• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Had one, loved it, sold it for the oldest reason of all - to buy something else.

If I ever buy another 1911, (which I doubt) it will be a Taurus. Great frame, great barrel, lots of extras, the only flaw from what I understand is metal injection small parts instead of forged, but I've heard the same is true of Kimber.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not shooting to point of aim, is different than inaccurate. I would have assumed the gun was putting holes all over the target, but sounds from this conversation like point of impact was not where you were aiming but that it did in fact group ok where it was hitting?
    Grouping was accurate and consistent with the pt1911.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Not shooting to point of aim, is different than inaccurate. I would have assumed the gun was putting holes all over the target, but sounds from this conversation like point of impact was not where you were aiming but that it did in fact group ok where it was hitting?

If they are not using the sights correctly the grouping will be fine, it will just be about 10-12" low at 15 yards. Out at 25y it will be so low you wont even be hitting the target. A lot of times people just get frustrated and immediatly start pointing fingers at the gun.

farmer2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    North Liberty
    Your exactly right 45pro. I was about 12 inches low but had a good brouping at 15 yards. I was quick to blame the gun but it sound like you know what you're talking about!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I competed with one for 2 years. The first time out the left thumb safety fell off and the hammer followed the slide quite often. I had to send it back to Taurus, wait 3 months and when I got it back the rear sight had been moved way right. Once I sighted the gun again it was fine.

If you are going to shoot it a lot you may be disappointed by the longevity you get out of it.

I have been a 1911 guy my whole life and have come to believe you get what you pay for. :twocents:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I am pretty happy with my Taurus 1911 ALR. Only put a few hunderd rounds through it so far. Seems to shoot low for me.

Mark

Just4Fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Carmel
    My next purchase will be the PT1911 9mm. Most of the reviews are very positive. I have wanted a 1911 for a while, and since I have a couple 9mm guns, it will be easy to keep a good stock of ammo.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I owned one and had an issue with the safety falling out. I changed the ambi safety to a normal, left side only safety and that fixed the issue. The gun was very accurate and I didn't have a single malfunction in 500 rounds.

I ended up trading it for a Springfield GI, which was a bad move on my part. The GI has had several FTE's and I didn't know at the time how much I would grow to hate low-profile GI sights.

I got the GI cause I wanted the old 1911 look, but looking back now, I traded a good pistol for a not as good pistol. I think the PT1911 is a great pistol and worth every penny.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Had one. Safety fell off on the first trip to the range. Got that fixed and a couple hundred rounds later the extractor broke. Sent it to Taurus, got it back and sold it. I've also owned a Taurus 24/7 and had problems with it. I will never own another Taurus product. If I had my choice between a Taurus and a brick, I would take the brick.

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    I have owned two (45 and 38 Super).
    Great shooters and a lot of good extras for the price.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    PT1911

Owned a PT1911 SS since 2008. Have put 3000+ rnds. thru the gun. Only issue is, the plunger tube started to work loose. I restaked it with a tool from Brownells. CMC magazines will not feed HP ammo. Otherwise, works great with all other mags and 200LSWC reloads. Great gun. Satisfied with my purchase.

DDay47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I have one and think it is a great 1911. It shoots as well as my Colt Gold Cup and cost me a lot less.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I took a stainless one in on trade for a jon boat last summer. I think the Heinies are great. Mine has a really good trigger pull for an out of the box 1911.
    I have a 6 inch swinger at 55 yards in my back yard that I shot at the first time with this piece. First 2 rounds were spotters. The next 3 went ding, ding, ding...offhand. I can certainly live with that. Will put it on paper pretty soon.
    I am used to shooting 1911's and think this will work out to be good piece. If any bugs show up, I will probably fix it and go on. It is the only stainless one I own right now....John

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    which probably speaks to Taurus' manufacturing tolerances. They don't have a bad product... you just have to roll the dice on the quality you are going to get.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mine is like my American Express card, I never leave home without it. I've owned several Taurus pistols and never had any major issues with them or their service. I bought the PT1911SS when they first came out and I absolutely love it.

Top Bottom