• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Once you've got your dope memorized for a particular load, it's alot faster and easier.
    Range it, read the wind and send it!

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    I'm not trying to thread jack or anything but I would love to get involved in long range shooting. What do you all suggest on a good starter rifle?

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Savage has the nicest factory barrel out there.
    I started with a Rem 700VS then added an AICS stock as my position while prone was not good. The AICS helped.
    I have a GA Precision rig now, but that's another story.

Savage makes a factory F Class rifle. NICE. Chambered in 6.5x284 or .308
    Both will be just fine. If you really want to get serious the F Class "Open" class will allow that 6.5x284, but honestly, the .308 will teach you the wind better, you can buy good match grade amo and you'll be able to sell it easier once you get the bug and order a custom rig. 6.5x284 is a great cartridge, but the .308 is a lot more versital.

The club that I shoot with is Central indiana Highpower Rifle Shooters.
    CIHPRS Home
    Email Sue Mogule and have you name added to that base's security list. Com out and watch a match or shoot one!
    I'd be glad to helpout with advice on what to expect and what you'll need.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I started with a Rem 700VS then added an AICS stock as my position while prone was not good. The AICS helped.

Both will be just fine. If you really want to get serious the F Class "Open" class will allow that 6.5x284, but honestly, the .308 will teach you the wind better, you can buy good match grade amo and you'll be able to sell it easier once you get the bug and order a custom rig. 6.5x284 is a great cartridge, but the .308 is a lot more versital.

CIHPRS Home
    Email Sue Mogule and have you name added to that base's security list. Com out and watch a match or shoot one!

+1 on the Savage. I'm pretty new to precision shooting and have been able to achieve -.3" three-shot groups more than once with an out-of-the-box Savage HS-Precision.

So, a $20 membership fee and a match fee is all I need to be able to shoot at Atterbury? What was the $300 mentioned in the previous page?

One more question, where do you shoot to record your dope for different environments? I don't imagine you can go to Atterbury every time you please.

I have my basic dope out to 400 yds, but I'd like to get another for this hot and humid weather.

Thanks. :)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i see you are in cayuga. check with darrel at darrel's custom firearms and see if he can suggest a range. i know there are a couple private ranges close to you that go out to 1000m.

jdlotto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008

CIHPRS Home
    Thankx for the info...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is absolutely nothing more boring than watching a rifle match, especially long range. Bring a rifle and ammo and at least a 300 yard zero for the rifle and we will get you on at 1000 yards.

You don't have to be a member of CIHPRS, the NRA, or ISRPA to shoot CIHPRS matches. (Although, IMHO your should be members of at least the last two) If you are not a CIHPRS member, I think they charge an extra $3 for the match. $28 instead of $25.

The $300 membership referred to is for Young's Longshot range. This is a private range and that is their membership fee as I understand.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    The $300 membership referred to is for Young's Longshot range. This is a private range and that is their membership fee as I understand.

Youngs Longshot Range membership fee is $300 the first year and $200 for renewal. Also to be a member there you must be have a NRA membership.

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    My long range consists of prairie dog shooting since my Indiana ground hog spots dried up. I recommend it highly if you want to improve your marksmanship. I use a .223 because it's accurate and it's cheap. My rich friend shoots a .204 Ruger 'cause he's affluent and doesn't care how much he spends on guns. I wish I was rich too.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Me too!

Between the wife and I we shot around 2K rds of .223 & .204 this year on prairie dogs. I couldn't afford to do it if I didn't reload. Of course we aren't shooting anywhere near 1000 yards. So far, our (actually her) longest verified kill has been 532. I often think about getting something capable of longer shots but I'm not sure what it would be! .308? 6.5X284? ??X???? I can't see myself shooting several hundred rds a day with a real boomer!

Sorry about hijacking the thread, BTW.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Sorry about hijacking your Hijack, what about this :)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/7760-wts_6mm_ar_turbo_highpower_comp_rifle.html

Between the wife and I we shot around 2K rds of .223 & .204 this year on prairie dogs. I couldn't afford to do it if I didn't reload. Of course we aren't shooting anywhere near 1000 yards. So far, our (actually her) longest verified kill has been 532. I often think about getting something capable of longer shots but I'm not sure what it would be! .308? 6.5X284? ??X???? I can't see myself shooting several hundred rds a day with a real boomer!

Sorry about hijacking the thread, BTW.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Do you all recommend a .308 for a beginner?

Yes, 308 is fine for a beginner and everybody else too. Sure, there are flatter shooting cartridges, but center hits can certainly be made out to 1000 yards if you can dope the wind. Just ask the US Palma team.

As for me, I shoot a Remington 40X in 308 with a 30 inch Kreiger barrel with a 13 twist and iron sights. The bullet is a 155 Berger at about 2950 FPS. It will shoot X's all day long and I am not a beginner.

I also shoot a 260 at 1000 yards with a Sierra 142 at about 2700 fps. It works too.

Is your interest long range target or varmint shooting? I would have a different answer if it is varmint shooting.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Yes, 308 is fine for a beginner and everybody else too. Sure, there are flatter shooting cartridges, but center hits can certainly be made out to 1000 yards if you can dope the wind. Just ask the US Palma team.

As for me, I shoot a Remington 40X in 308 with a 30 inch Kreiger barrel with a 13 twist and iron sights. The bullet is a 155 Berger at about 2950 FPS. It will shoot X's all day long and I am not a beginner.

I also shoot a 260 at 1000 yards with a Sierra 142 at about 2700 fps. It works too.

Is your interest long range target or varmint shooting? I would have a different answer if it is varmint shooting.

Good info! I think that most of my shooting will just be target. I would like to do varmit someday but mostly just target.

Top Bottom