• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    One thing I can't seem to find enough of is good ol' American food restaurants. I'm talking hearty food, stuff that tastes like your Mom or Grandma made it in the cast iron skillet or in the home oven. I've got a craving for meatloaf, mashed potatoes, an ear of corn on the cob with a side of peas and apple sauce (maybe a biscuit with apple butter, too) but that's way too much food to prepare for this house of one (and I'd burn half of it). Aside from Cracker Barrel, which is only 'okay' in my opinion... what places like this exist?

Country fried steak, hand breaded and fried chicken, meatloaf, home made butter noodles, mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, fresh veggies, etc. The menu doesn't need to be pages long. If a place like this existed near me I'd probably go at least once a week regardless of price.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Now I'm hungry :-( Sit down mom and pop restaurants are like dinosaurs. Two of my aunts own restaurants when I was a kid. I really miss it! I have a few BBQ places I love that are mom and pop places. But sadly I don't know of any "home style" places either. :-(

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    There is this hole in the wall place in Commisky that is sort of like how I explained. I've not had it in ages though. Not far from me:

gdinXGsglzuknT.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_2.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_4.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_3.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_5.jpg

These are not my photos... taken from this forum here: How I ate my summer vacation | Roadfood.com Discussion Board

I do recall that they have good country fried steak and damn good pies...

547777_440067622679527_973107576_n.jpg

We need more hole-in-the-wall rinky dink food places. There are a lot of good restaurants near me but nothing (that I know of) that makes good ol' home cooked meals.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There is a hole in the wall in Elkhart I forgot about called Boomerelli's. They do home cooked lunch specials. I sure hope they are still there. I need to stop by!!!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Flap Jacks, their website isn't much, but their food is awesome. I've never ordered off the menu there, since they've got a specials board out every day. Tuesday, I had a bowl of chili with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese and a grilled cheese sandwich. I've also had meatloaf, ham and beans with cornbread, chicken pot pie, corned beef with cabbage, and a dozen other homestyle meals.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Flap Jacks, their website isn't much, but their food is awesome. I've never ordered off the menu there, since they've got a specials board out every day. Tuesday, I had a bowl of chili with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese and a grilled cheese sandwich. I've also had meatloaf, ham and beans with cornbread, chicken pot pie, corned beef with cabbage, and a dozen other homestyle meals.

We've got a Flapjack's just down the street from us and ate there a couple of weeks ago. DoggyMama got the beef Manhattan and it was enough for 3 meals (for her anyhow)!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The Clifty Inn has pretty good homecooked-ish food. I've only had lunch there once, it was good, not great, just good. Their breakfast buffet is pretty darned good, too.

Edit: I'm thinking OP is in or near Madison, for those that aren't familiar, Clifty Inn is in Clifty Falls state park.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    There is this hole in the wall place in Commisky that is sort of like how I explained. I've not had it in ages though. Not far from me:

gdinXGsglzuknT.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_2.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_4.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_3.jpg

LurtonsCommiskeyIN20130710_5.jpg

These are not my photos... taken from this forum here: How I ate my summer vacation | Roadfood.com Discussion Board

I do recall that they have good country fried steak and damn good pies...

547777_440067622679527_973107576_n.jpg

We need more hole-in-the-wall rinky dink food places. There are a lot of good restaurants near me but nothing (that I know of) that makes good ol' home cooked meals.
    You folks aren't going to believe this but that top picture was taken by my uncle. He loves that place and puts the signature "S. Bennett" and year on all his pictures. Small world!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is a place in noblesville called gingers cafe that is like that. They are only open for breakfast and lunch though. They have the best buiscits and gravy around!

Gingers? As in the soulless readheads or Mary Anne and Ginger variety?

I do love me some sausage gravy.

Top Bottom