• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i had one. i thought it handled great and was quite accurate.

I did note that the safety felt cheap and flimsy, the blueing was thin, and the gun was finicky with JHPs.

The other thing to be aware of is that the pt1911 doesn't use all standardized 1911 parts.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I bought one a few years ago during Taurus' advertising it as having all of the features of a much more expensive gun. That may or not be true, but I have found it to be a very good gun. As I have said before, the only time that I have ever had the slightest bit of trouble with it was when I used aftermarket magazines, including the Chip McCormicks. It might not be saying a whole lot, but I can shoot it about as good as I can any of my other hand guns. I am definitely going to keep it around for a while.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Held one, liked it, bought it, shot it, sold it.

Inaccurate, FTE/stovepipes, at least felt heavier than my 6" .44 on my belt.

Disclaimer: I own only four fullsize autos, none of which get carried on a regular basis due to weight/size and all are 1lb + lighter than the PT1911.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have the alloy frame, 2k down the pipe, no problems.Eats everything I feed it.
    Finish is thin so I had slide Duracoated,replace hammer because it's ugly.Shoots great,POA is POI.I carry this one more than I do my Kimber.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The other thing to be aware of is that the pt1911 doesn't use all standardized 1911 parts.

Huh, weird, that was not my experience. Granted, with ANY 1911, the parts require fitting, it is a hand fitting intensive piece of weapon, but every PT1911 I have horsed with, any and all 1911 parts could be fitted to it. Now, it does use a Series 80 safety, which throws folks off from time to time.

I had a PT1911 that the only factory parts left were the frame, slide and barrel, everything else I had refitted. :dunno:

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    A 1911 is on my list of guns to buy, and its time. I really like the look of Taurus's 1911's, especially the ones with a factory rail up front. I have a Taurus PT111 and am satisfied with it even though it is terribly inaccurate. I want to know if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks, Nick

The Taurus PT1911 is an excellent firearm IMO with a lifetime warrenty. I presently own 2 and have no issues. Very accurate for me after a bit of rear sight adjustment. It is one of those firearms for me, that just feels natural, balanced and good to hold. I know that is not the case for everyone, so I would suggest, (like any firearm) if you can get a hold of one, try it first before you buy.

As far as the PT111, I am very satisfied with the accuracy of mine:dunno:....especially after I got used to the trigger pull. Won't have that issue with the PT1911, it has a nice trigger pull.:)

yogiboobooranger

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    May 16, 2008
    La Porte
    Had one and loved it except for the safety..it was the weak part in a wonderful gun. Had to change it because it would not stay together, so the right side would just flop around after shooting a few rounds. I converted mine to single side safety and no more problems.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I bought one a couple months back to get into shooting USPSA. I have put nearly 1,000 rounds through it already and I love it. Mine shoots very accurately. I have not had any mechanical hickups what so ever. I think it's safe to say that I love my PT1911. The list of features on this gun, the price, the accuracy, knockdown, and reliability are all great selling features. The only thing I have changed is the grips. I put some Hogue overmolded grips and the gun feels soooo much nicer now. I have a much more solid grip which helped me a lot in the last match I shot.

I'm a total greenhorn, but I feel like the PT1911 is a great gun to hone my skills with shooting USPSA. I give it two thumbs way, way up.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have one, and I love it. I wish I didn't have to sell it. Very accurate, as in 1.25" at 25 yards from a rest. Well built, never had a malfunction. Its a great pistol.

Carpenter

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Clinton, In
    I have had one for well over a year, sadly haven't put near enough rounds through it. Have owned a 38, 2 Beretta clones, and this 1911 ar, no problems except with the 38, it broke, bought used sent back to factory, fixed. Have owned too many 1911's, this is my best yet. Want to see them come out with a commander size.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    A 1911 is on my list of guns to buy, and its time. I really like the look of Taurus's 1911's, especially the ones with a factory rail up front. I have a Taurus PT111 and am satisfied with it even though it is terribly inaccurate. I want to know if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks, Nick

R u sure your using the sights correctly? They are defense sights not target sights and you do not use the traditional 6 o'clock hold with it.

I have a pt145, same thing but in .45, and it is dead on once you get used to the sights.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    My brother bought one. It had all kinds of malfunctions with several different kinds of ammo. It had failures to feed, failures to eject, different kinds of jams. He sent it back to Taurus' customer service people three times before they finally replaced it with a new gun and he sold the new one without even shooting it. I wouldn't buy one at all.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My brother bought one. It had all kinds of malfunctions with several different kinds of ammo. It had failures to feed, failures to eject, different kinds of jams. He sent it back to Taurus' customer service people three times before they finally replaced it with a new gun and he sold the new one without even shooting it. I wouldn't buy one at all.

Wow, thats the first ive heard of anything that majorly wrong involving a PT series 1911, the older taurus 1911 clone, not so good. Sounds like he got one that made it through quality control with many issues.

Ive got over 3000 rds through mine, not a single FTF or jam and ive fed it everything imagainable from reloads to JHPs to FMJs. :twocents:

Last edited:

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I love mine with about 9,000 rounds through it with no problems and I have not been gentle with it the only thing is to make sure if you have to adjust the sights be sure to use locktite on the set screws (found the hard way durring a match).

farmer2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    North Liberty
    R u sure your using the sights correctly? They are defense sights not target sights and you do not use the traditional 6 o'clock hold with it.

I have a pt145, same thing but in .45, and it is dead on once you get used to the sights.
    I guess Im not using the sights right. Maybe I need to start another post to get schooled on what im doing wrong beause I dont think I can adjust them enough to fix the problem.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I guess Im not using the sights right. Maybe I need to start another post to get schooled on what im doing wrong beause I dont think I can adjust them enough to fix the problem.

The sight picture for the heinie straight eights is sight picture 3. Although on this picture the rear dots aren't in the right place, that sight picture is the proper way to use them. Many people dont like the straight eights because they "shoot low" but thats not the case, they just aren't lining the sights up correctly.
    sightimages.jpg

You need to COVER the bullseye with the dot on the front sight. If you do this, you will be dead on. They are defense sights made to aquire your target faster. They work well and i actually prefer them, they do take some getting used to though. If you have any questions on them, PM me. I've had them for quite a few years now and i really like them. They shoot just as good, if not better IMO if used properly.

EDIT: Maybe we need to post this somewhere for everyone to see, it seems like 95% of people with straight eights/heinie sights, doesn't know how to properly use them.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The sight picture for the heinie straight eights is sight picture 3. Although on this picture the rear dots aren't in the right place, that sight picture is the proper way to use them. Many people dont like the straight eights because they "shoot low" but thats not the case, they just aren't lining the sights up correctly.
    sightimages.jpg

You need to COVER the bullseye with the dot on the front sight. If you do this, you will be dead on. They are defense sights made to aquire your target faster. They work well and i actually prefer them, they do take some getting used to though. If you have any questions on them, PM me. I've had them for quite a few years now and i really like them. They shoot just as good, if not better IMO if used properly.

EDIT: Maybe we need to post this somewhere for everyone to see, it seems like 95% of people with straight eights/heinie sights, doesn't know how to properly use them.

I'm part of this 95%. :n00b: I suppose this is the reason why I shoot low with mine too. Thanks for filling me in. :bash:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm part of this 95%. :n00b: I suppose this is the reason why I shoot low with mine too. Thanks for filling me in. :bash:

Not shooting to point of aim, is different than inaccurate. I would have assumed the gun was putting holes all over the target, but sounds from this conversation like point of impact was not where you were aiming but that it did in fact group ok where it was hitting?

Top Bottom