• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Been doing a little window shopping, and found a Kimber Ultra Carry ll that I really liked. However it's out of my price range. I have had a Taurus 357 snub nose, but I had so many problems with it I'm not even looking at a Taurus. I've also had a Browning 380 loved that one. But being the good wife I am I gave it to my husband to use as a trade in to get his DPMS. So now I am wanting to know if any of you fine folks have any suggestions. :draw:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Go to a place like Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Suppy and ask to hold a bunch of different ones, go with the one you like the most or narrow it down and find someone on here that has the ones you like that wil let you shoot the ones they have that you like.

Im sure my wife will get her own soon but she does not want to carry a revolver haha so I am not much help there.

If you like the 1911 type stuff chck out the Springfield XD's, the rounds in the mags are double stack but the grips feel really nice in your hands and are not really wide.

They just came out with the 3.8 in 9MM and .40, it's a full frame but the slide is only 3.8 not the 5 inch or whatever.

If they come out with one in 45 chances are I wil get one for at least my wife.

On price they are a lot cheaper then the Kimber's and the .45's have 13 round mags.

Get what you wan't, just saying the XD's are worth holding and looking at. They are also a dream to tear down for cleaning.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Go to a place like Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Suppy and ask to hold a bunch of different ones, go with the one you like the most or narrow it down and find someone on here that has the ones you like that wil let you shoot the ones they have that you like.

Im sure my wife will get her own soon but she does not want to carry a revolver haha so I am not much help there.

If you like the 1911 type stuff chck out the Springfield XD's, the rounds in the mags are double stack but the grips feel really nice in your hands and are not really wide.

They just came out with the 3.8 in 9MM and .40, it's a full frame but the slide is only 3.8 not the 5 inch or whatever.

If they come out with one in 45 chances are I wil get one for at least my wife.

On price they are a lot cheaper then the Kimber's and the .45's have 13 round mags.

Get what you wan't, just saying the XD's are worth holding and looking at. They are also a dream to tear down for cleaning.

+1 for the Xd... I sure like mine.. ALmost too much. I hate to admit it, but they sure feel nicer in my hands than my Glocks. My wife also agrees. She much prefers them over the Glocks or my Berreta 92. Now, just a few weekends ago, she got the chance to shoot a FNP-9 and she loved it ! Maybe ask to handle one of those too and see how it feels to you. Most importantly, just go to a reputable shop. You want good advice and to be treated fairly. Good luck !

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My experience with 1911's that are less than full size has never been good. I've owned a Kimber Ultra CDP, and nothing but problems with it, and years ago I had a Colt Officer's model, and had the feed ramp polished so that it would feed. I now only stick to full size 1911's.:twocents:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My experience with 1911's that are less than full size has never been good. I've owned a Kimber Ultra CDP, and nothing but problems with it, and years ago I had a Colt Officer's model, and had the feed ramp polished so that it would feed. I now only stick to full size 1911's.:twocents:

It might have to do with your girlish wrist.:dunno:

Im just saying.:D

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    If you're looking for a non carry gun, that's dirt cheap check out a High-Point. They're dirt cheap and go bang. They can be a little unconformable as a carry gun because of their size though, unless you plan to OC.

*Dodges rotten vegetables*

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    +1 on going to a GOOD shop and handling LOTS of them...I personally like my Bersa 380 other then the $$ and availability locally of ammo....but it's not bad to shoot and it's small enough for me to have a decent chance at CC.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks for all the info...Bradis is where I found the Kimber, so I'm thinking I'll have to make another trip out there and see what else they have. I'll look into the XD for sure. I'm wanting something for a carry gun. I have a good 8-10 weeks to shop as I am waiting on my LTCH to come through...Thanks!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like with your previous experience with different handguns, you are well on your way to choosing at least the caliber which sometime is half the issue. After that is the fun part. Handing all of them and finding whats right. Have fun with it and good luck !

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you like the 1911 platform, and can't afford a purty gun like a Kimber, don't discount the Rock Island guns. They have an Officer sized model that should make a good carry gun. Our experience with the Rocks was excellent, though ours were the full sized models. They were very accurate, dependable, solid guns. Not all fancified like the more expensive guns, but worked like a dream.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Don't let anyone steer you away from a weapon (semi auto) because you are a female. I've had that happen to me more than once. You've got the right idea, hold a bunch until you got an idea what you like. If it is a semi auto :), rack the slide a few times. I found one that I really liked but had difficulty racking the slide. I chose another weapon. There are a few places that you can rent those weapons and shoot them to see if it is something that you really like. Have fun!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    I made the mistake of not racking the slide on the Browning I had, had a hard time with it. The Kimber was easy but like I said out of my price range. I think the hubby wants me to get a Glock but I'm not so sure about that. I have fired his a few dozen times but it's just not a good fit for me. I am determined to find the one that fits me though. I'll just have to keep looking and hold a bunch to see what I like...

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I made the mistake of not racking the slide on the Browning I had, had a hard time with it. The Kimber was easy but like I said out of my price range. I think the hubby wants me to get a Glock but I'm not so sure about that. I have fired his a few dozen times but it's just not a good fit for me. I am determined to find the one that fits me though. I'll just have to keep looking and hold a bunch to see what I like...

I told my wife she could get whatever she want's. I just want her to have something that is at least a 9MM.

Id she likes GLOCKS then she can get one, if it is an XD then ok, if it is a Sig then ok.

My XD was pretty tight to drop mag's and to rack a round but after I racked it multiple times and droped mags out of it multiple times it freed up so if a gun feel's a little tight/hard to rack or drop mag's out chances are it will free up a little with some use.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    So, we went to Bradis today and after "playing" with a few toys I picked the one I wanted. It's a Glock 36! Had to put it in lay-a-way :xmad: but hey I'll get it soon enough.:rockwoot:Needless to say I'm flippin cheesin! Thanks to Kenny at Bradis for being so helpful and patient!:draw:

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    You are welcome

You are more than welcome. Glad you are happy with your decision. It was kinda fun watching you almost make the hubby cry when you asked to see an XD

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So, we went to Bradis today and after "playing" with a few toys I picked the one I wanted. It's a Glock 36! Had to put it in lay-a-way :xmad: but hey I'll get it soon enough.:rockwoot:Needless to say I'm flippin cheesin! Thanks to Kenny at Bradis for being so helpful and patient!:draw:
    That is what anyone should do, go "play with a few toys" and find whats right for you... Glad you got what YOU wanted...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Been doing a little window shopping, and found a Kimber Ultra Carry ll that I really liked. However it's out of my price range. I have had a Taurus 357 snub nose, but I had so many problems with it I'm not even looking at a Taurus. I've also had a Browning 380 loved that one. But being the good wife I am I gave it to my husband to use as a trade in to get his DPMS. So now I am wanting to know if any of you fine folks have any suggestions. :draw:

If you liked that Browning, look at a Smith and Wesson 3913, I've got a Browning BDA in nickle, 380 and a 3913. The Browning is a super slick, very nice gun to shoot. The 3913 is similar only thinner and 9mm.

Top Bottom