• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I work for the DNR and we manage the Knobstone trail out of my office. If you have any questions, just ask.

I wanted to let you know that due to the tornado damage, the first 11 miles of the trail are closed, and will be for a long time.
    DNR: Knobstone Trail

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Since this thread was revived..
    Anyone needing a backpacking partner should contact me.
    I finally have all of my gear together and I'm ready to go

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I work for the DNR and we manage the Knobstone trail out of my office. If you have any questions, just ask.

I wanted to let you know that due to the tornado damage, the first 11 miles of the trail are closed, and will be for a long time.
    DNR: Knobstone Trail

I did not know this. Do you have any suggestions on a good start and stop point. We are wanting to hike roughly 12-15miles over 2-3days.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I did not know this. Do you have any suggestions on a good start and stop point. We are wanting to hike roughly 12-15miles over 2-3days.
    It's hard to recommend a section. The good news is that there are lots of trail-heads spaced out about every 5-7 miles. It makes it easy to custom make a trip. I can tell you that the North and South ends are the easiest. The middle third is the most rugged, it has the most hills and up/down sections. For doing an overnight trip, stay out of the northern loop area, it has more people and day users.
    Feel free to call me at work, I'll happily give you as much info as you want.

Dale

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm planning on hitting up the Tecumseh trail this summer. I believe it's a 70mi trail that starts around Morgan-Monroe and ends up at the southern part of Hoosier Natl. Shouldn't take more than 6-7 days to hike.
    But before then, my days off are spent either at the range or wandering around Hoosier Natl towards the fire tower

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If anyone's looking for an "Appalachian-lite" area to hike that's NOT in Indiana...

I suggest the SE Ohio area - Hocking Hills / Athens, OH / Wayne National Forest / Logan, OH area. All kinds of day hiking available + I'm sure there's plenty of longer / primitive hiking / camping in the Wayne National Forest, too.

-J-

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    South of Bloomington

Anyone have a recommended overnight trail south of Bloomington? My "places to backpack" list became irrelevant when I escaped from Kalifornia.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    If anyone's looking for an "Appalachian-lite" area to hike that's NOT in Indiana...

I suggest the SE Ohio area - Hocking Hills / Athens, OH / Wayne National Forest / Logan, OH area. All kinds of day hiking available + I'm sure there's plenty of longer / primitive hiking / camping in the Wayne National Forest, too.

-J-
    I absolutely agree. :yesway: Used to live in Coal Grove/Ironton, Ohio. Spent some great time down there and at Lake Vesuvius. Good times but have to watch out for the copperheads and dope cookers nowadays from what I hear.

Top Bottom