• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not Eagles. I can't remember the name of the gentleman who makes them. I believe he is out on the west coast somewhere. They're hand carved and cost me a fortune when I bought them. I'll see if I can find the name of the guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am w/ phlydog... i often carry a s and w model 642 on my ankle in a galko ankle glove and find that it disapears very easily and i have never been concerned w/ it coming off.... my reasons for this method of carry are vastly differant, but its probably one of the most comforitable carries in my opinion...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry a taurus 327 federal magnum it is a great shooter and you get 6 rounds instead of 5 in the same size package. The 327 is a great new round.

This^ or my Taurus 605 5-shot .357mag in total titanium.
    Both J-frames, both are easy to conceal, and lightweight enough to forget you're carrying it!

The total titanium model weighs only 16oz. empty!

I like them both, and have no doubts about their performance, or mine with them.:yesway:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Great post Cory! Thanks :ingo:

I've been carrying a S&W J frame in a Galco ankle glove daily for going on 10 years. Just replaced my first ankle glove earlier this week with a new one. 9.5 years for a holster worn daily isn't too bad in my opinion. The ankle glove is very comfortable and I've run at a dead sprint more times than I can count while wearing it and it's never comes loose.

Although expensive, both the S&W 342 (titanium .38) and the S&W 340 M&P (Scandium .357) that I have carry like a dream due to their light weight. They're not necessarily fun to shoot but should I ever need to shoot them that won't be of much concern.

Ankle carry may not be everyone's first choice but at times that is my only option. Frequently my ankle gun serves as a backup. These revolvers carry pretty well inside a pocket holster depending on your choice of clothing.

Ankle carry will result in a lot of dust and lint in your revolver so you will want to be sure to clean it weekly. Other than that it's a great option in my opinion. You generally don't have the concerns about malfunctions with revolvers like you do with pistols. That's not to say that they are superior to pistols but they do have their advantages.

If ankle carry isn't your cup of tea, a J frame carries pretty nicely in the front of the pants off to the strong side of center. I have a Raven ACR for mine that I use from time to time as well. When you can't conceal your pistol you can almost always find a place to tuck a J frame. Toss a Bianchi stripper clip in your pocket and you've got 11 rounds with you in a very small package.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In response to the question by RIMFIRE_CRAZED on whether full sized .357's are as painful out of a snubbie as he's been lead to believe:

A: It depends...on whether you are carrying a steel revolver or a light-weight revolver. Out of a steel Ruger SP101, S&W, or Taurus, the heavier the gun, the better it aids in recoil absorption. If you're carrying a S&W M&P 340PD (scandium framed 640, 13.5 oz., in .357 mag), you're going to pay for firing the .357...at least at the range.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you're really in a situation where the SHTF, I seriously doubt that you're going to feel recoil very much...your adrenaline will be flowing so hard that it'll take hours to remember that you bruised your hand firing your .357 mag. People have been shot, having never felt the impact, not feeling the pain for a while.

But the difference between the performance of a .38 +P and a .357 mag...the .357 mag win's...hands down (if you're measuring bullet force at impact).

Something else to consider is the grip angle which you have on your gun. A more vertical grip angle will force recoil into the wrist, resulting in more muzzle 'flip' and a slower second (follow-up) shot. A more aggressive (forward canted) grip (such as the one provided by the Badger Custom Grip) will force recoil up the arm and through the body, allowing less muzzle flip and a faster second (follow-up) shot.

Just my experience shooting small frame .357's....shoot it enough, you'll get used to it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Great comments, all! Time to get some range time in and make a decison. A wheelgun is definitely in my future. Format and frame weight are still up in the air. I like the SP101 but Ruger is on my s-list right now. S&W's are getting a little spendy for an occaisional use gun but I don't fear them used like I do other makes.

Top Bottom