• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    [/LIST]
    You can only wear shorts to a Winterseed if you have the manly physique that Rhino has. ;)

1. You are correct.

2. You are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual, with an excellent ability to recognize the epitome of masculine pulchritude.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    HOX5FJ7l.jpg

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    OP-Don't ever think it. Bring warm clothes. Bring a rifle with simple systems. Bring ammo. Bring a good attitude.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    1. You are correct.

2. You are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual, with an excellent ability to recognize the epitome of masculine pulchritude.

Dang it Rhino! I had to look three words up in that sentence to decide whether it was a compliment or an insult.

OP-Don't ever think it. Bring warm clothes. Bring a rifle with simple systems. Bring ammo. Bring a good attitude.

Original Poster, Listen to what ol'Huff says. A bunch of us are goofing around in your thread, and that's what is great about Appleseed. You will meet people who will become buddies that you can horse around with. In all seriousness though. Dress in layers for the weather. Don't wear shorts to a winterseed. Have some well placed hand warmers if it's really cold and if possible bring something warm to eat at noon. Keep your hands and feet dry and keep your head covered and you'll be good to go.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    One thing I forgot to mention in my first response to the OP is that if things get really nasty you can put on Carharts (did I spell that right?) or whatever you wear for snowboarding or snowmobiling if you do either of those.

One of the things that has already been mentioned is that you will have to deal with the extra bulk so be mindful of that. Something that may not have been mentioned yet is that the more layers you have on the more the buttstock will tend to slip in your shoulder pocket. If each layer moves just a little then several layers means a lot of movement. Just be prepared for it and prepared to deal with it. Life is full of compromises and in this case you have give up a little convenience for the sake of not freezing.

C ya,

brian

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Hmmm..... just looked at the Appleseed calendar because I was anxious to see what will be in Cville this year. Then I saw January on the schedule and wondered how anxious I really am....

I've got the gear I guess, after years of various running, skiing, hunting etc in the winter but something about laying down in the snow and only exercising my finger just makes me feel cold all over.

Somebody tell me that an Appleseed in January is going to be fun. I do need the practice, so there's that.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Hmmm..... just looked at the Appleseed calendar because I was anxious to see what will be in Cville this year. Then I saw January on the schedule and wondered how anxious I really am....

I've got the gear I guess, after years of various running, skiing, hunting etc in the winter but something about laying down in the snow and only exercising my finger just makes me feel cold all over.

Somebody tell me that an Appleseed in January is going to be fun. I do need the practice, so there's that.

It is so totally worth it. A winter Appleseed is like no other. You will never regret it. Afterwards you will be amazed how good you feel about yourself for having endured the cold to prove to yourself that you have the medal to do this. You've got to give it a try, take my word for it. I have my Winterseed patch. It was snowing and sleeting the day I shot mine. Windy too. Loved every minute of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It will fun as long as you wear shorts!

I prefer the cold weather for shooting, especially for activities where you don't have to fish under your clothes to draw your pistol or a magazine from your belt. There is less sweating when it's 7 deg F.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Indeed, ATM, crazy like a honey badger! :cool:

Who's coming out for an epic winter shoot? We've got shoots scheduled at Crawfordsville JAN 24-25 and then at Bedford FEB 7-8.

For more info or to sign up, click here for the current Indiana event schedule.

winterseed_patch_3523.jpg

I may make the Cville event. I work most Saturday mornings but now that I've been to my first one I think perhaps I can start mid-afternoon without disrupting the flow.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Woo hoo ... this is beginning to sound like a Winterseed party at Crawfordsville!

Any other brave soles willing to test their rifle skills on the frozen tundra that is Crawfordsville in January?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Woo hoo ... this is beginning to sound like a Winterseed party at Crawfordsville!

Any other brave soles willing to test their rifle skills on the frozen tundra that is Crawfordsville in January?

I should perhaps admit that I plan to retreat into my vehicle or the clubhouse frequently depending on temps.

Afterwards you will be amazed how good you feel about yourself for having endured the cold to prove to yourself that you have the medal to do this.
    Nope, probably not ;) I've endured a few other things to prove myself and now I've decided it's OK to say when I just don't wanna.

But I will hang in there as long as I'm having fun and/or learning. When the cold starts to cause frustration to overcome both of those, I'm hiding away with my hot chocolate.

Maybe I'll get out my giant thermos and I'll bring some for everybody :)

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Dang always hate to miss a shoot in Nashville!

And Rhino I remember that shoot as well, and the Chinese food and how nice, sunny and warm it was after we broke everything down.

HH
    Checking in from Teton Valley, Idaho where it's currently -7* F on a beautiful, cloudless moonlit evening

Top Bottom