• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a 2002 Z06 Vette. Part of my American dream! I've lived here for 2 years now and so far no evidence of mice in the garage. I'd say it probably stays about 10 degrees warmer in there than the outside temps, or at least it feels that way to me. I hadn't thought about the lack of heat keeping mice out, but that sure does bring me some peace of mind.

Mice are not hampered by a lack of heat. If they feel comfortable/safe in there they will get in there. Seen to many cars that sat in unheated structures with mice damage.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You can go crazy with storage prep but don't need to. My formula is less than 1/4 fuel, stabil, oil change, good battery tender, thick foam under the tires, raise tire pressure by 5 - 10 pounds, decon and moth balls around the car. Every summer I uncover, investigate for mouse evidence, fire it up, reset the tire pressure, fill it with fresh fuel, and drive until the next winter. OEM battery lasted 7 years before dying in the summer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    People should go after the government on the soy based wires, that's where the pressure came from to use "renewables".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have stored my trucks every winter, never used fuel stabilizer, just a full tank of fuel.

I think modern gas doesn't turn to shellac very easily. A full tank keeps condensation low. I left my truck for 2 years while I was overseas, and it had no problems starting or running with the fuel that was left in it. Maybe not a best practice, I don't know, but with mowers, generators, motorcycles, and automobiles I've never had an issue with not putting stabilizer in.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A friend of mine specializes in repairing/restoring high dollar collector cars and, therefore, is around these types of vehicles 24/7/365. I posed the question to him re: fuel stabilizers and he swore at Stabil and for Seafoam. He asserted that Stabil was less than effective and thought it might actually be detrimental in its affects on fuel - especially with anything containing ethanol. He strongly recommended using Seafoam. He also recommended filling the tank rather than leaving it partially full - he contends it helps prohibitbit condensation.

I put a battery “maintainer” on the battery on my 2011 Camaro when I stored it this year as I have done with other cars in the past. Other than that, nothing special except using a good car cover that breathes and will not trap moisture.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think modern gas doesn't turn to shellac very easily. A full tank keeps condensation low. I left my truck for 2 years while I was overseas, and it had no problems starting or running with the fuel that was left in it. Maybe not a best practice, I don't know, but with mowers, generators, motorcycles, and automobiles I've never had an issue with not putting stabilizer in.

The newer fuels have some ethanol in them. This attracts moisture.
    Jkaetz has the right formula. I have seen his car. I would take good care of it as well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have two vehicles that we don't drive once the salt has hit the road (this morning here). We fill the tanks prior to parking them to avoid the condensation and use the battery charger periodically during the winter to keep the batteries up. I start mine every couple of months. I think hubby does his as well. We haven't had any issues in the spring...turn the key and go.

I do need to get some gas to add to mine as I didn't get a chance to top it off before the salt went down today. Oops. Prices went up after our last outing and I was too cheap to stop and pay the higher price.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I learned my lesson the hard way on a Honda snowblower and a Toro lawn mower: both were only 1 or 2 yrs. old, and I didn't treat either one at the end of the season and it cost me a carb rebuild on each: lesson learned.
    2. Back when I had 6 antique cars at one time in my younger years, I'm surprised didn't have more issues with cars sitting and gas. Cars that used the old leaded fuel seemed to hold up better.
    3. Having stored many motorcycles over the winter I started using a stabalizer later in life.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Small motors seem to suffer the most from not using a stabilizer. I have had more fuel floats and needles get gummed up whithout using it than I have while using stabil/seafoam. Both work for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Small motors seem to suffer the most from not using a stabilizer. I have had more fuel floats and needles get gummed up whithout using it than I have while using stabil/seafoam. Both work for me.

Stabil works for us but fuel will get rotated into the vehicles when prices at the pump are low. This week we filled both rigs from reserves and refilled the reserves and stabilized, put back in rotation. Not used seafoam but heard good things.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Chevron Techron in the fuel tank along with it full. It's a highly recommended fuel additive / cleaner on the Z06 forums. The C5 has a problem with a build up on the fuel level sensor over time anspd this is a well know fix. I have an 2003 not quite stored yet as changing out the valve springs and other maintenance projects on it, but the Techron already in it an tires pumped up to reduce flat spotting.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Not sure if the Stabil crystalizes or what it does. I found mine to be gritty once and quit using it. Seafoam has worked fine for me and keeps smaller passages clear in old carbs.

Top Bottom