• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Man this thread has exploded more then I thought it would! I appreciate all the helpful tips.

I made pens in highschool shop class and I'm wanting to avoid that, it wasn't really my thing. I think I want to lean more to boxes, book shelves, and tables.

A table saw is on my want list but it seems to be the more pricey item on my list. I'm also on limited space due to not being in a house yet. I'm hoping with the next year my wife and I will buy getting a house.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Man this thread has exploded more then I thought it would! I appreciate all the helpful tips.

I made pens in highschool shop class and I'm wanting to avoid that, it wasn't really my thing. I think I want to lean more to boxes, book shelves, and tables.

A table saw is on my want list but it seems to be the more pricey item on my list. I'm also on limited space due to not being in a house yet. I'm hoping with the next year my wife and I will buy getting a house.

Bowls, clocks and furniture is where it's at!

1BB8569B-AC54-4916-BF28-A62820FAA692_zpscu5gaevk.jpg

19031690-B9EB-4496-9DF1-AF505F9BB36B_zpsohn7v4dn.jpg

CA226AD3-0EEC-4104-9344-87AF34E885DC_zps5ycbvykv.jpg

AC2B08FD-4610-41A6-9BAC-357F36C3BCF2_zpswysbq3wb.jpg

image_zpsddgumf41.jpg

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Pens are one thing that can be made on a lathe, and it doesn't take $2,000 to make pens. Bowls, hollow vessels, platters, and spindles to name a few, are other items that can be made on a lathe.

[/QUOTE]
    You are correct that it DOES NOT TAKE $2000, to make a pen. I said I have that in tools I got for my pen turning hobby.
    I have a
    MT1 lathe for finishing,
    MT2 lathe for wood turning,
    7 x 10 mini precision lathe for metal, with a QCTP
    various chucks, back plates and mandrels for the lathes
    10 in chop saw,
    grinder with the wolverine grinding attachments
    drill press, a sander, a tumbler, band saw. soldering iron
    IIRC- 16 different turning tools of various shapes and styles.
    1/2 and 3/8 tools for the mini lathe also cut off tools
    set of center drills, and HSS drill bits
    specific drill bits for different sizes of pens, and bushings sets for each style of pen
    basic hand tools,like hex keys, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, bench vise
    precision hand miter saw, pen press, drilling jig,

The above covers most of what I have. But that does not even consider consumables like cleaning supplies, finishing supplies, sanding supplies, tumbler media, super glue, epoxy, solder or paint.

This is just to show how a simple thing like turning a basic pen can morph into a full blown addiction, and the $2000 price previously mentioned is actually low. But YMMV.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    You are correct that it DOES NOT TAKE $2000, to make a pen. I said I have that in tools I got for my pen turning hobby.
    I have a
    MT1 lathe for finishing,
    MT2 lathe for wood turning,
    7 x 10 mini precision lathe for metal, with a QCTP
    various chucks, back plates and mandrels for the lathes
    10 in chop saw,
    grinder with the wolverine grinding attachments
    drill press, a sander, a tumbler, band saw. soldering iron
    IIRC- 16 different turning tools of various shapes and styles.
    1/2 and 3/8 tools for the mini lathe also cut off tools
    set of center drills, and HSS drill bits
    specific drill bits for different sizes of pens, and bushings sets for each style of pen
    basic hand tools,like hex keys, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, bench vise
    precision hand miter saw, pen press, drilling jig,

The above covers most of what I have. But that does not even consider consumables like cleaning supplies, finishing supplies, sanding supplies, tumbler media, super glue, epoxy, solder or paint.

This is just to show how a simple thing like turning a basic pen can morph into a full blown addiction, and the $2000 price previously mentioned is actually low. But YMMV.

People make it sound like pens are difficult to make and cost a lot to produce. Pens can be made on a $50 drill press, although a lathe is much preferred if the means are available.
    There isn't a need for the "pen specific" drill bits, that is a waste of money. A good 115 pc. set of bits will cover any kit on the market. The bushings are another waste of money and are inaccurate.
    You have a metal lathe, put it to use and make the bushings. Use Delrin to make cone bushings for CA finishing on the lathe. I made all of my bushings and other gadgets for sanding the barrels and holding the blanks for turning. You seem to use the kits and that's fine, but most of them that are available now, are novelty. I got away from kits pretty quickly and wet full kitless when I got my metal lathe. Designs are limitless with a metal lathe. It also appears you use the low end kits and you can make the same styles easily on your lathe. The considered high end kits are just ridiculously priced.

Your last pen looks to have a Toni blank on it that I assume you ordered from Ed and Dawn at Exotics. There are a lot of poly clay artists, but they aren't promoted as well.
    I've made the decal blanks as well. Depending on your market, they can do well, but some people run into trademark and copyright issues because they use corporate logos.

If you like the "plastics", I could send you some blanks to try out. I cast them faster than I could use or sell them and when I gravitated away from pens, they got boxed up and I don't use them much anymore.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    This is my FIL's car that I scrolled for him. It's one of the many patterns that I made.

VTf5Keu.jpg

One of my first pens using my cast blanks.

55ZHYz2.jpg

A dot matrix tiger. These are intended to be viewed from a distance. Back away and it becomes clear.

hFQlO35.jpg

A 3D flourished heart in Corian.

gvZGW01.jpg

Last edited:

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    20170102_215458 (1).jpg I agree with Ballistix. A good tablesaw should be your first priority. I built this TV stand a few years ago and it would have been very difficult to make without a tablesaw. I know some woodworkers can do this with hand tools but I think if you want to be efficient get a tablesaw. Have fun.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I need some tips and pointers.

I've ordered 100 bucks worth of books on amazon from basic craftsmanship to joints to projects. And I've got the basic sets of tools; drills, circular saw, jig saw, and what not. I've got a few tools in mind that I think I want/need but any input would help. I know I need a good set of chivels, a pull saw, a flush saw, a coping saw, #4 and #8 hand planes, router plane, shoulder plane, and a combo square. As for power tools I think I just need a hand router at this point.

Like I saw I'm new to this and am still working at getting into this. I have a small one car garage to work in so I can't take on any large projects but think I can handle some boxes and some end tables at some point.

So basically is there anything you know now that you wish you would have known when you got started?

Hey turnerdye1,
    Welcome to a passion that can be as much fun as it is frustrating.
    A little background: I am a professional cabinetmaker/woodworker, it's what I do for a living. I started playing with wood when I was 13 in my father's basement. I have honed my skills over the years, and I still have more to learn.
    A couple books I have, and suggest to anyone working with wood are Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood: A Craftsman's Guide to Wood Technology and Jeff Jewitt's Great Wood Finishes. Another good book is Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish. These books are a good resource for when you are selecting wood to build with, and then how to get a good finish that will make your projects look awesome.

As for tools, you have a good list. I would add a table saw, a jigsaw, and a bandsaw. Table saw for breaking down rough lumber and sizing boards; a jigsaw makes it easy to cut decorative patterns, as well as removing excess stock if you are using a router to run pattern bits; a bandsaw is good for tapered and curved legs on furniture. And don't forget a good sander; I would suggest a 5" random orbit, and a 1/4-sheet finish sander. Oh, and clamps! You can never have enough clamps. Harbor Fright is a decent place for inexpensive bar clamps.

Measuring and marking tools, good ones, are a must. A flea market or auctions are a good place to find hand tools that have withstood the times. I still use my great-grandfathers Lufkin combination square every day.

As for tips: practice. If you want to get good at hand-cut dovetails, start with a practice piece and go to town. Do that until you feel good about the process and technique. I didn't start out cutting perfect joints the first time, as I said- I have honed my skills over the years.

Above all, be safe. Wear your eyes and ears, and dust mask. I made the mistake of not wearing a dust mask when I was younger, and now when I do the smallest task I start coughing and hacking if I don't have a dust mask on.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or a PM.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks for the tips! I've been reading a lot so far and I'm attempting to save up for a table saw and router. Due to my college debts and what not I'm starting out small. I've been browsing craigslist for table and miter saws. A band saw wasn't something on my list of items but from everything I've been reading I think its going to be.

Now I've got to find a good place around Indy to source some hardwoods.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tips! I've been reading a lot so far and I'm attempting to save up for a table saw and router. Due to my college debts and what not I'm starting out small. I've been browsing craigslist for table and miter saws. A band saw wasn't something on my list of items but from everything I've been reading I think its going to be.

Now I've got to find a good place around Indy to source some hardwoods.

Woodcraft, Rockler, North West Lumber. That's where I get all my hardwoods.

Top Bottom