• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A guy I knew worked in a gas station, back when we were in high school. According to him, an elderly lady would come in every so often and want the air changed in her tires.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A guy I knew worked in a gas station, back when we were in high school. According to him, an elderly lady would come in every so often and want the air changed in her tires.

Back in another life or so ago I had a buddy that worked in a local shop and he had the same experience. That is where the joke came from around here. Summer air specials.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I need some help as well.... Begginning of the summer I broke the cable on my craftsmen self propel. Took it in and had it serviced while it was there. Sharpened the blades, changed the oil, and air filter and new spark plugs.... Got her home and use it once. three weeks later it wont start. If I spray starter fluid in the air filter she will run as long as I am spraying but dies quickly after. If I disconnect the fuel line to the carb it flows fuel. No fuel pump on this on, nor any inline filters.

any suggestions? I bought a scag off a buddy so I don't really NEED it, but no sense in having a piece of equipment that doesn't work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need some help as well.... Begginning of the summer I broke the cable on my craftsmen self propel. Took it in and had it serviced while it was there. Sharpened the blades, changed the oil, and air filter and new spark plugs.... Got her home and use it once. three weeks later it wont start. If I spray starter fluid in the air filter she will run as long as I am spraying but dies quickly after. If I disconnect the fuel line to the carb it flows fuel. No fuel pump on this on, nor any inline filters.

any suggestions? I bought a scag off a buddy so I don't really NEED it, but no sense in having a piece of equipment that doesn't work.

Crap in the jets in the Carb. Pull it off and clean out the bowl and the jets. Might only be 1 jet, could be 2. Clean and re-assemble. Will most likely run fine.
    Have it off when I come out to look at the plans and I will do this for you. Once you see it done......no worries.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Crap in the jets in the Carb. Pull it off and clean out the bowl and the jets. Might only be 1 jet, could be 2. Clean and re-assemble. Will most likely run fine.
    Have it off when I come out to look at the plans and I will do this for you. Once you see it done......no worries.

Yep. I would add that if it happens again, splice in a cheap paper element fuel filter and be done with it. I have a Craftsman mower that I bought 15 years ago and when it was 4 or 5 years old, every 3rd or 4th mowing, it would not start. It was always something in the jet. I put the fuel filter on and I have been using it for about 10 years without that problem recurring. I've never changed the filter since then.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Yep. I would add that if it happens again, splice in a cheap paper element fuel filter and be done with it. I have a Craftsman mower that I bought 15 years ago and when it was 4 or 5 years old, every 3rd or 4th mowing, it would not start. It was always something in the jet. I put the fuel filter on and I have been using it for about 10 years without that problem recurring. I've never changed the filter since then.

Keep on eye on the paper filters. Sounds like it is working for you. My FIL uses a walker but cuts grass on his Craftsman lawn tractor 3 times a week. Yea beautiful yard. Only a few years old. Sears comes out for its tune up and after that it dies 20 minutes into mowing. Had Sears out 4 times and they can't figure it out. When it dies he is stranded until it sits a while and than it fires up. Sears put on a carb, coil, another plug, new gas cap, can't figure it out. He tells me it's yours, I am buying another one. Nice mower, looks like it could use another coat of wax. First thing he buys another one. I hop on the old one (my yard is much bigger) Get 20 min into it and it dies. I can tell right away it is starving for gas. Hmmm. After a while it starts, I pull it in the garage and replace the paper fuel filter with a brass screen style and not another problem. When the fuel would get about 1/2 tank the paper filter would not pass enough gas to keep it running, with the gravity fed tank.

I told him about it and he said the Sears guy changed the filter and put a paper one on, because he was out of the brass one in his truck. He said it would work the same......

Top Bottom