• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Defining "Snap Caps"

I used dummy rounds for years. Mostly to release pressure safely on my stored guns and to check cycling and dry firing on my carry guns. I don't care if the gun is striker fire or not.

I did use this type of Snap Craps until they cracked, swelled and broke apart.

Now I use A-Zoom Snap Caps because so far, they are NOT effected by abuse -

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Defining "Snap Caps"

I used dummy rounds for years. Mostly to release pressure safely on my stored guns and to check cycling and dry firing on my carry guns. I don't care if the gun is striker fire or not.

I did use this type of Snap Craps until they cracked, swelled and broke apart.

Now I use A-Zoom Snap Caps because so far, they are NOT effected by abuse -

I also got the A zoom, they seem durable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    for those who say "I just use a spent shell" IMHO That is a bad idea. It sets up bad habits.

At a glance you know its a snap cap beyond a doubt. You see red anodized aluminum. Its a snap cap. If you are using a spent shell, I could see a scenario of press check, you see brass, think a snap cap was the last thing (you remember at least) having in the gun. You pull the trigger and *BANG*. It wasnt a snap cap. God help you if you werent following the 4 rules or somebody was on the other side of that wall.

I say snap cap or nothing. The possibility of mistaking a live shell for a spent shell "snap cap" is not worth the possible bad outcomes. Just pony up the little bit of cash if you insist on not dry firing.

just my two cents...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    These:
    opplanet-tipton-pistol-snap-cap-9-mm-luger-5-pack_zpsbb4170c5.jpg
    look identical to live rounds through the "chamber indicator" window of an M&P. (which is fine with me since, like I said, I only use them during love fire anyway).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I dont like those Chez for JUST that reason.

I like the all red aluminum A Zooms. Not much chance of mistaking them for brass.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I have them in 45ACP and .223, for my 9mm I'll just dry fire while at my desk, though I'll probably pick some up anyhow.

Unsure if it actually matters or helps if you're going to dry fire anyway. But, for example, it allowed me to know that my newly built AR seemingly 'worked' without firing it. Put two in the magazine, chambered a round, 'fired' the weapon and ejected the snapcap manually. Could tell the firing pin hit and was good for a basic function test.

Have a buddy load your magazines at the range. Throw some snap caps into the mix randomly and have fun.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I see no need for them just to dry fire the pistol. I used them for several other things on the range.

A cheaper alternative are the Saf-T-Trainers. Being all plastic, the rims become chewed up by the extractor over time. So they are disposable. However, if you're using them with some frequency at the range, you're likely to lose some now and then anyway. The bright orange color makes them somewhat easier to find, and at $10-12 per 50 count bag, they are a fair bit cheaper than the aluminum kind. ~0.25/rnd

A more durable option is the S.T. Action pro. They are a fair bit more expensive at almost 1.00 per round. They are bright colored, easier to find on the range, and still less costly than the options given above. A-Zoom's/Pachmayer are $10-15 for a 5 or 6 pack, making them almost $2 apiece at the low end. Tiptons with the springs are about the same price as the A-zooms.

I've got some of each laying around here. The cheap plastic ones are the only ones that actually go to the range with me and get any use.

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh
    A-Zooms for dry fire, malfunction, and reload drills. Not sure I NEED them in a P10 but still make it a habit. I also do the double, triple check thing and make sure there are NO live rounds anywhere near I'm training.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I use them if I'm dry firing my hammer fired guns. I don't see the point in using them in my striker fired Glock 19, since you have to rack the slide everyone to reset the trigger. That just ejects the dummy rounds.
    I've found that on the Glock, after 'firing', if you just rack the slide back a bit (say, 1/8" - 1/4", something like that) it resets the trigger while not ejecting the round. At least on the Glocks I have. YMMV, of course.

I use 'em for dry-fire, malfunction and reloading drills (including practicing loading a few single rounds into a partially loaded mag to 'refill'. Who knows, may need that some day), and ball & dummy practice. I also like the A-Zooms for dry-firing the wheel guns, and speedloader practice.

I also use Saf-T-Trainers for Student Instruction. But for mag or speedloader change practice, I find the A-Zooms are preferable as they give basically the same weight to the mag / speedloader as live rounds. And the A-Zooms seem to work great for shotgun 'speed load' practice. IMO, adds just a bit more 'realism', if you will.

I bought 'em for a reason, so I put 'em to use. I have them for every caliber and gauge I own, whether that's a 'carry' piece, or a hunting shotgun. Being able to 'speed load' a double-barrel shotgun can be helpful, since those stupid birds just don't seem to want to 'hover' while I'm fumbling around, LOL.

I figure any tool that helps give just a bit extra 'edge' is worthwhile. Make the 'fumbles and bumbles' during practice (at home, the range, wherever), so ya don't make 'em when it counts. 'Cause it all gets 'very real' when some scumbag is shooting at you.

Top Bottom