• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm just curious if anybody else on INGO is into retro AR rifles. I'm talking classic Vietnam era builds? I recently built a M16a1 semi clone, and I'm currently working on a Colt 601 and a Colt 603.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yep

a1done.JPG

m16.JPG

You all can keep all your dang rails and taticool crap

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    BigMoose, only thing that I see wrong with the top rifle is it needs a 20 round magazine in it, instead of the 30.
    I think a straight forward A2 rifle is going to be my next build.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yes and no,..............I'm not really a purist but I much prefer the older style. I don't get hung up on each individual feature and a 'real' collector would scoff at my mutts but in general they're all lightweight 20" barrels of 1:12 twist with full stocks. Some with fwd assist, deflector or not, a few slick side uppers. With few exceptions I avoid shorter barrels and any excessive weight. If I pull out a few oddballs and pile a dozen of my rifles in the dirt it would certainly make a picture that could pass for 1967.

I was buying complete takeoff uppers for cheap years ago when everybody else was adding short, railed flat-tops. NOS A1's with bolt and carrier with the cardboard tubes still in the bore for $300 apiece,...........I couldn't resist. Except for the square post front sight I consider every change starting with the A2 to be a step backwards.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Mine is not exactly a true A1. It's got some A2 stuff on it.

A2 lower (not worth the cost to get the A1)
    A2 dust cover (Has the extra tab to keep the lower from mangling it)
    A2 Forward Assist (The teardrops broke)
    A2 rear sight aperture and square front post (Like them better)
    A2 delta ring (Easier to pull on)
    20 Inch pencil barrel .625. BUT it's in 1/9 twist. Not chromed, but it is salt nitrided.
    Modern BCG

It's not exactly wrong ether. By the late 80s a lot of national guard A1s had a ton of A2 parts. They even ordered a replacement A1 lower that was an A2 profile.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I used an A-1, in USMC Boot, in 1977, it was an XM-16, it had the 3 prong flash hider....

Personally, I do not care to use the A-1 style, just for the simple fact, the sights are so much easier, on the A-2 style.....

However, I am a 20" barrel, user.... I will probably never go shorter.....

Just my pref.....

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    SSGSAD, strange to hear you was issued the A-1 with the 3 prong flash hider. I was a PMI at Parris Island when we changed over from the M-14 to the M16. I worked the first platoon with the M16. They were brand new rifles with the round flash hiders. Did you by chance go to San Diego, CA? Was your rifles new or did you get the old used ones from the fleet? Hard to think of the A2 as old school. It was a good improvement from the A1. Much better sights. I love the A2 good long range 5.56.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a couple modern guns and have never put one together myself yet. When I do it will be a A2

Sweet guns!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have one I've been converging on an SA Colt 602 model, one part at a time. I figure the only way I'll get a "proper" lower is to counterfeit one from an 80%, but at this point that's the only major component left. No forward assist or deflector (want to make a clamp on one so I can fire it wrong handed), 20" 12:1 barrel, triangle guards, three prong flash enhancer, the lot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got my retro upper done but I don't have any of the lower parts except the firing group and safety. I have a total of $60 in mine so far. Upper is in firing condition.
    The 20" barrel that was on the upper when I bought it was fired out. No rifling past the chamber about 8" and just a hint of rifling close to the muzzle.
    Natl Guard take off throwaways.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yes, the A2 changes turned a good rifle into a range pig. The last of the good qualities of the gun were done away with when the A2 came out. Anything earlier qualifies as "retro" in my mind. From A2 forward,............new fangled crap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, the A2 changes turned a good rifle into a range pig. The last of the good qualities of the gun were done away with when the A2 came out. Anything earlier qualifies as "retro" in my mind. From A2 forward,............new fangled crap.

What exactly are the features of an A2 that make it a bad rifle? A knob to turn the windage adjustment? A round handguard instead of a rounded triangular one? A storage compartment in the buttstock? Maybe the buttstock spacer that allows modern sized men to get a cheek weld while looking through the sights? What made it so terrible in your estimations?

Top Bottom