• ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    THREAD REVIVAL!

Show your Jeep mods! I need inspiration! I have a few things coming for this, so updates to follow....

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler W Edition

20150411_145055_zpskoj9bsmp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20150411_142951_zpsyrcg1sbd.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20150411_145111_zpsnvrusowx.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Nice looking Jeep! Love the color, too!

I just got back from the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab last week, so here are some pics from Jeep fantasy land!

IMG_0358_zpslwp9kgnh.jpg

2015-04-10%2016.06.20_zpstrpoampq.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0358_zpslwp9kgnh.jpg
      IMG_0358_zpslwp9kgnh.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Nice looking Jeep! Love the color, too!

Thanks! I was VERY picky with want I wanted. They located the only one like it in the nation 600 miles away. The color, (Copper Pearl) was iffy in the brochure, but I was SUPER happy seeing it in person!

Looks like you had a blast! I almost went Rubicon, but I believe the only difference between the Rubicon and mine is the sway-bar disconnect. I don't see myself doing anything really crazy, and I really like the Willys. So I went with that. :)

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I believe the Rubicon would have lower gearing than your Willys. Rubicon have 4.10, I think? And the Willys would have 3.73.

Also, the Rubicon axles would be a little stronger as well.

Which is no big deal unless you're wanting to run a much larger size tire.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I believe the Rubicon would have lower gearing than your Willys. Rubicon have 4.10, I think? And the Willys would have 3.73.

Correct, the Rubi has Dana 44's front and rear, the Willys has a Dana 44 rear and Dana 35 front, xfer case and gearing are way different as well, along with locking diffs and electric sway bar disconnect! But for many thousands less, the Willys is still a capable performer! I bought a Black 2 door Willys over the Rubi, simply because I couldn't find a Rubi with a 6-speed manual. I also tried to get Tank Green with a manual, but No Joy!:(

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Thanks! I was VERY picky with want I wanted. They located the only one like it in the nation 600 miles away. The color, (Copper Pearl) was iffy in the brochure, but I was SUPER happy seeing it in person!

Looks like you had a blast! I almost went Rubicon, but I believe the only difference between the Rubicon and mine is the sway-bar disconnect. I don't see myself doing anything really crazy, and I really like the Willys. So I went with that. :)

My deal was the similar back in late '07. I wanted Steel Blue with a manual and side air bags. That combo was nearly impossible to find and I searched coast to coast. A guy in Chicago had ordered one in February of '07 and it finally arrived in September! He then decided he didn't want it and the salesman kept my contact info and called me. I went up there that night and bought it. I've got 93,000 reliable miles on it. The slave cylinder on the clutch went out as I was getting on I70 to go to Moab! I found a Jeep dealer in Kansas City open on Saturdays and was able to get it fixed and on the road in 1.5 hours, so we were REALLY lucky. I'll be keeping this Jeep for many years to come. It has been just amazing, both on and off the road.

Lockers, 4:1 crawl ratio (Not as beneficial here in Indiana as in the West) and Dana 44 up front are the other Rubi differences. If I were buying one today, though, I'd go with the Willy's. Most of the time, I'd actually like to have a little taller low range. The 4:1 was great for the really tough rock crawling in Moab, though, and it made having a manual transmission easier there, too. My buddy has a stock Sahara with a tire upgrade that did every trail I did. He did bang the skid plate up a bit, though. The 2" lift made far more difference than I ever thought it would.

For clarification, there is both the 4.10 axle ratio AND a 4:1 crawl ratio with the different transfer case in the Rubi. It is set up for rock crawling, and I can tell you I was able to go up the steepest hill in 1st gear, low range, and not touch the gas pedal at all. It was able to idle right up, even over obstacles, with the lockers engaged and sway bar disconnected. It really was amazing, especially with a manual transmission. 98% in Moab ran autos, but the manual never caused me an issue on the trail.

The Willy's, Sport, or Sahara can be built up with lockers and a manual sway bar disconnect for probably significantly less than the price of a Rubi. The Dana 30 up front is pretty close to the Dana 44 in most respects, and isn't much weaker. I saw probably a thousand Jeeps in Moab with Dana 30's up front running 35" tires and aftermarket lockers, so I'd bet it is plenty strong. I went with the Rubi because the wife allowed it and because they had a lifetime powertrain warranty at the time, and I wanted lockers and such covered.

I put a 2" lift on mine and went to 33.3" BFG KM2's after the OEM KM's wore out. (They went 70k miles, and still had plenty of tread left, so you'll get great life out of those amazing tires!) I didn't go wild with lift and tires because I like to drive it on the road, too, and I don't want to break axles or suspension parts. When you go with 35's and up, that starts to happen. We saw it a few times on the trail in Moab. I've never witnessed a stock or near-stock Jeep break drive train or suspension parts on the trail. (The weak 3.8 engine in the older JK's doesn't hurt in saving drive train parts, either! Lol!)

Here's a couple more...

2015-04-06%2018.39.04_zpsajk2spfn.jpg

2015-04-06%2018.39.27_zps79ievq2x.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My deal was the similar back in late '07. I wanted Steel Blue with a manual and side air bags. That combo was nearly impossible to find and I searched coast to coast. A guy in Chicago had ordered one in February of '07 and it finally arrived in September! He then decided he didn't want it and the salesman kept my contact info and called me. I went up there that night and bought it. I've got 93,000 reliable miles on it. The slave cylinder on the clutch went out as I was getting on I70 to go to Moab! I found a Jeep dealer in Kansas City open on Saturdays and was able to get it fixed and on the road in 1.5 hours, so we were REALLY lucky. I'll be keeping this Jeep for many years to come. It has been just amazing, both on and off the road.

Lockers, 4:1 crawl ratio (Not as beneficial here in Indiana as in the West) and Dana 44 up front are the other Rubi differences. If I were buying one today, though, I'd go with the Willy's. Most of the time, I'd actually like to have a little taller low range. The 4:1 was great for the really tough rock crawling in Moab, though, and it made having a manual transmission easier there, too. My buddy has a stock Sahara with a tire upgrade that did every trail I did. He did bang the skid plate up a bit, though. The 2" lift made far more difference than I ever thought it would.

I put a 2" lift on mine and went to 33.3" BFG KM2's after the OEM KM's wore out. (They went 70k miles, and still had plenty of tread left, so you'll get great life out of those amazing tires!)

Here's a couple more...

2015-04-06%2018.39.04_zpsajk2spfn.jpg

2015-04-06%2018.39.27_zps79ievq2x.jpg
    Curious if the 2" lift involved adapting the steering or drive shaft angles at all? I'm considering the AEV 2" lift now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Correct, the Rubi has Dana 44's front and rear, the Willys has a Dana 44 rear and Dana 35 front, xfer case and gearing are way different as well, along with locking diffs and electric sway bar disconnect! But for many thousands less, the Willys is still a capable performer! I bought a Black 2 door Willys over the Rubi, simply because I couldn't find a Rubi with a 6-speed manual. I also tried to get Tank Green with a manual, but No Joy!:(

I think you mean Dana 30 in the front.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Curious if the 2" lift involved adapting the steering or drive shaft angles at all? I'm considering the AEV 2" lift now.

2" isn't A LOT, but there's still a possibility of driveline vibrations. Usually changing the angle of the driveshaft will correct this. I corrected mine with buying 8 adjustable control arms. $$$$$$$ but I went with a Currie 4" suspension for my TJ.

The only thing you'd have to do with your steering is to upgrade it with heavier parts, IF you plan on running 35" tires and larger.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Nope. Only sway bar drop links, which came with it. It was an AEV spacer lift, and it has worked really well, even with the suspension at full articulation with the sway bar disconnected and steering at full lock. I couldn't be happier.

It also had shock extensions, so I could run the stock Rubi shocks. It also came with new bump stops and brake line brackets to keep from stretching or rubbing them.

Btw, I just replaced the old Rubi shocks in Moab. Rancho had a free trial and installation of their new RS5000-X shocks, so I took them up on it. The deal was that if you tried them and liked them, you buy them and the installation is still free, or you have them take them off and put yours back on with no charge.

I liked them, especially off road, so I went to pay the guys and when I got my wallet out, the Rancho rep extended his hand, shook mine, and said, "Congratulations. They are yours." To say I was happy would have been an understatement! It took those poor guys an hour and a half to get the corroded bolts freed up at the top of the front shocks. I offered repeatedly to pay for them, but they wouldn't accept it. The ride is a little more firm, but I was able to lose the extensions because these were designed for a 2" lift. The lift worked equally well with the Rubi shocks and these Ranchos.

Overall, the Jeep feels very similar to stock on the road, with maybe a slightly softer ride (with the Rubi shocks.) That's exactly what I wanted. I loved the way it drove stock, and didn't want to lose that, yet I wanted to get a better break-over angle and not rub the skid plates as much. Mission accomplished. I'll show pics of my skid plate vs. my buddy's stock Sahara after taking the same trails. It made a HUGE difference.

Also, I went with a tire that was taller than the stock BFG KM's. I didn't want to push more wind, but wanted the additional 1/2 inch or so ground clearance and the stronger side walls of the KM2. (KM sidewalls are plenty strong, though, in my experience.) They feel virtually the same as the 32" KM's, but are very slightly noisier. They were really impressive in Moab, with the way they handled everything from sand to jagged rocks to slick rock. I had very little wheelspin or breaking loose and they came away without much wear and tear on the sidewalls and no chunking, which was common among the Jeeps we were with.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here are the skid plate shots.

Mine--One dent toward the front. I came down on a pretty good sized rock.
    20150401_145955_zpso3jbdacz.jpg

Here's my buddy's. I had to back up to get it all! His is a 2013 Sahara JKU. He had tires that probably were about 32" diameter, but no lift. He Got around just fine, and the skid plate did its job. He also bumped the cross member of the frame pretty good, too.
    20150401_145913_zpskgpazupu.jpg

It was just amazing what a stock Jeep could do. Also, my friend was a bit inexperienced. I think some of that damage could have been avoided with better tire placement on the obstacles. He's not inexperienced anymore, however. ;)

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here are the Rancho shocks. They were amazing off road, but slightly more firm than the stock Rubicon shocks on road, which is fine. Along with the firmness comes a slight improvement in stability. Overall, I'm really pleased with them, especially for free!

The Rubicon shocks were good, too, and after 90,000+ miles with a good bit of off roading, they still had good life left in them. They were made by Tenneco, which is the parent company of Rancho.

That guy under there is one of the poor Rancho reps who struggled in hot weather to get those siezed Indiana road salt treated bolts off the front shocks!

20150329_180126_zpsgdi8hndw.jpg

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County

I then stand corrected. For some reason, I could have swore the Willys had an upgraded suspension and diffs over the standard Sport. At least an HD front.

Top Bottom