If only I had one of those....

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Someone was kind enough to hit my mailbox. It didn't damage the box as it is covered by a 3/16" of steel, but it did spin it around a little over 90 degrees so it doesn't face the road anymore. I've tried to turn it back, but no luck. Looks like I'm going to have to pull it up and re-sink it.

Now I am a lazy man at heart and believe in maximum results with minimal effort. Anyone have any tips on pulling that post out of the ground? I'm at a complete loss. I'm pretty sure that my initial thought of hooking my truck up to it and pulling it out will result in major lawn damage, which I would like to avoid. Goes back to that "lazy" part. LOL

As I resemble your self analysis, my suggestion would be to hire it out. ;)

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    It's not a helpful reply to your need, but years ago I saw a solution to damaged boxes/posts: mid-way high, cut the post through at a 45 angle and insert a rod of your choosing into both halves, making a pivot point. Then, when it gets hit, it'll spin/pivot, and will come back to how it started.

If only I'd do that to my HOA-approved mailbox post, so I could practice what I preach...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got any logs around? Place the log beside the pole, wrap chain around bottom of pole and put over log. Hook to truck and pull. The log will change the pulling direction to up.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Cut off post, dig new hole 12" to the west. Go west young man, even if it's only one foot at a time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    3" metal pipe.

If you were closer I have a 4' pipe wrench and a cheater pipe. Back truck up. Lay out come along off the hitch insert. Get a serious purchase on the 3" pipe and use the come along to pull it around. This will work. If you have none of these tools etc. refer to Alpo's bourbon by the fire suggestion.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Why had nobody mentioned a torch yet? Heat it up and the push it where you want it.
    Cause smoke wrenches are for hillbillies, and we pretend to be be classier than that. It's the ****ing internet, think plasma cutter, or a Case D10. Go big or stay home. :cool:

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    Get a truck rim and place it right upright against the post. Place a chain over the rim and hook to the bottom of the post. Get your vehicle out in the road and pull the chain. The chain will pull up on the post as well as away from the rim and the post will come out of the ground. This works on shrubs too.

Top Bottom