• ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    grrrr.... you guys are talking jibberish.

Glitch, PM me an email address and I will get you a first floor print, second floor print, and truss print tomorrow.

Church, would you like the truss print as well? its not quite precise as I drew it with the joists being 2 foot on center instead of 16.... I drew it this way because I needed to see it drawn out and have something to send a few people to talk about some engineering issues I am having. once I figure that out I will draw it to scale 16 inch on centers.

no jibberish.....hydronics;)

pm sent...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    please.
    Not trying to confuse you Indy. ghitch has a long history in the trade. It is service speak......:)

Glitch is the one who had me looking that route in the first place.... hours and hours of research and I didn't feel like I was going to have a reasonable solution. At least not enough confidence to plan it effectively. You know my attention to detail and my desire to understand EVERYTHING, I never quite got to that level of understand of hyrdronic. It wasn't a lack of understanding of the way it works, it was a lack of understanding to my application and how it would fit into my building schedule. esp in regards to loop lengths, zones, manifolds, pumps thermostats.

We will see what he has to say after he sees my prints. If I get a materials list I can do a cost anaylysis to see about incorporating it into the design. I don't think that will change using the mini splits for cooling and back up heat... and heat during the swing months. all decisions that would have to be made after I have numbers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glitch is the one who had me looking that route in the first place.... hours and hours of research and I didn't feel like I was going to have a reasonable solution. At least not enough confidence to plan it effectively. You know my attention to detail and my desire to understand EVERYTHING, I never quite got to that level of understand of hyrdronic. It wasn't a lack of understanding of the way it works, it was a lack of understanding to my application and how it would fit into my building schedule. esp in regards to loop lengths, zones, manifolds, pumps thermostats.

We will see what he has to say after he sees my prints. If I get a materials list I can do a cost anaylysis to see about incorporating it into the design. I don't think that will change using the mini splits for cooling and back up heat... and heat during the swing months. all decisions that would have to be made after I have numbers.

Research.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Do not over think this. You have some time.

Indeed, but I have a hell of a lot more details that have to be figured out as well... I am approximately 60 days into mostly non stop research and figuring. at least 4 hours a day including weekends. and don't even have the whole structure planned, let alone plumbing details, electric, flooring, wall materials, insurance, ect ect ect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Indeed, but I have a hell of a lot more details that have to be figured out as well... I am approximately 60 days into mostly non stop research and figuring. at least 4 hours a day including weekends. and don't even have the whole structure planned, let alone plumbing details, electric, flooring, wall materials, insurance, ect ect ect.

Some of those details will be on site decisions. Most prints/plans are guess work on a project such as yours. It is near impossible to get every t crossed and I dotted. Hard as you try.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    +1 a lot of things will fall into place......

I agree, but I would still like to foresee at least my material costs if nothing else. I don't want to think I will be spending 2k on parts, and then realized during the install I still need such and such and its going to actually cost 4k.

by the way, I sent you the plans.... if you need a full size scale copy pm me an address and I will get it in the mail this week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, but I would still like to foresee at least my material costs if nothing else. I don't want to think I will be spending 2k on parts, and then realized during the install I still need such and such and its going to actually cost 4k.

by the way, I sent you the plans.... if you need a full size scale copy pm me an address and I will get it in the mail this week.

Know very good people that have been pulling jobs off prints and bidding them all their lives. They have a formula for "Fudge" factor. No one can nail costs to the dollar. You can get close. Just way to many variables once the lumber is dropped off.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ill do my best to have it figured to the dollar, but when I go to the bank each and every thing will be inflated at least 15 percent.... that will be my "fudge" factor. I know I can get the money from the bank. If I weren't doing a self contracted project the bank would give me half a million. Doesn't mean I want to spend that much. Ill figure 15 percent over to be safe, doesn't mean I wont do whatever I can to NOT spend that 15 percent.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    You had mentioned wood. These are nice units. Just something to ponder.

Woodburning Furnace

The freestanding unit is a very effective way to heat a home. This distributes warm air through out the home where you have ductwork.
    brotate.gif
    The rotating free-standing JUCA Model B-3B at the left shows a number of its features.On the front is the large (15" by 21") glass door, and slide draft control underneath.
    On the back is the (Standard) blower near the bottom, the 8" by 16" warm air outlet (to connect into ducts) near the top, and the automatic blower control assembly to the right.
    Less obvious are the adjustable warm air outlets on the sides, under the overhangs about halfway up.

This is how my parents heated mostly. We kept a 2 to 3 year wood supply.

Also I have a company that has been pretty reasonable on spray foam in the past if you would like to get a quote. We are planning to only spray the attic floor/ceiling area in our home. We are also going to utilize a whole house fan in a hall ceiling to help cool in the summers. There are so many more options these days for insulation and heat/cooling. I love reading about these things. I hope to build one day a small place for my wife and I. Keep updating as you go please.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I highly doubt that will pass the plan submission to the spousal department.

If I were to heat with wood it would be with an outdoor boiler. Or supplement during the really cold snaps with a standard insert.
    I have 4 acres of woods, but after reading how much wood it takes to heat a house in our climate, I have no interest in using up half of the trees on my property over the next 20 years.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    When installed properly, what's this 'repair cost' you speak of... ?

even if installed properly.....compressor,reversing valve,defrost board,ect......about twice the parts of a gas furnace.....plus a HP/AC running twice as much as a straight A/C so half the life span......

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    even if installed properly.....compressor,reversing valve,defrost board,ect......about twice the parts of a gas furnace.....plus a HP/AC running twice as much as a straight A/C so half the life span......

speaking of, did you get the paper blueprints in the mail? I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. Radiant heat sounds very appealing, but also seems like a very complicated install.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    damn... they said it was supposed to be there yesterday. My handwriting isn't the best, so I wonder if there was confusion. So much for paying the extra two bucks to get it there yesterday.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

I see, just bash the products you don't like.

I think you better add up the parts for a Gas Furnace/Air Conditioner compared to a Heat Pump with Electric Back-up.

Top Bottom