• ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Here's my 1911 story: there is none.

I feel that I need to rectify this, but it seems a Colt/Kimber/Springfield may be both out of my immediate price range, and not as fun to tinker with (yeah, I want to take it apart and lose springs and bend and break things inside) as say a RIA tactical model?

Whatcha think. Good intro/project base? Or get one of those GSG .22 and shoot all day for fun?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your wanting a true .45 1911 the RIA is a good place to start for an entry level pistol My brother has one an between the both of us I cant even remember a total round cound but its over a 1000+. Very quality pistol for the money. Buy one an enjoy!

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I have a pair of Rocks and love them both. I also have a High Standard Crusader made by Armscor (Rock Island) that is a damn fine pistol, too. I think highly enough of all of them that they alternate as my regular EDC piece.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    You know, the more I look those Rock Island 1911s up, the more I lean towards them. There is a guy on youtube that shoots the Kimber and Rock side by side and for the price difference, there really isnt much difference. Get the Rock, hell, get the Rock Officer with the adjustable rear sight and other bonuses.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Here's my 1911 story: there is none.

I feel that I need to rectify this, but it seems a Colt/Kimber/Springfield may be both out of my immediate price range, and not as fun to tinker with (yeah, I want to take it apart and lose springs and bend and break things inside) as say a RIA tactical model?

Whatcha think. Good intro/project base? Or get one of those GSG .22 and shoot all day for fun?

I think either of those plans is fine for experimenting/range fun. Don't buy one stock to carry IMO, there are much better arms for carry at close to RIA prices.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I think either of those plans is fine for experimenting/range fun. Don't buy one stock to carry IMO, there are much better arms for carry at close to RIA prices.

I have a G19 for that. Or a LCP, which I hate, but tolerate for the size.

Yeah, I just can't find anything bad about RIA that would offset the nice price point. Most people seem to find them quality, and it won't be a necessary/defense piece. Ugh, money out the window.

And so it goes.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have RIA GI that's got over 9000 rounds thru it...
    I carry it on a regular basis and would trust my life too it.
    The only thing I've done to it is replace the recoil spring a couple of times. The springs weren't acting up but I'd rather change them out to keep them fresh. It helps maintain reliability and reduces frame battering which can happen to any brand of gun. The one complaint that I have is the finish... mine has the OD duracoat from the factory. It started to peal off of the hammer, slide stop, thumb safety and grip safety. Under the circumstances I guess it should be expected as these parts receive the most finger f***ing. What I did is strip these parts and cold blued them. My bluing skills are lacking so the results look more like worn WWII parkerizing but it serves the purpose. I keep a new and pre-fitted and tuned extractor from Wilson on the shelf just in case as well as replacement springs but so far It just keeps on banging away. If it does break... I'll fix it and keep on running it. It has earned my respect.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a RIA Officer model with a few hundred jam free rounds through her. I feel that it would be a fine 1911 to buy whatever the reason you want to buy it for.

I'll also add that buying a 1911 in .22 is a fantastic idea. :D I feel that you should have one of each (whatever 1911 in .45 that you choose AND one in .22 for all day cheap plinking.)

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I love mine, and haven't had an ounce of a problem with it. I not counted the rounds through it but I can say assuredly that it over 1,000 with no FTF's or FTE's, and I've fed it about every type of aound available. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I bought the RIA compact...just because I don't have an RIA. Got everything else but them till a month ago.
    So far I've had problems with battery issues, and slide issues.
    The battery issues are with my reloads, I've taken my 230gr RN down to OAL of 1.220 and still get some that don't want to lock up fully.
    My next move now is to try 200 gr casts and see if it's due to tight chamber.
    Slide issues are due to it locks up at the take down notch when letting the slide down slowly. MAg is in at time, take mag out it releases.
    I talked to Shawn at American? Tactical and he's sending me a new plunger, recoil spring and modified stop, to see if it'll fix the problems I'm having.
    Customer service is excellent, evewn though I'm having glitches with my compact.
    After talking to Shawn, and seeing what they are trying to do beyond sending it in to them, I'll buy me another one in the near future.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I pulled my RIA GI Milspec full size down friday night and noticed some unwarranted wear at 1,000 rds.
    It's getting a full spring kit replacement just as soon as it comes in the mail.
    The gun shoots great. Not in the class of a good Kimber, etc but a very good consistent shooter. After changing out the ACT mag to a McCormick CMC mag the gun's been 100% reliable.
    I had Russ Elmore shape polish up the ramp and I spent about an hour mirror polishing the ramp and barrel throat. It's slick now with a very nice crisp closure of the slide.
    When I enspected the main spring I noticed the fingers wearing thin like a soft metal wearing down.
    I think the price factor of this nice inexpensive gun is a good enough reason to buy one.
    After owning mine about 4? months I know why they're priced low. You get what you pay for but for an entry level 1911 they're hard to beat.
    IF I were buying my first 1911 I'd definitely save some extra $ and buy the Kimber Custom 2 or US assembled Springfield. It's not that much more $ and you'll have a higher quality gun in the end.
    I trust my RIA but see the need for service immediately so I'm doing it now before it's not 100% reliable.
    It's a cheap 1911. Bottom line. Better than most of the cheapies I've seen though.
    SAVE UP A LITTLE MORE $$ AND BUY A BETTER GUN.
    JMHO

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    For the money they are my choice for a 1911. A Kimber is nice if you have a spare 1000 dollars or more to put into a gun but most people dont. I have owned several 1911s and the RIA is a great gun. There is nothing spectacular about them but they work everytime you want to use it. The one I had got taken through the ringer. I beat and punished that gun in every way I could and it WOULD NOT FAIL. A friend of mine bought it off of me and it is still going. I couldnt even begin to guess at how many rounds that gun has seen and it hasnt had anything done to it other than regular maintenance. I say get one and have fun, it might end up being one of the best decisions you have made with guns.

Top Bottom