• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Reno
    I recently bought a 2 inch snub revolver after selling one to my brother years ago. Was wondering how you all carried with these pistols. I have a cheap ankle holster that allows the tip to tuck in to a boot for support, and it's not horrible to carry. Does anyone use IWB?

The revolver does have a hammer.

Just a tip, Go to desantis.com and check out their belt holsters. They make the best. Find the holster you like and input the make and model. They grip the gun and fit tight against the waist.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I carried a Taurus 85CH and sold it. I wish I hadn't. It was a great little gun. I slicked up the trigger and it ran good. If I could find another one at a reasonable price, I'd buy it.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    S&W Airweight 638. 38 Special Nyclad Hollow Point. If you can't get it done with a 5 shot you're in trouble.

This one is 6 shots, but I like your style! :cool:

E29s5CU.jpg

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    I've seen shootings where 5 shots didn't "get it done". Bring enough gun.
    I 100% agree and have also seen where 17 rounds didn't get the job done, thats neither here nor there. I believe it is based on each individual situation, environment, stress, muscle memory, SHTF factor ect. I also think that the more rounds you feel comfortable carrying is always best in a handgun regardless of caliber, as long as you are familiar/comfortable with the operation of said handgun.

I do think 5 and or 6 shots could, hopefully, get you to safety and or headed into the direction of a defensive weapon.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I 100% agree and have also seen where 17 rounds didn't get the job done, thats neither here nor there. I believe it is based on each individual situation, environment, stress, muscle memory, SHTF factor ect. I also think that the more rounds you feel comfortable carrying is always best in a handgun regardless of caliber, as long as you are familiar/comfortable with the operation of said handgun.

I do think 5 and or 6 shots could, hopefully, get you to safety and or headed into the direction of a defensive weapon.

I'm not saying that's not possible. What I am saying is that to flat-out claim that 5 rounds is a make-or-break point of some sort is foolish.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm not saying that's not possible. What I am saying is that to flat-out claim that 5 rounds is a make-or-break point of some sort is foolish.

Of course it is, but I doubt you will change any minds that don't want to be changed. Most people like what they like for a reason, logic and facts and experience be danged.

joedekock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    First off remember, not all LEO's are gun guys. Some are but some aren't. The gun is just part of the job. They go by some of the same things you hear which can be bad info.

First on the ammo selection. Read through this thread >>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/452117-snubby-ammo.html Look for the posts from BehindBlueI's. He is a LEO who knows his stuff. He gives his opinion on what ammo should work best in a 2" revolver.

As to revolvers never jamming, that is false. Yes, they tend to malfunction less that semi's but when they do jam, usually there is no getting them back into action. They can lock up tight. At least with a semi-auto, chances are a malfunction can be cleared with a tap/rack drill. This is not to say semi-autos don't break and are useless, they do. And I'm not knocking your choice of revolver for EDC. I have a 642 as a 2nd gun with me most of the time now. I just want you to be informed.

So.... you want to have a dick stretching contest about what LEO's know more and have the best knowledge? This is a thread that is simply asking if you carry a snubby.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So.... you want to have a dick stretching contest about what LEO's know more and have the best knowledge? This is a thread that is simply asking if you carry a snubby.

You are correct. It is about carrying a snubby. You told us what you carried and why. You are also new to INGO and we don't know much about you. I just offered some opinion (ammo selection) and some facts (revolvers do jam) as information. I was just trying to maybe help if you were a new gun owner. I put the info out and let you decide. We have all kinds here and until you are known a little better, you will get all kinds of opinions.

Case in point. We had a newish member who was told by someone that a 9mm shotshell/birdshot is the best 1st shot in a semiauto. The reasoning was it would stun the bad guy for long enough to line up a good 2nd shot with a hollow point. Members of INGO tried to help him understand that's not the best plan of action.

Basicly were just trying to help. If you want to turn this into some attack against you, that's your view, not ours.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I get ribbed all of the time on here for carrying snubbies and revolvers...Not once has anyone offered to pull their penis out and stretch it for me....I thought these guys liked me but they have never done that for me...They just give me rep.....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yes, snubbies have limitations.

5 or maybe 6 rounds is a limitation. (I always joke I have 6 chances to hit the bad guy w/ my 642, 5 when I shoot it and 1 when I throw it at him)
    slower to reload is a limitation.
    harder to hit accurately with is a limitation
    lower muzzle velocity is a limitation

As I've said many times, life is a series of risk assessments. Many times, based on location, activities, etc I make a conscious choice that I can accept those limitations. Better than saying "I don't need a gun while I just [sit around house / run errand / etc]." Other times, I prefer to carry my G19. Very rarely, both.

No matter what, when things go sideways, I will use the tool that I chose to be available to me to the best of my ability. No matter what, some piece of my brain will be saying "I wish I had my AR!"

There are things we can do to reduce those limitations. I hate hearing people say snub nose revolvers are for "contact distance." Bull. If you can't hit reliably and quickly at 15-25 yards, that's NOT the gun's fault. that's your fault (or gun/ammo combo not working together).

Reloads are slow, especially from 'speed strips.' Here I will be honest and say I don't practice it enough. Maybe this will be a little prod to practice it more.

short barrel can be somewhat negated with good ammo choices as discussed above.

Lots of people call it stubbornness or ignorance to be willing to carry just a j-frame. Well, maybe the former, not the later.
    "You just won't listen you say." No, I hear you. You may well stand over my grave someday and say "I told you so." I'm not using the best tool. Got it. thanks.

just my 2c.

-rvb

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    First off remember, not all LEO's are gun guys. Some are but some aren't. The gun is just part of the job. They go by some of the same things you hear which can be bad info.

First on the ammo selection. Read through this thread >>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/452117-snubby-ammo.html Look for the posts from BehindBlueI's. He is a LEO who knows his stuff. He gives his opinion on what ammo should work best in a 2" revolver.

As to revolvers never jamming, that is false. Yes, they tend to malfunction less that semi's but when they do jam, usually there is no getting them back into action. They can lock up tight. At least with a semi-auto, chances are a malfunction can be cleared with a tap/rack drill. This is not to say semi-autos don't break and are useless, they do. And I'm not knocking your choice of revolver for EDC. I have a 642 as a 2nd gun with me most of the time now. I just want you to be informed.

I guess it is POSSIBLE a J frame could jam. I have carried one since Vietnam, BUG, in 1968, and have shot one every week for over 50 years. I realize it COULD happen but for me, not yet. Bottom feeders? I don't think I have owned one, Colt, Glock, CZ, STAR, Walther, Rohrbaugh, Kimber and Ruger that at some point DIDM'T fail. I'll play the odds thanks.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I guess it is POSSIBLE a J frame could jam. I have carried one since Vietnam, BUG, in 1968, and have shot one every week for over 50 years. I realize it COULD happen but for me, not yet.

Bosshoss once summed it up this way....If a revolver is going to fail you will know it's going to fail before it fails.....

rimg.php

This thing is as old as me...On weekends (not here as of late) I put at least two hundred rounds through her at our farm....She's never failed me once....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I like my hammerless 642.... no hammer means you could actually shoot it from concealment (ie coat pocket) and not have it jam up because something caught on the hammer. Not a super likely scenario, but worth considering. I figured I had no intention of using it or practicing single-action anyway, so not giving anything up. But I've never been afraid of DA, either.

shrouded hammer isn't a bad compromise, but it's not like you're going to reliably/quickly going to be thumbing that thing back, so why bother, imo.

just my 2c

-rvb

FYI, back when I worked for a company that was into this sort of thing, I shot a lot from the pocket (relative to most people who have heard it can be done but never actually try it.). While it is true it can be done with a hammerless gun, i did have a pocket lining get into the cylinder one time and lock it up solid. Likely no, possible, yes.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I guess it is POSSIBLE a J frame could jam. I have carried one since Vietnam, BUG, in 1968, and have shot one every week for over 50 years. I realize it COULD happen but for me, not yet. Bottom feeders? I don't think I have owned one, Colt, Glock, CZ, STAR, Walther, Rohrbaugh, Kimber and Ruger that at some point DIDM'T fail. I'll play the odds thanks.

Its not just possible, it happens much more frequently than most people realize.

Top Bottom