• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One thing I can't seem to find enough of is good ol' American food restaurants. I'm talking hearty food, stuff that tastes like your Mom or Grandma made it in the cast iron skillet or in the home oven. I've got a craving for meatloaf, mashed potatoes, an ear of corn on the cob with a side of peas and apple sauce (maybe a biscuit with apple butter, too) but that's way too much food to prepare for this house of one (and I'd burn half of it). Aside from Cracker Barrel, which is only 'okay' in my opinion... what places like this exist?

Country fried steak, hand breaded and fried chicken, meatloaf, home made butter noodles, mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, fresh veggies, etc. The menu doesn't need to be pages long. If a place like this existed near me I'd probably go at least once a week regardless of price.

It would be a bit of a drive for you but The Hub, in Mitchell is pretty good. We've eaten there a few times and have always been satisfied. When the Maple St. Restaurant in Orleans went out of business, some of the people that ran it teamed up with The Hub. The parking lot is pretty full when you drive by at lunch and dinner (especially on the weekends), so it must be doing pretty well.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Stop by sometime my wife makes everything you like.... Shes a great cook makes her own home made buiscits and home made pie crust's too. Just the way my mom made stuff... Plus she has all my mom's old recipes... Love her chip beef gravy too... Mmmmm , now Im hungry.... ;)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Stop by sometime my wife makes everything you like.... Shes a great cook makes her own home made buiscits and home made pie crust's too. Just the way my mom made stuff... Plus she has all my mom's old recipes... Love her chip beef gravy too... Mmmmm , now Im hungry.... ;)

Oh man, chip beef gravy! I haven't had that since I was a kid! My mom has been gone for 5 years now, and she was a gravy wizard. I asked her quite a few years ago to make it for me, but she wouldn't, she said "that's what we ate all the time when we didn't have the money for anything else". :( I loved the stuff.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Oh man, chip beef gravy! I haven't had that since I was a kid! My mom has been gone for 5 years now, and she was a gravy wizard. I asked her quite a few years ago to make it for me, but she wouldn't, she said "that's what we ate all the time when we didn't have the money for anything else". :( I loved the stuff.

So many family recipes that we love were things my grandma made out of necessity. Homemade kraut is nothing but cabbage and salt, but it is hard to beat! I've got a crock full now fermenting happily. My grandma made a tomato garlic soup with dumplings that we love and is the simplest ingredients. Hubby said tonight is his night to cook. We may have to visit my cousin's restaurant and see what he's got cooking...he does many of grandma's soups and main dishes for his specials. Too far north for the OP but he has the Satellite Inn in Union Mills.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I have introduced my kids to it and they love it! It is worth the time to learn how to make a gravy. A lot of people can't. This is a simple dish that is quick and easy to make. If you want, I can send some instructions on how to make it.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I'll +1 Gray Brothers Cafe in Mooresville. Excellent Home style cooking. I havent been to Mann's in years, but it was good and the food was plentiful. There was a smorgasbord in Hagarstown, Wellivers (sp??). Looking on the internet it looks like they've changed hands and are Willie and Reds.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    The Clifty Inn has pretty good homecooked-ish food. I've only had lunch there once, it was good, not great, just good. Their breakfast buffet is pretty darned good, too.

Edit: I'm thinking OP is in or near Madison, for those that aren't familiar, Clifty Inn is in Clifty Falls state park.

I'm a 5 minute drive from Cllifty Inn... honestly never knew there was a restaurant up there.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Also, I've only had it once but I enjoyed Smoking Jack's Rib Shack in Bloomington when I had it. I actually lived next to it for a year on 17th Street. Wasn't until I moved across town when I was still in Bloomington that I made my way there to get some food.

Got some ribs, macaroni and mashed potatoes or something. I recall it was really good.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I'm surprised Kathy's in Morgantown isn't on here. I haven't been there in years, but the last time I was it was darn good.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    There is a place in noblesville called gingers cafe that is like that. They are only open for breakfast and lunch though. They have the best buiscits and gravy around!

If you like Ginger's, you'd love Courtney's Kitchen. Directly north of the courthouse on Logan. Everything there is good and their cajun meatloaf is fantastic. Mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans that are cooked with bacon and onions. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Not in the same vein, but Allie's Cafe in South Bend has some pretty good eats. Especially their breakfast selection.

Rymo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    Whiteland
    Gray Bros is definitely one of my favorites, good meatloaf, fried chicken and their cheesecake is my absolute favorite! Also it's a pretty clean place. It was also on Man vs. Food and it showed their meatloaf and I'm sure you can view the clip online.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know Golden Corral doesn't get favorable support here on INGO...but the one in Bedford has really good food. I've heard people even say that the one in Bedford is much different than the others--I don't know about that as I've never eaten that any other ones. But their pot roast is great. They have stuff like fried okra, homemade potato chips--comfort food. I think their meatloaf is actually pretty decent too.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I know Golden Corral doesn't get favorable support here on INGO...but the one in Bedford has really good food. I've heard people even say that the one in Bedford is much different than the others--I don't know about that as I've never eaten that any other ones. But their pot roast is great. They have stuff like fried okra, homemade potato chips--comfort food. I think their meatloaf is actually pretty decent too.

The one in Warsaw did not impress us much, but the new one in Mishawaka was really good when we went there for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Everything was hot and the place was very clean. Good selection of food...too many things that I wanted to try but couldn't. It is way too easy to overeat there.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I quit the last time I went (years ago) and saw kids dipping their hands in the desert bar, over and over....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The one in Warsaw did not impress us much, but the new one in Mishawaka was really good when we went there for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Everything was hot and the place was very clean. Good selection of food...too many things that I wanted to try but couldn't. It is way too easy to overeat there.

If they have Saturday breakfast buffet, after that, you'll be good for the next couple of days. :D

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Hollyhock Hill (no relation :):). Hollyhock Hill Restaurant In Nora 8110 N College ave.
    The only chain I've seen that comes close is maybe Cracker barrel but nothing comes close to Hollyhock in my mind. I've eaten at Greys also, its good for sure...second place. I've not tried the others mentioned on here.

Top Bottom