• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I kind of like the handle. I do not like the idea of mounting a scope/optic to the handle because they look too high....I probably would just get this one the way it is and change later. I would prefer a flat top but do not want to spend money on the optic right now. Ideal would be a red dot scope on an M4 rifle but everything I look at says $900...I was just going to get a mini 14 with open sights but this seems like a much better option. it is within 10 bucks of the price of the mini...

You'd have to try it and see if it actually was too high. It depends a lot on the mount you get and the scope. I had a Colt 4x scope with mount on an A2 upper and loved it. The scope was small, so the center of the eyepiece was surprisingly close to the aperture of the iron sight.

I wish I'd never sold that setup years ago!!

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    what sights are you talking about? curious ...

Trijicon manufactures night sights. They have small, miniature gas cylinders in them that are filled with Radioactive Tritium Gas. This makes the sights "glow in the dark". The Tritium Gas has a half life of around 10 to 12 years. This means in 10 years the sights will be only half as bright.

These are different than the luminescent watch dials you see on a $20.00 Timex watch that have to absorb light from an outside source. The Radioactivity in the Tritium Gas produces it's own light. While they are nice, they really aren't necessary on a AR-15 unless it is going to be your primary home defense weapon. I have Trijicon Night Sights on a few of my Glock's, and they came standard on my Springfield Armory SOCOM 16. I don't think I would add them to a weapon. Depending on where you buy them they can be expensive. Bill T.

Trijicon Night Sight Set AR-15 Steel Blue Tritium - MidwayUSA

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    One thing to remember if you do decide to invest in night sights. Trijicon dates their sights. For example on both the front post, and the rear aperture they will have a number like "08". This means the sights were manufactured in 2008.

Sometimes unscrupulous dealers, especially at gun shows, will remove these dates with Acetone. Then, you have no way of knowing when the sights were made. You could very easily wind up paying too much for old sights. These sights have a useful life of around 10 years or less before they become too dim. A good rule of thumb is if you don't see a date, don't buy. On a used handgun or rifle equipped with these sights, this can be a good bargaining tool in negotiating the price down somewhat if the sights are older, and coming up on replacement. They can cost over $100.00 to be replaced, depending what is involved. Bill T.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    sights and gun shows

I have been ripped off 3 times at gun shows so I tend to stay away from them.
    One thing to remember if you do decide to invest in night sights. Trijicon dates their sights. For example on both the front post, and the rear aperture they will have a number like "08". This means the sights were manufactured in 2008.

Sometimes unscrupulous dealers, especially at gun shows, will remove these dates with Acetone. Then, you have no way of knowing when the sights were made. You could very easily wind up paying too much for old sights. These sights have a useful life of around 10 years or less before they become too dim. A good rule of thumb is if you don't see a date, don't buy. On a used handgun or rifle equipped with these sights, this can be a good bargaining tool in negotiating the price down somewhat if the sights are older, and coming up on replacement. They can cost over $100.00 to be replaced, depending what is involved. Bill T.

Top Bottom