• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Novak (or other mods) have the linkage not associated with the body (factory setup has pivot shaft run from transmission bracket to body bracket).
    Wear/flex can have it pop out- usually wobbles out the plastic bushing on the transmission side.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The factory mechanical linkage likes to bind, especially after you lift your jeep. It can get so bad that it will "pop" out of four wheel drive.
    Even on a stock jeep, you get any muck around that linkage, it can cause problems.

The novak cable shifter solves all those problems. Makes shifting much smoother. It makes a BIG a difference. Also, if you ever plan on doing a tummy tuck, a cable shifter is necessary.

And, I researched the crap out of cable shifters. Novak is THE best.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have had my '79 CJ7 for a few years but I just traded a cheap trailer I had for a hard top with steel doors. Now I have a project for the winter. Need to fit it and get it painted. I didn't really need it but I couldn't pass up the deal. Here is a pic with it setting on my jeep.
    0916141937_zpsfqxrbiqn.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My father recently traded his 2006 yellow TJ with only 30,000 miles for a 2006 F250. It's NICE.

After driving it, I realized how much I miss driving a truck....

Eh, Jeeps are overrated and over priced.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My father recently traded his 2006 yellow TJ with only 30,000 miles for a 2006 F250. It's NICE.

After driving it, I realized how much I miss driving a truck....

Eh, Jeeps are overrated and over priced.

Each to his own. I traded a truck for my Jeep and don't miss the truck, especially when the doors are off and top is down.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Sounds like they weren't thinking much when they designed the linkage. Like 75% of jeeps get lifted and muddy, did they not consider that?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Each to his own. I traded a truck for my Jeep and don't miss the truck, especially when the doors are off and top is down.

Oh I agree, I'm not trading mine for a truck. MAYBE for a 2013 JKU rubicon though....

Sounds like they weren't thinking much when they designed the linkage. Like 75% of jeeps get lifted and muddy, did they not consider that?

It's just a **** poor design. It's just as stupid as using the Dana 35 rear axle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I beat the sheite out of my 2 lifted XJ's...........never a problem.
    My ZJ with less lift popped out twice, mild offroad.
    Broken motor mounts might have contributed ;)

But I broke 2 sets on one XJ, one on the other. Still no shift linkage issues.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't read this whole thread but... Has there ever been an INGO jeep event organized? Say to an off road park like Badlands or Haspin Acres? I am getting my jeep running after sitting for 5 years.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm pretty late to the party here, as this post is pretty darned old. However, assuming you see this, what front axle are running here? Is that a 44? And what did you pull it out of? Shortened?

Oh, yeah! The Jeep brand is well represented.

My 2003 TJ and 1980 CJ-7.
    picture.php

I think LoveMachine on here is trying to organize an INGO Jeepers get-together this spring.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't read this whole thread but... Has there ever been an INGO jeep event organized? Say to an off road park like Badlands or Haspin Acres? I am getting my jeep running after sitting for 5 years.

I tried a couple times, but it never happened.

What kind of jeep do you have?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have an 84 CJ7. I bought it when I was in high school. Its not in great condition. The previous owner put a really poor paint job over some pretty shoddy body work and a ton of bondo. Looked okay for awhile but falling off now.

It has sat unused for the last 5 or so years. It has a brake fluid leak and needs a complete exhaust system. I am in the process of colllecting parts. I have two weeks off at the end of October when I intend to put a complete brake line kit and complete exhaust on it.

Fuel delivery needs some work as well. It currently has an early version analog Holley projection on an AMC 304. It has never run right with it. I'm going to ditch that for either a Holley Truck Avenger or a Quadrajet. Havent decided. The carb I had before was a Carter AFB that wouldnt run on any kind of incline. That's why I went for the projection.

While I'm doing that I'll throw on some new Q78 TSL's and regear the axles. Needless to say, I wont be ready for a trail run on Oct 18. But I hope to get all this done in the two weeks I'm off.

I miss having it to play in. Its time I resurrected it. I'll throw up some pics later. When you see it yyou'll wonder why I dont just buy aa different jeep. :-)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm pretty late to the party here, as this post is pretty darned old. However, assuming you see this, what front axle are running here? Is that a 44? And what did you pull it out of? Shortened?
    Assuming you mean in the CJ? ;)

Scout II Dana 44. Not shortened at all. They are 3" wider (1.5" / side) than a Jeep CJ Widetrack Dana 30. Makes for a decent swap. Need to out-board the spring hangers, though.

This one had warn hubs, Chromoly shafts and u-joints, OX Locker, and was geared to 4.56:1. Once I upgraded to the chromoly, I had very few issues with this axle.

Note: IH used what was essentially a Dana 30 outer knuckle (with large brakes) on their front Dana 44. So, the hubs are the same as a 6-bolt Jeep hub, and they are notably weaker than the Chevy/Ford versions. I never had hub issues, though.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Running 35's? What kind of issues did you have? Was it broken shafts that pushed you to upgrade to chrome moly?

Assuming you mean in the CJ? ;)

Scout II Dana 44. Not shortened at all. They are 3" wider (1.5" / side) than a Jeep CJ Widetrack Dana 30. Makes for a decent swap. Need to out-board the spring hangers, though.

This one had warn hubs, Chromoly shafts and u-joints, OX Locker, and was geared to 4.56:1. Once I upgraded to the chromoly, I had very few issues with this axle.

Note: IH used what was essentially a Dana 30 outer knuckle (with large brakes) on their front Dana 44. So, the hubs are the same as a 6-bolt Jeep hub, and they are notably weaker than the Chevy/Ford versions. I never had hub issues, though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Running 35's? What kind of issues did you have? Was it broken shafts that pushed you to upgrade to chrome moly?
    That pic was with 37's, I believe.

I broke 2 shafts and a u-joint in a year. Just too much tire/weight for the stock shafts/joints.

I also broke 3 shafts and a ring/pinion in the rear Dana 44. That's what convinced me to sell them off. The CJ is now on jackstands, patiently waiting for me to finish a Dana 60 and 14-bolt swap. I think the Dana 44 would have been FINE with a 35" or smaller tire, or less aggressive driving.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Did you adjust caster angle on the scout axle or run it stock? Where did you get your hi steer flat knuckles?

Still have that 44?
    I did cut and turn the knuckles. Forget about that! What a pain. Lots of grinding, lots of hammering, and paid someone else to weld them. Found the knuckles on e-bay. High steer arms were from here : Home Page*?*Harsh Terrain*?*Extreme 4x4 Parts & Custom Fabrication

Sold those axles in 2012. Been on jack stands ever since....

Top Bottom