• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I carry a S&W 640 probably about 80% of the time. Most of the time it is in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster in my front jean pocket or in an outside jacket pocket. Sometimes it will ride in an Uncle Mike's pancake holster I got with the gun. At times I think I would like to have something lighter such as the 642, however, with the bit of extra weight it does make range time more comfortable esp. with my +P carry loads. I also carry at least one extra speed loader, mainly because I got several that came with the gun. I usually just throw one or two in another pocket or carry in a small pouch if belt carrying.

One thing I learned is that it is a good idea to shoot your snubby as often as possible until you are comfortable with the operation and accuracy. When I first got mine I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside with it! It took me a few hundred rounds to feel confident and now I believe at typical self defense ranges it will do the job.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think you'll find that more people will depend on the small frame 38 as a primary gun than will admit to it in public. Afterall, it's not nearly as cool or flashy as the latest wiz-bang blaster.

I carry a J pretty much all the time, sometimes it's as a BUG, others as a primary when I just need to be more discrete. They've treated me well, and I've never felt under prepared with just that.

I usually carry 2 bianchi speed strips in my pocket as reloads. I've found the "speed loaders" are just to big and bulky.

Tinman....

Last edited:

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The norm for me is a 2" SP101 in a pancake on the belt or in a Galco pocket holster in the inside pocket when wearing a jacket. Or when feeling like I need more gun, 3" GP100 in a pancake on the belt. Typically 125 grainers, magnum, in either unless I plan on being indoors for most of the outing then it is .38 +p.

Very seldom do any of my autos get toted. I usually will keep it in the glove box if one is coming along.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've carried a Ruger SP101 2.25" in .357 mag for 15+ years...no problems! I've installed a Badger Boot Grip and a Meprolight front night sight giving me better 'point-n-shoot' capabilities at night. It weights in around 25 oz, but this helps to absorb recoil, helping with 2nd shot. I carry this in a Fobus RU101 ankle holster, a Bianchi Model 7 3-slot (under a jacket or hoodie), or in a coat pocket in the winter time.

I also have a Ruger LCR in .38 +P, which I am falling in love with due to it's weight (13.5 oz empty) and portability. It is a DAO gun, but I've had plenty of practice with my SP101, so it's not too much of a change. Ruger did a really nice job with the trigger pull, so it's been easy to adjust too. It's also very accurate and I don't even notice it anymore when I'm carrying it in my pocket, on my hip, or on my ankle.

I love the Ruger's b/c the front sight is pinned on and it's easy to install a front night sight at home rather than having to have a gunsmith grind down a front sight as you would with the Taurus and S&W revolvers and then fit the sight to it (although the S&W airweight series are really nice guns). Meprolight, Trijicon, and XS Sights all make tritium night sights for the little Rugers...but I prefer the Meprolight as it's the brightest...XS Sights is the only one currently making a front night sight for the LCR.

The nice thing about the .357 is more than adequate firepower should a situation go bad. But that you can also shoot / carry .38's in it, making a bit more controllable, especially with second / follow-up shots, but with practice, it's easily done with the .357 as well. Also, there are a variety of different grips available for the Ruger SP101 (as there are for S&W and Taurus revolvers as well) by Hogue, Badger Grips, and Trausch that are comfortable and help you to handle the little gun better.

For customization of a 5-shot revolver...there's no one better than Gemini Customs (Gemini Customs LLC - Custom 1911 Firearms) in Kentucky!

If capacity is a concern, Taurus makes an Ultra-Light 7-shot revolver that will handle +P's...and I believe they make the same gun in .357 MAG, but it's a steel gun...25-27 oz. I've had a Titanium Taurus 850, but it jammed twice on me, was repaired twice, and then traded b/c I didn't trust it any more...a good 'medium grade' gun.

Good luck choosing...I would suggest that you borrow or rent a few guns and try shoot them to see which one you like best! :twocents:

:rockwoot:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    My backup is an SP101 snub in .357 magnum carried in a high cross draw. I can draw it with either hand.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Lots of great information here. Will definitely be shooting as many as I can before making a final decision. Fortunately, with enough practice, I can get used to pretty much anything.

I'm curious. Are full house .357 mags out of a snubbie as painful as I've been led to believe?

mathews28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    360 smith

smith airlite not airweight 360 with a hammer or 340 without hammer. super light weight and shoots 38 or 357 but the later is a handfull

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My typical EDC is a G27, but like you, sometimes that doesn't always fit the bill. I often revert to a S&W Airweight .38 snubby. Prior to picking that up, a Charter Arms Undercover was my choice. Either of those on my ankle is the alternate to my G27. I do however highly recommend the lighter version of whatever you choose, i.e., airweight, airlight, etc. It makes a huge difference in comfort.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. :yesway:
    I too carry a G27 everyday and sometimes it is nice to through a snubbie on for quick runs and like said above the lightweight ones can be really nice. I would prefer a concealed hammer for carry.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I occasionally carry a taurus 85 ultralite in a comp-tac pro undercover on my strong side hip at approximately 4-5 o'clock.
    taurus85withproundercover.jpg

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    I carry a S&W 642 90% of the time. I prefer a pocket holster and go with a DeSantis Nemesis in my right front pocket with 2 speed strips in the pocket watch pocket. I occasionally carry OWB in a Galco Speed Paddle Holster at 4:00 if walking a lot while wearing a jacket.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a S&W Mod 36 and a older S&W Mod 60 .38 I will drop in my pocket on occasion when I just need to run to the store or going outside for something. Sometimes will carry both of them when I wear bibs over a hooded sweat shirt. Just drop them in the sweat shirt pockets and nobody notices them under the bibs and they are easy to get too. I can also stick my hands in the sweat shirt pockets under my bibs. Nobody would even notice I am holding a gun in each hand. Just another farmer is what they think

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I carry a model 10-6 S&W with some action and trigger work done, it is very easy to conceal and not very heavy for every day carry. I have many others but this is a compfortable way to go. Good luck. I use a Done Hume JIT Bellt slide holster .
    Guns018.jpg

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    One of my everyday carry firearms is the Ruger SP101 in .357 out of the smallest offered barrel. It is not accurate, it is loud, it is heavy but it is idiot proof. I am most practiced with it than any other firearm I carry for self defense. I load it with .38Special +Ps because I am interested in accuracy out of the firearm, not in maging large concussive .357MAG boom sounds. I want to hit my target and do so at center of mass.

I bought mine used off of the internet way back when I was in college and had it transferred to an FFL. I think I gave 325 for it with an extra set of grips. It had a rare-ish, non-catalogued high polished finish from the factory. It does not have the satiny finish a lot of SP101s have...

I have kept it plain and it has served me well for several years. I often carry it in a pants pocket without a holster and nothing else in that pocket. Sometimes I carry it in a pocket holster, but more often than not I only pocket carry it. Sometimes I carry it in a jacket/coat pocket for easy access with nothing else in the pocket.

I hope this helps!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Forgot I had pics of mine on the computer:

Model 342 titanium .38 on the bottom and 340 M&P Scandium .357 up top
    IMG_1625_2.jpg

Galco Ankle Glove on the left and Raven ACR on the right, Bianchi Speed Strips below
    IMG_1629_3.jpg

Top Bottom