Any one else get "made" at thanksgiving dinner?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    You can bet your bottom dollar that if you get spotted, it will be one of the little ones to do it. They don't have the mental distractions that make concealing from adults so easy. Plus, their vantage point is perfect for spotting stuff under your cover garmet. Ah, kids! we can learn a lot from them.;)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    carrying at moms

Out of respect for my mother, I left my handgun at home. Normally I would just leave it in my car but I didn't drive this year and the person I rode with would have had a fit if I left it there. I was made once while there for a holiday so now my mother always makes a point to "ask" me to leave my gun at home.
    A while back i was at my moms and cc'ing she bumped into me and asked what's that?..I told her my phone, she left it alone..she's ANTI-gun, but I still carry at her house...don't ask, don't tell...of course she is not happy about me selling a shotgun to my step-dad, but at least I know there's a gun around her that can help to protect her when I'm not there!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I think that most of the people were a little puzzled by what she was saying, I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans that fit nice (not loose).
    I think that most of the people who heard her and did not know that I carry, where thinking "where is it then?". I am a skinny guy and when I do show my gun people are usually pretty surprised that I have it under my T-shirt and you cannot see it.
    The other thing is I think my girlfreinds Mom handled things while I was outside. She has gone from anti-guns to pro-carry in that last couple of years as I mentioned in another thread.
    Her opinion is really the most important to me of anyone who was there. A couple of months ago she came over to the house and asked when we carryed and wanted to know we carry whenever possible. I let her know that we both carry 99% of the time.
    When I mentioned to her that I couldn't believe that the little girl had seen my gun, she shrugged and smiled. She never sees my gun and I don't think that she thought that I was carrying last night, untill the girl said something. I think she realized that even though she cannot always see it, it is there and if someone attempted harm to me or my girlfreind at any time TSWHTF.:D
    This was the second time in 3 years I'v been pointed at in "public" and someone has said "HE HAS A GUN!" both times I have thought to myself "RUN!" :):

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    I've stopped being secretive over guns at family functions. My Father-In-Law and I had my Springer 1911 out in the middle of the living room with the entire family around yesterday....and this was mixed company that no one really knew if they were cool with guns or not. Knowing him, his house his rules. He then in turn brought out a bad a$$ 357 Colt Cobra that he is about to buy off a guy for $400. :rockwoot:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    All my family and friends know I carry. I haven't had anyone complain or act surprised yet! One thing for sure is my 5yo and 6yo kids would never be surprised like that girl was. They know quite a bit about guns and are never surprised or shocked to see one. :D

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    well wasnt made but

I had my warthog on the kitchen counter all morning long as i cooked dinner.... left it there during dinner as all are adults whom i trust and no one even mentioned it???..... wth???? oh well..... guess thats what i get for surrounding myself with rednecks!!!!!!!! in morgan county i actually thin its a requirement to be a resident to be pro-gun...................tim

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I actually concealed for a change. That surprised my wife more than anything ("You aren't carrying today? Oh, there it is...."). My Father-in-law and I talked guns over dessert. Looks like I'm taking him out to Bradis in the next week or so.

I had a 5-year-old bang her head into the grip a couple of times (Ow! Hey, wanna color with me? Ow! Hey, wanna sing a song?, Ow.....). She's a klutz.

Everyone knows I carry. They either support it, or are over it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    she's ANTI-gun, but I still carry at her house...don't ask, don't tell

This is how it is with my fiance's family. Well, I dont know they are anti, but I also dont want to find out. I know her mom would not react in the most acceptable fashion. They know I own guns, since I have taken my fiance out to shoot. During the actual Thanksgiving dinner, I didnt carry. The shirt I was wearing was not quite long enough to conceal, and I didnt want to deal with getting "made". The night before when we went out for dinner with them, I carried with no problem. Her 1 1/2 year old cousin kept grabbing me right there though, he clearly knew I had something. The adults didnt put it together though.

Last Sunday with my mom's side of the family I fell asleep on the floor and one of her uncles noticed. It was fine, he asked to see it. I looked at him funny, and he insisted and offered to show me his FOID card (I chuckled at that). I looked around to make sure no one was in the room that would mind and let him have a look. We had a nice chat about pistols, and he said he is thinking about getting a revolver now that he is able to (lives in Chicago). He was also surprised to learn that not only do we not have to register our guns or have some sort of FOID card, our LTCH doesnt even have our picture on it!

Then on Thanksgiving day at my dad's side of the family, I had one cousin call me out on it right before we left. No big deal, that side of the family is very pro-gun. Like I said above, the shirt I was wearing didnt really conceal to well.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    We have dinner at our house. This year we had 2 college kids from a local school that could not go home for Thanksgiving. My mother is a sponsor of one of them. The local school gets local families to expose international kids to our customs and her young man is from Kenya. These guys come over and after dinner it is tradition at our house to go to the range behind my house and shoot. So yea I got made and I also got to introduce shooting to those guys that have never got to shoot before. One of the young men was from a large city and was very nervous about the guns by the end of the day I had instructed him on safety and proper shooting form and we had a great time. The one that was real nervous had somone take a vidio of him shooting so he could show his family.

Great Thanksgiving for me!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Hee HEE ,We all carry guns at my thanksgivings( the men),its the equivalent of wearing a shirt.My sister in law occasionally brings her mother(brother in laws wifes mother in law) to these gatherings & brings up the subject that everyone is packing and talks about what a better world it would be without guns in which I told her the last time its not a better world & I will carry wherever I can legally to protect myself & family .......She hasnt been back since

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    hey folks great topic, i cc everywhere. i mean everywhere, you will not be the one to choose the time/place that an armed response is not only needed ...but unquestionably required! doubleshock

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I got "made" one year by my Aunt. She hugged me and said "whats that!". My family is cool about it all. There are enough Cops and former Military on both sides that it is a topic of positive conversation. Now, if I think someone is going to try and hug me, I hug them around the waist first and they are forced to move there arms higher.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Everyone that attended our family dinner knows I am usually armed.

Therefore, it is a given, and no one comments. And I do carry concealed, although sometimes, with the larger handguns, it is pretty obvious there is something lurking under there. ;)

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I got made at three different houses. I open carried my Ruger GP100 4" barrel at my mom's parents, my fiancé's aunt and uncles house, and then my dad's parents house. It's safe to say that my family and my fiancé's family all know and are comfortable with me carrying. The only comment was from my 2-3 year old cousin who was smiling and pointed at my gun and said "I like your gun. I have guns too" Toy guns, of course, but still, cool.

After reading all of your stories - I'm thankful for my family being cool with firearms.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    my family know's I carry, the only problem I have is my daughter keeps hitting her head on it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I got "made" nobody said anything about it. I was sitting on the couch watching the baby play and my wife layed down and proceeded to use my lap as a pillow. That is when she felt the revolver in my pocket jab her in the head. Yes my revolver, not my gun.

Top Bottom