Any one else get "made" at thanksgiving dinner?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I went to my girlfreinds aunts house for dinner. Everything was good, I finished eating and decided to step out on the porch "smokers lounge" for a smoke. I went into the sideroom where all of the coats are kept to get my carhartt jacket. As I reach out to grab my jacket, my girlfreinds-cousins-daughter (I think) who is 7-8 years old walks up to me and puts some little buzzing thing on my arm, I looked down and said "whatcha got there" she said "a bug" and showed me a little buzzing toy bug. I said very cool and turned and put my jacket on. Well apparently when I did the reaching up motion putting my jacket on or something, this little girl with her eagle eyes sees the bottom of my holster.
    Heres how it goes.
    Her: Hey, what is that?
    Me: what is what?
    Here: (she leans in and talks quiet) Is that a gun?
    Me: Where, no, that is my cell phone.
    Her: Then let me see it.
    Me: No, why would you want to see my phone.
    At this point I am kind of moveing away tawards the door. She follows me into the main room and from 5 or 6 feet away points at me and I quote "HE HAS A GUN!" infront of half her family, Since many of the people either already knew I carry or where not listening to the little girl, I asked her to please be quiet and go play.
    She comes a little closer and leans in and sais "then let meeee seeee it".
    I responded with NO and went onto the porch.
    She followed me.........
    Her: Let me see!
    Me: look, will you please just go in there and play with the other kids and let it go for now.
    Her grandmother was on the porch and did not know what she was after me for, but quickly told her to go in there and bahave.
    So, I walk back in after the smoke and sit on the couch. She comes into the living room and sits next to me.
    Her: let me see it. seee-seeee-seeee-seeee-seeee
    Me: I told you it's just a phone.
    Her: No, Aunt Debbie (my GF's Mom) told me you have a gun.
    Me: :rolleyes: Look, there is a time and place for everything. You have to be responsible with guns, it wouldn't be very responsible for me to take a gun out and start showing it off with all of these people here now would it?
    -Silence, she sat next to me for 5 or 10 Min. I guess thinking about it and then moved on a left it alone for the rest of the time.

So anybody else have any trouble makers point them out.:D
    I tried to handle it the best I could on the spot, I really hadn't figured on anyone seeing it and had been fine for a couple of hours untill her little hawk eyes spotted me.
    It wasn't a big ordeal or anything, but she definatly put me in the spotlight

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Hey man, sorry to hear you got made. It could of been worse. They seemed to be gun neutral or close to pro. I once was seeing this girl who was anti carry then I got her on the fence but her family was complete anti. Talk about an uncomfortable meal.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Honestly my thought on this at the time was if I showed her my gun, she could go back and tell her family members "he showed me a gun" or something, which of course wouldn't look very good.
    I really do not know this little girl or her parents at all, if it had been one of her little neices or something I may have. You never know how people are going to react, I did not want an angry parent asking why I would be showing their child my gun.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Everyone at my moms already knew. There was a you kid there today so in case of a turkey nap, I walked straight in to the back bedroom and locked mine in the safe. Rearmed when he left

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    My ruger LCP fell out of my back pocket when I went to get up out of my chair and my wife said "hey, you forgot something"

It remained in its holster, but I gotta get a kydex IWB for that thing.:rolleyes:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Last night after Church one of the Pastors pulled me aside and said.

"where are you from?"

Me "Canada"

Him "How does a Canadian have a concealed gun?"

Me "I have an LTCH."

Him "Okay, how does a Canadian have an LTCH?"

Me "I live here, I followed the requirements and applied."

Him 'Okay I was just wondering, I saw your shoulder holster when you bent over to get a hymnal and i was concerned."

Me 'Do you carry?"

Him "Usually but it's in the trunk. I also have my Utah non res and when I mentioned to my wife I thought you were carrying the first thing she asked me was. You brought your gun right?"

I just chuckled and carried on.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Last night after Church one of the Pastors pulled me aside and said.

"where are you from?"

Me "Canada"

Him "How does a Canadian have a concealed gun?"

Me "I have an LTCH."

Him "Okay, how does a Canadian have an LTCH?"

Me "I live here, I followed the requirements and applied."

Him 'Okay I was just wondering, I saw your shoulder holster when you bent over to get a hymnal and i was concerned."

Me 'Do you carry?"

Him "Usually but it's in the trunk. I also have my Utah non res and when I mentioned to my wife I thought you were carrying the first thing she asked me was. You brought your gun right?"

I just chuckled and carried on.

Wow. Just wow.

Good on you for chuckling and moving on... but if he was serious, I would have been annoyed.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I didn't get made today, even though I normally OC, however I decided discretion was best and put my sidearm in my coat pocket in the coat closet. There were people there who don't know I carry, there are people who may know I carry, there are people who know I carry regularly, and there are people who are happy with me carrying and actually would join me if they had proper carry weapon.

My in-law's cooking space in the kitchen isn't all that big, and I would have been bumping up against people (more so than I was anyway) with my sidearm on my belt. Besides, I didn't think the gravy and mashed potatoes I was making required an armed guard (the pie, however, might have).

But this was the second time I was able to speak with one of the members of the family that know I carry, but don't understand or wish to do so themselves. I think I'm making some headway with them. She said she felt that it would concern her if she saw someone OCing in public, since it's not normal. She liked the idea of CC (out of sight, out of mind) until I pointed out that 1) I OC 9.5 out of 10, and 2) criminals don't want to draw attention to themselves, so that OCer she might find in public is probably a law abiding citizen, and more than likely someone to trust since they're "putting it out there that they're armed".

I commended her for her open mind, and her common sense. I mentioned to her that most "fears" about gun ownership, carry, and guns in general were based on myth, lack of proper information, and lack of experience. She didn't balk at that idea. She may not be someone I can eventually turn into an owner/carrier, but I think she'd be willing to do a gun range trip. I think she'd enjoy it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I wore my OWB but wore a somewhat large fitting button up shirt that covered it. My cousin knows I carry but isn't crazy about it. And her sons know I carry and like it, and also both want to learn to shoot and are interested in them. But my cousin is kinda overprotective about it. So I just slowly work with her and hope someday she will learn they aren't as bad as she thinks.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    No but dinner was at my house so it wouldn't have mattered. I carry all the time except at work or when I go to Ohio. We had 38 people for Thanksgiving dinner so our home was packed and lots of kids there too. All my guns but my carry gun were locked in the gunsafe. My niece's husband is an avid shooter and asked to see some of my guns so we went into the room where the gunsafe is, shut the door and I let him check some out. Even let him check out my carry gun after unloading it. Both my family and my Wife's family know I own guns and carry. I do not OC anywhere but that is just personal preference. I feel like CC gives an old fart like me a little advantage.:laugh:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    At family gatherings...I just ankle carry...that way, I got one, but there's no accidently 'bumping into' anyone and end up having an arguement with an idiot. I have people on both sides of the family (mine and wife's) who know I have and carry them, but they never catch me at it. It's quite sad really...those who hate me for carrying it will be the first ones to want me up front protecting them if someone walks up to the house causing a problem, who will then hate me again for having it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We're doing dinner today at my house, About 25 people will be here.
    Including myself I'm thinking there will be atleast 3 carrying.
    This reminds me of when I first started dating my wife, her mom made me. She swore I was a drug dealer because I carried a gun. The wife(GF at the time) told her if I was a drug dealer I'd have nicer clothes and a nicer car. this was probably 23 years ago, MIL doesnt bat an eye now.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Both sides of the family come to my house for T-day. I put an unbuttoned button up shirt on over my t-shirt to cover the hardware out of politeness but I made no further efforts to conceal. If I was "made" it wouldn't have surprised anyone.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Out of respect for my mother, I left my handgun at home. Normally I would just leave it in my car but I didn't drive this year and the person I rode with would have had a fit if I left it there. I was made once while there for a holiday so now my mother always makes a point to "ask" me to leave my gun at home.

Top Bottom