• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Get a truck rim and place it right upright against the post. Place a chain over the rim and hook to the bottom of the post. Get your vehicle out in the road and pull the chain. The chain will pull up on the post as well as away from the rim and the post will come out of the ground. This works on shrubs too.
    Hmmmm....if only I could get my truck to drive on three wheels...

Seriously though, great suggestion, just not feasible for me. Wonder if I have something else that would work instead of the wheel. Gonna have to look.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hmmmm....if only I could get my truck to drive on three wheels...

Seriously though, great suggestion, just not feasible for me. Wonder if I have something else that would work instead of the wheel. Gonna have to look.

We went with something similar but instead of a truck rim we used a 6' long 4x4. We pulled about 20 8" wooden posts out of the ground a few years ago this way. You'll need a helper, throw several wraps of chain around the post at ground level, have your helper hold the chain over the top of the post which is used as your fulcrum. The 4x4 should be about 6' from the post angling towards the post at about a 30-45 degree angle, chain from around the post up over the 4x4 and to your truck, you'll need about 20' of chain to do this. It won't work if the ground is soft and you'll need to exercise caution as your helper will have to steady the 4x4 so it doesn't lay over to one side or the other but it works quite well.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Shubery

Get a truck rim and place it right upright against the post. Place a chain over the rim and hook to the bottom of the post. Get your vehicle out in the road and pull the chain. The chain will pull up on the post as well as away from the rim and the post will come out of the ground. This works on shrubs too.

SHUBERY!!!—or use a herring:rolleyes:-anyone...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We went with something similar but instead of a truck rim we used a 6' long 4x4. We pulled about 20 8" wooden posts out of the ground a few years ago this way. You'll need a helper, throw several wraps of chain around the post at ground level, have your helper hold the chain over the top of the post which is used as your fulcrum. The 4x4 should be about 6' from the post angling towards the post at about a 30-45 degree angle, chain from around the post up over the 4x4 and to your truck, you'll need about 20' of chain to do this. It won't work if the ground is soft and you'll need to exercise caution as your helper will have to steady the 4x4 so it doesn't lay over to one side or the other but it works quite well.

Build a small A-frame from 4x4s and the helper has a much easier job. Won't fall left or right.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    If I can wait until the ground hardens, this might be my method. Thanks murphy!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

I saw a video using this method only they use the rim with a tire mounted and inflated. Probably easy find with a Google search. Good luck !

A lot depends on whether cement was used to set the post. If so, pulling the post becomes a lot more difficult.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I saw a video using this method only they use the rim with a tire mounted and inflated. Probably easy find with a Google search. Good luck !

A lot depends on whether cement was used to set the post. If so, pulling the post becomes a lot more difficult.
    I have no idea if it is cemented in. I inherited it with the house. I'm praying it isn't, but given the fact the original person thought enough to put a 3/16" steel shroud around the box, it is a good possibility they cemented it.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I kinda remember my late father using a tool that was specially designed for such a project.I seen it when I was a very small child.I saw it in use once,but my father always did the work of two men.I assume it takes two men who both held a wooden handle each,and at the same time,jab the ground,and pull away from each other,lift at the same time,drop dirt to side,and repeat.I kind of remember it but it was along time ago,

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I kinda remember my late father using a tool that was specially designed for such a project.I seen it when I was a very small child.I saw it in use once,but my father always did the work of two men.I assume it takes two men who both held a wooden handle each,and at the same time,jab the ground,and pull away from each other,lift at the same time,drop dirt to side,and repeat.I kind of remember it but it was along time ago,

This method requires a P.H.D.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Believe it or not, i have such a tool. 'Twas indeed, designed for one man to use and , as we have 2 hands , it has 2 handles. It is preferred by old men and Luddites such as myself. It is a fair amount more work than most keyboard commanders are capable of. Particularly on dry days in the summer.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Dude.

You're in Russiaville.

Call the local-est farmer, introduce yourself, and ask what it would require for them to bring a 40-400 hp tractor down there and pull it out. It takes longer to hook the chain to the post than it does pull it out.

-Nate

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Make a lever with a couple blocks, 4x4, and wrap a chain around the post.

This is my recommendation^^^, but I would add to set the lever up for you to push down on it. This will save your back and you can also stand on it that way. I used to pull fence posts this way until I rigged up a puller on my 3 point hitch on the tractor. Hydraulics are a wonderful thing!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    30' snatch strap
    wrap it around the base
    back your truck up to the post
    hook up snatch strap
    put it in low and floor it