• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My shooting buddy used to regularly carry a 4" 629 Mountain Gun in a shoulder holster. All of the .44 over-hype in this thread is amusing. It'll certainly drop a bad guy - but I've shot it without ears and it was fine. It's not a .50 bmg - it's a handgun.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I know that the .357 mag and .45 acp are pretty much at the top when it comes to defense against two-legged vermin, at least as far as the experts say, but I have noticed that some ammo companies are putting out personal defense loads in that caliber.
    I was wonering if anyone here carries a .44 with magnum loads and if so, why?

I do a lot in the colder months.

Just because I like it and it's what I have out and shooting most during deer seasons. If I can hit a deer and kill it with one then no human douchebag is going to be a problem.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I conceal carry a Ruger SuperBlackhawk, 10.5" barrel, ported, stainless, in a shoulder holster cc so it doesn't get banged around climbing the deer stand. Really, 44 mag in a defense situation, how many people behind the perp would you kill?

All of 'em I want to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My shooting buddy used to regularly carry a 4" 629 Mountain Gun in a shoulder holster. All of the .44 over-hype in this thread is amusing. It'll certainly drop a bad guy - but I've shot it without ears and it was fine. It's not a .50 bmg - it's a handgun.

"huh?" Is that YOUR phone?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The only time I would fire a .44 mag without hearing protection is if it were a life threatening situation. I have pretty much ruined my hearing anyway, from my young and dumb days, and now, I just couldn't handle it at all without plugs or ear muffs. Not trying to be a safety nazi or anything, it's just not worth the long term damage you will do to yourself.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only time I would fire a .44 mag without hearing protection is if it were a life threatening situation. I have pretty much ruined my hearing anyway, from my young and dumb days, and now, I just couldn't handle it at all without plugs or ear muffs. Not trying to be a safety nazi or anything, it's just not worth the long term damage you will do to yourself.

Especially with the cheap price of electronic ears nowadays. You can actually hear better than normal with them, until they clamp out loud shot sounds.

I keep a pair on most of the time I'm hunting.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    that is one of the craziest things I have heard in awhile!

44 mag is not a practical carry round in my opinion for a couple of reasons.

Follow up shots will be very hard and you'll go deaf for sure from the blast. Also I would hate to explain to a prosecutor why I'm carrying a 44 magnum for protection. Just my opinion. Save it for the deers and targets.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    S&W 629 4" Mountain Gun....

Used to carry my S&W 629 4" Mountain Gun.....but for CC I loaded it with Speer 200gr. Gold Dot JHPs. Shot really well at the range and recoil was really comfortable. They still packed plenty of energy.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    i have a taurus tracker .44 mag and i must say it is my favorite gun have several others but i always come back to it,was my only cc when i lived in washington for two years carried it all the time im going to try corbon 165gr personal defense in it i believe these will shoot great lighter recoil but still a magnum.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    In the winter months I have carried a 6" 629 S&W with the half lug. I prefer it to my 6" Colt King Cobra .357. The S&W .44 had a smoother trigger pull!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Follow up shots will be very hard and you'll go deaf for sure from the blast. Also I would hate to explain to a prosecutor why I'm carrying a 44 magnum for protection. Just my opinion. Save it for the deers and targets.

Do a 'Google' search my friend. There is precious little difference in actual nose from one type of gun to another. Virtually all rifles, pistols, and shotguns are between 150 - 160 decibels.

ANY handgun fired indoors will leave you deaf - even a 900fps "sub sonic" .22 long rifle will leave you def for a minute, and ring your ears for an extended period. I found that out first hand.

Take a look at source number 2 - a 50 caliber Browning machine gun is QUIETER than a Beretta 9mm, or AR-15.

Whats the moral of the story? ALWAYS use ear pro - unless you want to go def. ANY gun needs ear pro to stave off permanent hearing damage.

Sources:
    FreeHearingTest.com - Gunfire Noise Levels

Noise Levels (see table A2)

Last edited:

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I used to carry two Ruger Blackhawk 45LCs CC...... I put one in each interior vest pocket of my Levi's denim jacket.... The weights balanced out nicely and they disappeared against my large frame.
    That was back when I had a 48 inch chest and 36 inch waist though.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    From fall of 1969 thru summer 1987, I carried a Model 29-2 on the job with BNDD and then DEA. US DOJ policy toward larger magnums changed, forcing a change (my option was to switch to a 1911). It (the 29) carried well, and I still have it (No, my grandson has it) and I still shoot a 29 regularly. Handloading a 240 grain bullet (usually Hornady, lots of exposed lead) over 10.2 grains of Unique powder in magnum cases gave approx. 1100 fps, made for easy second shot placement, and cured the muzzle flash problem. What's not to like?

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Iv'e done it once, just to see if i could. It takes a pretty long jacket to completely hide the holster but I have a 6 inch barrel.

Top Bottom