• ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I need some tips and pointers.

I grew up with a decent set of carpentry skills from helping my grandpa renovate houses and since college I have moved off to the city for work. Here recently I've had the itch to get back into some sort of woodworking. I don't have the ability to go and renovate houses or anything like that but I think I want to get into furniture building.

I've ordered 100 bucks worth of books on amazon from basic craftsmanship to joints to projects. And I've got the basic sets of tools; drills, circular saw, jig saw, and what not. I've got a few tools in mind that I think I want/need but any input would help. I know I need a good set of chivels, a pull saw, a flush saw, a coping saw, #4 and #8 hand planes, router plane, shoulder plane, and a combo square. As for power tools I think I just need a hand router at this point.

Like I saw I'm new to this and am still working at getting into this. I have a small one car garage to work in so I can't take on any large projects but think I can handle some boxes and some end tables at some point.

So basically is there anything you know now that you wish you would have known when you got started?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen some good work come out of garages. Couldn't nail two boards together straight myself, the finishing was my game.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Basically from everything I read, I've learned to read and read some more. Basically you just gotta start and get better as you go.

A lathe is on my list of items to get along with a planer and jointer but I'm thinking those are gonna have to wait sadly.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I make log furniture as a hobby. I have made thousands selling my wares in the past, and traded for two fishing trips to lodges in Canada. My advice would be, don't buy cheap tools (Cummins and Chicago are two names that come to mind) that will just frustrate you or get you hurt. I have been successful at finding great heavy-duty tools at estate auctions. Since I know how much they go for new, I'm not afraid of bidding and have gotten remarkable deals. If you sort through stuff at yard sales, you can often find quality USA-made hand tools for pennies on the dollar.
    So, I do have to laugh when someone tells me that they could save money and make a bed just like I made. I say you're right, if you want to pay $200 on a quality 1/2" right-angle drill, $400 on two tenon cutters, and $150 on a tenon countersink bit. And don't forget the LPHV sprayer.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Books are great, but I might also suggest you tube. Places like Rockler and Woodcraft and some big box stores do demos on various tools and techniques. usually a hour or two and on Saturdays. Tools get expensive very quick. I have nearly $2,000 in tools just so I can make pens that I usually give away. Another issue with woodworking, is you never seem to have time to build anything for yourself. But you never run out of projects that every one and their brother want built, and built at the cost of materials only.

If you ever get serious about a planer, give me a pm. I have a brand new one in box that I never got to use.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    First, you need to decide what you want to make to start with. Getting random tools will do nothing more than tie up money and you won't be able to finish any project.
    A lathe is a dedicated piece of equipment. Many things can be made on a lathe, however, it will require other tools to accompany it, such as some sort of saw to cut material to size.
    Pens are one thing that can be made on a lathe, and it doesn't take $2,000 to make pens. Bowls, hollow vessels, platters, and spindles to name a few, are other items that can be made on a lathe.

If you want to make boxes, a good table saw will make most styles of boxes. If you want to add dovetails, that requires a dovetail jig or a lot of time invested in doing them by hand. That takes practice to acquire accuracy and tight joints. A lock joint is pretty simple with a router table or table saw.

For cutting curves or re-sawing, a band saw is best suited. Band saw boxes are made with one of these saws.

For furniture and cabinets, you will want to add a mortising machine to make mortise and tenons easier and accurate. Although, a router can be used, but takes more time and accurate set-up.

Scroll saws are used primarily for fretwork, marquetry, and small projects.

A drill press isn't necessary, but is useful for several things including drilling, sanding, and even pressing pens together.

A belt or disk sander proves useful also.

A planer and jointer are used for two different purposes. Neither are a requirement, but more a luxury. Especially if you start with rough sawn lumber.

Compound miter saws are useful to reduce the length, but have limits based on the size. A radial arm saw will also reduce the length, but to a larger width. It can also be used to rip material the same as a table saw and molding heads are available to make trim and molding or accents for beads and the like.

I've been woodworking for the better part of my life and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. There isn't much I haven't made or a tool I don't own. Most tools, I have at least two of.
    I've done my share of remodels and have completely finished concrete basements in new built houses. I did everything from the studs, elec, insulating, vapor barrier, drywall, flooring, and all finish work including drop ceilings, trim, doors, lights, and paint. They were complete and ready for furniture.

If you were closer, I'd enjoy getting together and talking shop with you.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Books are great, but I might also suggest you tube. Places like Rockler and Woodcraft and some big box stores do demos on various tools and techniques. usually a hour or two and on Saturdays. Tools get expensive very quick. I have nearly $2,000 in tools just so I can make pens that I usually give away. Another issue with woodworking, is you never seem to have time to build anything for yourself. But you never run out of projects that every one and their brother want built, and built at the cost of materials only.

If you ever get serious about a planer, give me a pm. I have a brand new one in box that I never got to use.

I'd like to see the pens you make.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A router table and a table saw will let you do a lot more than you would believe possible. Buying dressed hardwood is gonna get pretty spicy pretty quickly. Some soft wood (poplar works pretty easily and can be pretty) and some time with a sharp plane and practicing with the chisels will be time we'll spent. And give you a reason to practice sharpening your tools. Different grades of wet/dry sandpaper stuck to a piece of tempered glass like an old coffee table top makes for an inexpensive sharpening station.
    If you intend to dress your own rough sawn lumber a planer and a jointer are necessities.

A good quality respirator is a good idea too. Walnut, cedar, and oak can all cause allergic reactions.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have 2 lathes, a band saw, drill press, a chop saw and a scroll saw. I don't have room or money for a table saw, so I use my dad's.

I make a lot of pens, bowls, segmented bowls, clocks and stools. I also have a lot of money invested in tools, and the equipment to sharpen my tools.

Woodworking is expensive to get into, and expensive to do. And you never get your money back, even if you're lucky enough to sell your work. Not to mention the time involved.

But it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    I have 2 lathes, a band saw, drill press, a chop saw and a scroll saw. I don't have room or money for a table saw, so I use my dad's.

I make a lot of pens, bowls, segmented bowls, clocks and stools. I also have a lot of money invested in tools, and the equipment to sharpen my tools.

Woodworking is expensive to get into, and expensive to do. And you never get your money back, even if you're lucky enough to sell your work. Not to mention the time involved.

But it's a heck of a lot of fun.

That's not necessarily true. All of my equipment has been paid for by using it, except one machine. It will eventually pay for itself, but I only purchased it for fun and to learn something new.
    Yes, it was expensive, but has been well worth the investment. I feel it paid for itself with my first project, however, the Mrs. will disagree.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    I was surprised to not see a table saw in your list. When my old Craftsman bit the dust a couple of years ago, I replaced it with a Bosch. I like that the table expands to rip wider boards and sheets of plywood, and I like that the stand collapses & can roll it around, making it easy to store in a small footprint in a corner of the garage.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Bosch-Table-Saw-01.jpg

It wasn't dirt cheap (about $600), but it wasn't stupid expensive, either.

It made a nice addition to my other tools (radial arm saw, power miter saw, router & router table, drill press, various sanders, chisels, planes, etc., etc.).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's not necessarily true. All of my equipment has been paid for by using it, except one machine. It will eventually pay for itself, but I only purchased it for fun and to learn something new.
    Yes, it was expensive, but has been well worth the investment. I feel it paid for itself with my first project, however, the Mrs. will disagree.

I should reword my post better. I sold all my wood projects, bowls and pens, to finance my adoption process. That was very successful, and I was VERY lucky.

My father wasn't as lucky. He had a hard time selling his items, and just gave his projects away as gifts. I think it depends on each person, and what the item is.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close

Maybe, maybe not. If you buy an old house like I did (built 100+ years ago) and have the occasion to fix up a room every now & then, you can cut & mill your own trim and do your own remodeling & make your own blanket chests & night stands & stuff like that ... the tools eventually do pay off.

Make a few of your other "wanted" items (built-in cabinets & shelves, tool boxes, swing sets, etc.) or a plywood based truck box or plywood camp kitchen or whatever, and suddenly you're ahead of the game. My wife found this camp kitchen to be very handy when we went camping in the Smoky Mountains last fall.

WP_20161025_044.jpg

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    I don't make pens much anymore. When I was making them, I cast my own blanks and I still have close to 6,000 of them boxed up.
    I have pens and blanks all over the world. Japan is one of the places I sent some pens to. It's hard to believe, since there are some great pen artisans in Japan.
    I hope continued success for your pens.

Yes, it does depend on what you're making and the target audience. Making large projects, i.e. cabinets and arbors, wishing wells, and thousands of birdhouses helped pay for my equipment.
    Of coarse, it happened over years and not over night.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't make pens much anymore. When I was making them, I cast my own blanks and I still have close to 6,000 of them boxed up.
    I have pens and blanks all over the world. Japan is one of the places I sent some pens to. It's hard to believe, since there are some great pen artisans in Japan.
    I hope continued success for your pens.

Yes, it does depend on what you're making and the target audience. Making large projects, i.e. cabinets and arbors, wishing wells, and thousands of birdhouses helped pay for my equipment.
    Of coarse, it happened over years and not over night.

I have never gotten into casting my own blanks. Shoot, just using CA glue makes me really sick. I have to use a fancy respirator every time.

I'm wanting to slow down on the pen making. I miss doing segmented bowls, and I'm anxious to get more involved with the scroll saw. I'd like to give Intarsia a try. My dad was into it for a long time. He got quite good at it.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    I have never gotten into casting my own blanks. Shoot, just using CA glue makes me really sick. I have to use a fancy respirator every time.

I'm wanting to slow down on the pen making. I miss doing segmented bowls, and I'm anxious to get more involved with the scroll saw. I'd like to give Intarsia a try. My dad was into it for a long time. He got quite good at it.

Try epoxy. CA is brittle and a lot of people build an intolerance to it. The epoxy is flexible and can be tinted to compliment or contrast the blank.

I've done plenty of intarsia. It's time consuming, but satisfying. When it's done properly, it can look like a 3D carving. My first intarsia was a panda face and the wife still has it hanging on the wall.
    I've done thousands of scrolled pieces and made most of my own patterns. I used to do portraits of peoples family members, including the members with four paws.
    I discovered the process from a guy named Gary Browning if I remember correctly. He used to have a website that people could share patterns and ideas.

Top Bottom