• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I hear people occasionally ask about the lock. Has one ever locked up on it's own? Does the lock affect the action? Can't it be removed and a plug put in the hole? I don't anything with a lock, just curious to know whether I should always pass on the lock versions and look for an older one if I decide to pick one up. Thanks.

There are millions of lock S&W revolvers in use and a few reports of them self locking. You could also win the powerball if you buy a ticket. Both longshots but possible. Most reports are from hard kicking scandium framed guns and I could see how it is possible with the lock design. BTW it can be disabled easily and at no cost. The older prelock guns are becoming more valuable(as BehindBlueI's said) and more and more of them are being put away for safe keeping. Either gun will be a solid and reliable carry or range piece and you won't be as upset when you sweat on or beat up a lock gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought about that but all my life I have only owned Smith's, except for SA revolvers. Do you think I could get used to the push button cylinder release?:dunno:

I was concerned about it in the other direction. What I figured out is if you push on it, it'll release, even if you aren't quite at the right angle. I've never failed to work the cylinder release. Colt is the only one that's bass ackwards.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Touche'...I will go play with my Ruger Bearcat, Vaquero, and single six now....

Indiucky on his way to the range:

amish29n-1-web.jpg

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I actually like the look and function of the Ruger push button. I like the look of the Colt release the but the function of it not as much as the Ruger although I've been shooting both for years and am pretty good with the pull release. The S&W release is my least fav in both aspects, it's really the only thing I don't like about their revolvers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are millions of lock S&W revolvers in use and a few reports of them self locking. You could also win the powerball if you buy a ticket. Both longshots but possible. Most reports are from hard kicking scandium framed guns and I could see how it is possible with the lock design. BTW it can be disabled easily and at no cost. The older prelock guns are becoming more valuable(as BehindBlueI's said) and more and more of them are being put away for safe keeping. Either gun will be a solid and reliable carry or range piece and you won't be as upset when you sweat on or beat up a lock gun.

Tell us more . . .

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

You can still get a new Smith without a lock, my newish 340PD doesn't have one! My old 642 did have one though and I never had an issue out of it.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Tell us more . . .

When you engage the lock the flag raises up and when you disengage the lock the flag goes down. This flag has a small protrusion that engages the hammer keeping it from coming back. Grinding or filing off that protrusion will disable the lock without removing or buying any parts. You do have to remove the sideplate and hammer to do this but gun looks stock from outside when done.
    While you can remove the lock altogether and not really hurt anything you can buy a plug that plugs the keyhole but the slot where the flag is by the hammer will still be visible.

I have seen a fair number of revolvers being shot and know quite a few revolver shooters not to mention my customers and I know 1 person that has had a lock problem. He bought a new 327 and shot 8 rounds through it to see if it was sighted in and left to go to a match. He is a friend a good revolver shooter. He went to the first stage and shot 2 shots and the gun locked up. I went to safe area with him and seen the flag was up. We unlocked it and it worked fine for rest of match. Interestingly when I unlocked it he said that the flag was slightly visible before and with it unlocked now you can't see the flag at all. We kinda figured the gun come from the factory with the lock partially engaged and in just a few shots engaged it's self. :dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like and easy mod to do. I'll see what comes up when I'm ready to buy. I do favor the older ones(probably because I'm getting older, lol). But I'm not afraid to shoot my older ones either. I'm not saving them for anyone. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I solved the S&W lock/no lock problem with a Ruger LCR. Actually, I never paid attention to the lock on the one gun I ever owned that had it (442), but the LCR is so much easier and so much more comfortable to shoot than the 442 that switching was an easy choice.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve never owned a Hillary Hole Smith, and I’m not about to start. The 442 and 642 come no lock so that’s what I have. Crap, I lied, my Denny Reichard 640 has the hole Bill only hit once (allegedly).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bosshoss is here right now fixing my 629 with the Hillary Hole.....He just happened to stop in and I just happened to run home and grab my 629.....

Oh joy...I can hear the file as I type....

It is good that you two should encounter each other so randomly. Who could possibly have predicted it?

Is it a snubby or a proper 5-inch like Henry Bowman's?

Top Bottom