• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've always dry fired my striker fired guns empty, never gave it a second thought really. I do it fairly often in the house to help my trigger pull, and it's halfway fun. :) But I was at Bass Pro Saturday and saw the snap caps and decided to buy a pack of the 9mm's. Got home and loaded them into a mag, racked the slide, checked to make sure it was a snap cap again(OCD I know) and pressed the trigger. What did I get? Nothing different than dry firing empty. Lol. So does anybody else use them with a striker fired handgun or do you just dry fire on an empty chamber?

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I have some as well, but I was thinking the other day: I'm starting to shoot USPSA/3gun with my pistol, so I'll be continually dry-firing on an empty chamber anyway. Granted it's not as much as practice (or as much as I should anyway) but I do wonder if it's necessary. I'm curious as to others responses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've always dry fired my striker fired guns empty, never gave it a second thought really. I do it fairly often in the house to help my trigger pull, and it's halfway fun. :) But I was at Bass Pro Saturday and saw the snap caps and decided to buy a pack of the 9mm's. Got home and loaded them into a mag, racked the slide, checked to make sure it was a snap cap again(OCD I know) and pressed the trigger. What did I get? Nothing different than dry firing empty. Lol. So does anybody else use them with a striker fired handgun or do you just dry fire on an empty chamber?

I use them to simulate malfunctions. No need to use them for dry practice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've been thinking about getting some for simulating malfunctions but I don't plan on using them for dry fire. I could always throw together a dummy round on my press but I'm not sure I like the idea of dummy rounds and live rounds looking that similar...

Last edited:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I find they're good to help new shooters learn how to load magazines, load/empty the chamber, and useful for myself to practice handling failures/issues.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I use them if I'm dry firing my hammer fired guns. I don't see the point in using them in my striker fired Glock 19, since you have to rack the slide everyone to reset the trigger. That just ejects the dummy rounds.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Lol, this from the company that requires a dry fire to disassemble their pistols. Most competition shooters dry-fire on empty chambers tens of thousands of times with no ill effects.

Yeah I guess I should've also said that I dry fire on an empty chamber on a regular basis. Just wanted to put that link out there in case anyone was curious.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I use snap caps for dry fire, and malfunction drills as well. However, I am a little OCD about it. I eject the mag, clear the chamber, check and double check. I have a 10rd mag that I don't use for carry, that I use for snap caps, and I load the pistol in a separate room from my live ammo, check, double check, then practice.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Good for other drills and I use them in my Basic Pistol classes but really not necessary for dry fire practice.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been thinking about getting some for simulating malfunctions but I don't plan on using them for dry fire. I could always throw together a dummy round on my press but I'm not sure I like the idea of dummy rounds and live rounds looking that similar...

Unless as you use bright red brass or are colorblind, the difference is blatantly obvious.

Top Bottom