TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like to tinker with my cameras...
    I use a Olympus FE210 for super close ups...
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

For everything else I use my Nikon D40 SLR. I use 18-55mm lense for general work and my 55-200 lense for farther away stuff.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I love shooting pics of nature and landscapes.
    I've got close to 12000 pics of nature, landscapes and the sky day and night combined. Don't know what I'll do with them but I do enjoy it.

Fishersstang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Fishers
    I love to Shoot, my wife and I are both photographers. We use Canon 20D and 30D with L glass. I will try to post some photos up from some landscape and school work. I also have some fire fighting photography.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I love to Shoot, my wife and I are both photographers. We use Canon 20D and 30D with L glass. I will try to post some photos up from some landscape and school work. I also have some fire fighting photography.

Gotta love that L glass!

Expensive as all get out, but great glass. :yesway:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I love taking photos. I use a rebel xt, 70-200 f/4L, 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. The best upgrade I bought was the vertical grip. that thing makes such a huge difference.

Your waterfall shots are pretty nice, add a neutral density filter and you will get some real pop :)

have not updated in a while, but here is my flickr link
    Flickr: slackerxpc's Photostream

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I love taking photos. I use a rebel xt, 70-200 f/4L, 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. The best upgrade I bought was the vertical grip. that thing makes such a huge difference.

Your waterfall shots are pretty nice, add a neutral density filter and you will get some real pop :)

have not updated in a while, but here is my flickr link
    Flickr: slackerxpc's Photostream

Nice shots. You even make that Hi-Point look good ;)

I also own the 70-200 F4L and love it. One of the sharpest lenses out there, and also one of the most affordable L's.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Nice shots. You even make that Hi-Point look good ;)

I also own the 70-200 F4L and love it. One of the sharpest lenses out there, and also one of the most affordable L's.

Yup, after going through this thread and looking around flick I decided that I need to start taking more pics. none of the ones on my flickr were taken with my new (to me) 70-200f/4L. For the money I don't think there is a better lens out there. (Well maybe the 75-300 f/4-5.6 for about $130, but they are in different categories ;) )

joegrunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Planning on Evansville
    I too take a lot of photos it seems. I bought a Nikon D40X and have a 18-55mm lens as well as a AFS 70-300mm lens. I shoot in JPEG, not RAW. Plus I use the auto feature the most on my camera. I wish I knew more about it, but can't seem to grasp it. :dunno:

I took a lot of pics this weekend on the Big Island of Hawaii, they were okay; nothing great. Any help would be appriciated, I am heading to Nigeria at the end of the month for a week and would like to take some better photos.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I too take a lot of photos it seems. I bought a Nikon D40X and have a 18-55mm lens as well as a AFS 70-300mm lens. I shoot in JPEG, not RAW. Plus I use the auto feature the most on my camera. I wish I knew more about it, but can't seem to grasp it. :dunno:

I took a lot of pics this weekend on the Big Island of Hawaii, they were okay; nothing great. Any help would be appriciated, I am heading to Nigeria at the end of the month for a week and would like to take some better photos.

My advice would be for you to shoot in RAW -- you can salvage a lot if you have the photo in RAW.

Also, learn about aperture and learn to take that camera out of the auto mode. Honestly, if you shoot in auto mode, you'll get better shots out of a point and shoot. DSLRs are great for diving a little deeper beneath the surface.

You also need to spend some time learning about light. The histogram on your camera is your best friend. You have to remember that a camera can not see the range of light that your eye can. You need to compensate for the camera to get the result you want.

For instance, many of my shots above in this thread involved me using filters to control light. I know it seems a bit confusing, but keep experimenting until you get the results you want. It can be time consuming. I can spend hours at one location trying to get the results I want.

Also, the best time to shoot photos are the golden hours. Sunrise and sunset. Mid-day photography is usually average at best. Flat light. You need the golden hues and shadows to give your photos depth. My wife hates traveling with me sometimes. It can be very hard for me to work photo time into a family vacation. I set up at 4:30 a.m. in below zero temps for my Bryce Canyon photo above. My wife thought I was crazy, but she loved the results!:D

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Very nice photos. I would love to head to Alaska.

Bigum, my girlfriend loves the photos I take, but hates that I spend so much time taking a few hundred pictures before I get the results I want! She's going to hate me on vacation! Speaking of vacation, I just picked up another SanDisk Extreme lll 8GB card just in case I need it. ;)

slacker, thanks for the advice on the neutral density filter. I'm going to check them out as well as the polarizing filters. Hopefully if the weather is nice during my D.C. trip, I'll need something to cut back to haze on the bright and sunny summer days!

My camera-pack goes everywhere I go, and I'm constantly looking for great photo opportunities that it annoys her. I've already taken over 1700 photos in less than 1 full week. What can I say? I learn something new everytime I take it out.

ETA: A different angle of the same waterfall in my original post. The major difference between the two is that the sun was shining in the first, and the second was under cloud cover. Interesting how it changed so much.
    CascadeWaterfall2.jpg

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Here are some tips I just read in Outdoor Photographer. Set Up Your Camera For Best Field Use - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com

I shoot with a Canon 40D, also have 2 Canon Rebel 2000 (film), various lenses, 540 flash, studio lights, backdrop, reflectors, Lightroom, and Photoshop. You can probably do 80% of what you need to do to images in Lightroom. Take a class or workshop to really learn what Lightroom has to offer. A couple hours of professional training can make a HUGE impact on your images.

Went on a trip to DC some months ago and went on a photo safari. Washington DC Professional Amateur Photography Field Trips Workshops Classes Training Institution

I liked it, hit some of the major monuments, plus some of the lessor known ones. Learned enough to make it worthwhile for the cost. Wife learned a lot more then I did, she's a novice compared to me (30 years shooting exp.)

Here is my professional gallery Main Gallery

And here are some of my more recent photo's. I've got a backlog of images to process.

2006-10-28-12h23m02%20photo-.jpg

Brown County

2005-08-20-12h38m06%20photo-.jpg

White River Gardens

IMG_1151.JPG

Home Garden

indy-11-2004-03b.jpg

Indy Convention Center

small-0000.JPG

Vietnam Memorial
    small-0001.JPG

Washington, DC