• ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    BushmasterAR-15s.jpg

These are my 5 Bushmasters. All of them run beautifully. I think Bushmaster makes one of the best AR-15 rifles out there. The one closest to what you are considering is the one second from the right. It is a heavy barreled M-4 with a non detachable carry handle and A-1 sights. It is a very simple, rugged carbine. It does not have the cut out for the grenade launcher, and has the older style tear drop forward assist button. By the way, that is an excellent price on that rifle. Good shooting if you decide to choose it, I'm sure you'll be happy. Bill T.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Bushmasters

Thanks for the advice...do you find these to be reliable? Reliability is my main thing with a firearm with accuracy being close second. Will I be able to put an optic on this as this seems impossible with the upper...the nice thing about this one is that I will be good to go out of the box with no optic needed...good price and starting point in a good brand but I do not know a lot about these so it is quite overwhelming
    BushmasterAR-15s.jpg

These are my 5 Bushmasters. All of them run beautifully. I think Bushmaster makes one of the best AR-15 rifles out there. The one closest to what you are considering is the one second from the right. It is a heavy barreled M-4 with a non detachable carry handle and A-1 sights. It is a very simple, rugged carbine. It does not have the cut out for the grenade launcher, and has the older style tear drop forward assist button. By the way, that is an excellent price on that rifle. Good shooting if you decide to choose it, I'm sure you'll be happy. Bill T.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    handle

Is that because you cant put on an optic...This doesnt bother me too much because I was just gonna get one of the minis but the price on a bushmaster is calling my name....do you think this is a good starting point for an AR? Are there any other drawbacks that you see
    Nice price, but the fixed carry handle would kill it for me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are there any other drawbacks that you see

While the 14.5" barrel is nice because it does indeed make a carbine a bit "handier", the permanently attached flash hider could cause issues in the future. For example, you won't be able to ever remove the FSB, because it won't fit over the flash hider. This also mans that if you decide to ever go to a rail system, your options will be more limited.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    handle

So...if I do not like the upper I can switch it out (i think) and it may cost me less than the upgrade now. I am not a big scope guy anyway and the only thing I dont like about this rifle is the foregrip...would get picatinny rails for a light
    I never had a single hiccup from my Bushmaster Patrolman's M4, which was my first AR.

I chronicled the project here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/28436-my_bushmaster_m4_build-in-progress.html

It's possible, but very awkward and not ideal. A flat-top upper is so much more versatile.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Pros
    adjuststable stock
    Bushmaster
    like the handle
    like the extras in this package
    like the short barrel

Cons
    cant practically install an optic

could this easily be converted to a 6.8 if I wanted to hunt with it (in Virginia)

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Thanks for the advice...do you find these to be reliable? Reliability is my main thing with a firearm with accuracy being close second. Will I be able to put an optic on this as this seems impossible with the upper...the nice thing about this one is that I will be good to go out of the box with no optic needed...good price and starting point in a good brand but I do not know a lot about these so it is quite overwhelming

All of my Bushmaster rifles are extremely reliable. I have never had one fail in thousands of rounds. That said, I clean and lubricate my rifles every time I shoot them. I think that increases the reliability of any AR-15 far more than brand name.

There is nothing wrong with a fixed carry handle on a AR-15 rifle. You can still mount most any optic you wish on it by way of the many carry handle mounts that are avaliable from all of the different manufacturers. check out Bravo Company or Brownells. Both sell very high quality AR-15 accessories. Another good place is Larue Tactical. The rifle you are considering is a good, solid, basic rifle that will suit you well, and give you years of dependable service. You will surprise yourself how well you can shoot with iron sights on a AR-15. Bill T.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So...if I do not like the upper I can switch it out (i think) and it may cost me less than the upgrade now.

Swapping out to a stripped flat-top upper will run you about another $100, plus the hassle of swapping over all the parts (or paying someone to do it).

At that point you're looking at $763+. For that kinda money, I'd spend another $37 and go with a fully milspec Spike's M4.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I agree bill--I like Iron sights but I have never shot an AR style rifle in my life so these are a bit overwhelming for me. This price is calling my name...Local Gun shops have told me to stay away from some olympic and dpms..(apologies to anyone who has a great rifle by these manufacturers) .that seems to be commonly received advice and the bushmaster brand seems to have a good reputation...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cons
    cant practically install an optic

Here are some options available for mounting an optic to a fixed carry handle. The main problem is that they place the optic too high, which makes a good cheek weld difficult.

images

images

images

images

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    price

Good point...Buds has free shipping and no tax online so my price will include $10 insurance and $15 transfer fee to Beech Grove Firearms....I would love to learn how to work on these anyway and am not concerned about the learning curve...i will check out the M4 like you say...
    Swapping out to a stripped flat-top upper will run you about another $100, plus the hassle of swapping over all the parts (or paying someone to do it).

At that point you're looking at $763+. For that kinda money, I'd spend another $37 and go with a fully milspec Spike's M4.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    This. I just bought a flat top upper and am going to throw a carry handle on it. I just like to have my options open.

Just to add to this. I have tried a couple of different optics and actually prefer iron sights. But, if I were going to sell it or more likely, a new optic comes out that I want to try, or you just never know. I would shop around and try and find a decent price on an A3.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I kind of like the handle. I do not like the idea of mounting a scope/optic to the handle because they look too high....I probably would just get this one the way it is and change later. I would prefer a flat top but do not want to spend money on the optic right now. Ideal would be a red dot scope on an M4 rifle but everything I look at says $900...I was just going to get a mini 14 with open sights but this seems like a much better option. it is within 10 bucks of the price of the mini...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

but then you sell your old upper and re-coup some of that $100. ;)

I think the price that buds has is a steal!!! if you can buy a bushy for that I recomend you snap it up now, because I dont think you will ever see that low of a price again. buying online and having it sent to a local FFL is the ONLY way to go anymore in my opinion. unless the locals are gonna price match. but most cant because some of those prices are below what they can even get stuff for. so its not their fault

I personaly like the original uppers on the AR. Its the way it was designed to be. so easy to shoot. you would be suprised at all the tactical ninjas who cant shoot without their aimpoint or eotechs, lol. IRON SIGHTS FIRST PEOPLE!!!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am seriously thinking about getting this rifle....it seems like a good price and the Bushys have a good rep

Any advice?

No advice, but if you want to see/handle one in person, stop by the shop. We just got a couple in today, and our price would be very competitive with Bud's, by the time you factor in your local FFL's receiving fee.

Top Bottom