• ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nobody wants to come out and put their snubbies to the test? :dunno:

I've put mine to the test. It worked. :dunno:

Playing games isn't where things are proven in the real world. The real world is. I've stayed out of the thread because I don't want to clutter up Coach's thread and what he's doing is worth doing. It gives people a place to practice and move, facilities a lot of the population doesn't have routine access to. That said, the notion that it somehow proves or disproves what works in the real world is flawed.

Games don't test the majority of what causes wins or losses in gun fights. Pure shooting ability is fantastic, but hits diminishing returns pretty early on. The ability to see trouble coming, the ability to ambush or counter-ambush, and using speed, surprise, and ferocity of attack wins fights. Realistic force on force is as close to recreating that as you can get without being in real gunfights, but even that lacks the body language cues, social dynamics, etc.

Snubbies aren't ideal, but they are viable. If you want to "prove" otherwise, show me the dead guys with snubbies in their hands, and that there's a statistical difference in avoiding injury. Because I sure haven't observed one.

I needed a gun while jogging. How many "I always carry a duty sized gun" run with one? How many harping on how lousy they are go unarmed in an NPE? Duty size gun that you can't conceal so you leave it in the car or at home? That active shooter starts up, would you rather hold your classroom door with a .38 you smuggled in your jock strap or, what, a stapler in a sock because your "real guns" are locked in your car?

I carry a duty sized pistol when outside the house nearly 100% of the time. Since my neck is getting to the point I can actually jog again, that'll go down some. But I'm not particularly worried because I do know my own skill level and what's required to win a gunfight. Sure, I could lose. Luck plays a role. Some a-hole I've locked up could recognize me and run me over before I even know they are there. But it lets me have a gun, and one that is quite viable if the fighter does their part. If you want to compare "real world" resumes or research, I'm game.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008

Playing games isn't where things are proven in the real world. The real world is. I've stayed out of the thread because I don't want to clutter up Coach's thread and what he's doing is worth doing. It gives people a place to practice and move, facilities a lot of the population doesn't have routine access to. That said, the notion that it somehow proves or disproves what works in the real world is flawed.

Games don't test the majority of what causes wins or losses in gun fights. Pure shooting ability is fantastic, but hits diminishing returns pretty early on. The ability to see trouble coming, the ability to ambush or counter-ambush, and using speed, surprise, and ferocity of attack wins fights. Realistic force on force is as close to recreating that as you can get without being in real gunfights, but even that lacks the body language cues, social dynamics, etc.

Snubbies aren't ideal, but they are viable. If you want to "prove" otherwise, show me the dead guys with snubbies in their hands, and that there's a statistical difference in avoiding injury. Because I sure haven't observed one.

I needed a gun while jogging. How many "I always carry a duty sized gun" run with one? How many harping on how lousy they are go unarmed in an NPE? Duty size gun that you can't conceal so you leave it in the car or at home? That active shooter starts up, would you rather hold your classroom door with a .38 you smuggled in your jock strap or, what, a stapler in a sock because your "real guns" are locked in your car?

I carry a duty sized pistol when outside the house nearly 100% of the time. Since my neck is getting to the point I can actually jog again, that'll go down some. But I'm not particularly worried because I do know my own skill level and what's required to win a gunfight. Sure, I could lose. Luck plays a role. Some a-hole I've locked up could recognize me and run me over before I even know they are there. But it lets me have a gun, and one that is quite viable if the fighter does their part. If you want to compare "real world" resumes or research, I'm game.
    Very well said and I must concur. You've mirrored my views to a T. Thanks.

I had a snubby save my bacon not long ago. Was it my first choice? Hell no! But it was the best I could do under those circumstances and I was elated I had it. Would have preferred a semi-auto long gun but that wasn't an option. Real world is sometimes like that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I recently bought a 2 inch snub revolver after selling one to my brother years ago. Was wondering how you all carried with these pistols. I have a cheap ankle holster that allows the tip to tuck in to a boot for support, and it's not horrible to carry. Does anyone use IWB?

The revolver does have a hammer.

I got this one not long ago.... It goes along for the ride somewhat regularly.

Ruger LCR 357mag currently loaded with Hornady 357mag Leverevolution 140g FTX.

View attachment 65405

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, have you chrono'd those from the LCR? Since they are marketed for lever actions, I'd wondered if they had a slower burning powder for longer barrels.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Out of curiosity, have you chrono'd those from the LCR? Since they are marketed for lever actions, I'd wondered if they had a slower burning powder for longer barrels.

I have not, but it is on the "to do" list.

I think your point re: slower burning powder could very well be correct. It is likely not the best cartridge for a snubby, but it is what I had at the time.

A lighter bullet / faster bullet might be in order as well. I'm not sure the expansion on this one would be as intended.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Well said Brother....

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I do like a snubby though.... easy carry, accurate within intended range, etc.

It usually goes as a backup, but where circumstances warrant it goes as primary.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you want to compare "real world" resumes or research, I'm game.

You can put your dick away, I’m not here to take any measurements. I’m just posting an opportunity for people outside of the comp world to test their skills and equipment beyond what is possible on most ranges.

I KNOW I can’t hit **** on the move with a snub-nose revolver much past contact distance. I know because I’ve tried. Maybe you can. I suspect far more think they can than know.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can put your dick away, I’m not here to take any measurements.

No dick measuring. Just a bit of a call out for:

We must be mistaken. Surely no one develops this level of confidence without real world testing.

You want real world, I gave you real world. Real world isn't proven in games. There is some overlap, of course, and I've already said I think it's important to get the opportunity to shoot on the move, etc.

I KNOW I can’t hit **** on the move with a snub-nose revolver much past contact distance. I know because I’ve tried. Maybe you can. I suspect far more think they can than know.

You can with training. Try Sand Burr.

Much like the DA/SA, training specific to the platform is more-better-er than generic training.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    When I got a new artery in my strong arm from armpit to wrist, I was a few months not able to rack a slide. Then since my suture sites are at recoil points for longguns at the arm pit and pistol recoil at wrist I was told to shoot left handed by my doctor. So shooting with my off hand as my new strong hand, semi autos don't cut it for me. I sold my pistols and went back to revolvers. I am not a super hero nor do I play one on tv, but regardless of my carry, 22 mag to 38 to 357, I generally hit what I aim at and wouldn't want to be shot by any of them.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    S&W 442 on occasion. I’ve ran a class and put in range training with it and definitely plan on doing more. Very viable option - reloads, getting hits on the move, hits beyond contact distance, etc are all possible but you do have to commit to the work to get there.

It’s my only revolver right now but I’m also on the hunt for a S&W Nightguard :ingo:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I got this one not long ago.... It goes along for the ride somewhat regularly.

View attachment 65405

As BBI stated, this might not be the best load for a short barrel. There are a few YT videos on this. The speed of the bullet is slower than what is needed to make the hollow point work properly.

[video=youtube_share;mRRrvL4b45g]http://youtu.be/mRRrvL4b45g[/video]

This isn't scientific but gives you a little info.

Top Bottom