-45 miles long. (I forget exact distance.) Starts just outside Martinsville in Morgan Monroe. Goes down to top of Hoosier National forest outside of Bloomington.
    I did the Knobstone last fall as a thru hike. That is a trail with out mercy. Up down, up down with out end. I logged about 17,000 feet of total elevation change. Yes the Tecumseh should be an easier trail.
    I'm pretty much right there with you on the amount of time I have for a hike right now.
    I'd like to hike a Saturday and Sunday, but I think I saw you wanted to do Sunday and Monday?
    Are you wanting to keep working the Knobstone or would you consider coming for part of the Tecumseh? We could also do some of the loops in the Deam Wilderness just outside of Bloomington. Now that I think about it, Deam wilderness would be real nice. Easy overnighters and because they're loops we don't have to worry about shuttling.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Ive hiked half day trips before but I want to start getting into overnight trips. Im kind of a natural survivalists but I need some advice on what to pack and what else I need to buy. I have the very basics of camping but I would like to hear what you guys pack for the trips youve been talking about.

Thanks in advance

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Ive hiked half day trips before but I want to start getting into overnight trips. Im kind of a natural survivalists but I need some advice on what to pack and what else I need to buy. I have the very basics of camping but I would like to hear what you guys pack for the trips youve been talking about.

Thanks in advance

I tend to pack fairly light, but I wouldn't consider myself to be an ultra lighter.
    I'll run you through briefly what I packed on one of my more recent overnight trips.
    When I went on Tecumseh trail I knew I was only going overnight so I packed my smaller bag. (32liters.) I planned on staying at an AT shelter so I didn't need a tent. To be prepared though for the "just in case" I packed a bivy bag. Because the temperature was supposed to get down into the teens I packed one of my warmer sleeping bags. A REI 15 degree down filled bag.
    I packed a small pop can stove for cooking just one small pot for cooking in. Generally for over nighters I pack freeze dried food, on longer trips I might pack a bit more of variety. I no longer carry drip through coffee maker. I've found that instant coffees have come a long ways and some of them are really pretty good, and so much easier on the trail.
    This was the core of what I took. The rest is really just a few odd and ends. Fire starters, means to purify water (steri pen), first aid kit, head lamp, compass, etc.
    That's it.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Thanks! I think the only thing I'm missing is a steri pen

They are awesome. I have the traditional ceramic filter. Buy pen is so much lighter. And basically works like magic. I did opt for the basic model that takes AAs. It's a bit heavier, but not much, and you get more liters per battery charge. Also, the actual light lasts longer. Being able to swap batteries with my GPS is a nice plus. Don't forget iodine tablets as a back just in case.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Me and a few friends go on weekend trips down there all the time. We are going to do 30miles on the knobstone in may and doing a trip in Hoosier nat in march. YOu are welcome to come along. PM me if you are interested.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Keep in mind that if you're a beginner starting out on the Knobstone you're in for a serious work out. Don't underestimate how much the hills will add up. 200 feet up and down repeated enough times adds up to around 17,000 feet of total elevation change.
    Not trying to discourage anyone just know what you're getting in for.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Me and a few friends go on weekend trips down there all the time. We are going to do 30miles on the knobstone in may and doing a trip in Hoosier nat in march. YOu are welcome to come along. PM me if you are interested.

We are actually going to be doing 12 miles.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I do day hikes, nothing overnight or camping. I plan on getting out more, but I also can't stand the heat, so I pretty much stay indoors during the summer months. I'm gonna look at getting out down south maybe, over the next couple of months, then will likely wait till fall to head back out again. I got a IN State Parks pass last year, and I might have broke even using it. I told myself I would use it, but didn't get out as much as I should have. Hopefully this year will be different. Been looking at a lot of places to go.

Side note: Still appears that REI will be opening their Indy store this June. Can't wait to check it out.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Being a new to hiking (kinda since scouts) where in southern indiana is a good place for overnight hikes??? I live in columbus thought about going over to brown county but I havnt yet. Also I would like to get someone who knows more about hiking and to go on a trip with them to learn some new things.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Being a new to hiking (kinda since scouts) where in southern indiana is a good place for overnight hikes??? I live in columbus thought about going over to brown county but I havnt yet. Also I would like to get someone who knows more about hiking and to go on a trip with them to learn some new things.
    You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with Deam Wilderness. It's just on the south side of Monroe lake over by Bloomington. Lot's of trails. Making various loops. So you never have to worry about getting back to your car. It's free. (primitive though.) The lake makes for nice scenery. There' are old home site ruins to look for. (Nothing too exciting, but still neat to come across.) A fire tower that's stilll open to the public. This area is just a blast and it's not very far from you.
    If you're interested in getting some time just hit me up in a private message.
    Take care.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    Side note: Still appears that REI will be opening their Indy store this June. Can't wait to check it out.

Opening next week! Soft opening March 16th, grand opening (free stuff) over the weekend of 23rd-25th. REI Store

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with Deam Wilderness.

+1 for Deam

I ran across this site a while back while looking for new places. http://www.localhikesbeta.com

My daughter (8) and I are planning on going on her first overnight hike this summer on the Low Gap loop in Morgan-Monroe.

Top Bottom