• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I always have a book at hand. Half an hour at the boarding area, on the plane, 15 minutes (or more :)) at the Drs office - I'm much happier and content to wait with something to read

Real books. And I still like newspapers, too :fogey:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a couple million pages in the house in dead tree form (this is not hyperbole), along with some on Kindle. A lot are reference books, and in the interest of keeping the information available, dead trees don't need power and are EMP proof. I have a wide variety, everything but romance books. My favorite portions of history are the period between WWI and the depression, non inclusive, and the cold war up to the sixties. Someone up thread mentioned "Ignition", which I read some years back.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Not saying that I was a nerd growing up, but my school librarian did tell me once that I checked out more books than the rest of the school combined. As a kid, I remember discovering Jack London, and devouring every London book I could get. My home library is pretty eclectic, but heavy on reference books. I have quite a few of my old science texts from college, and a good stack of Chilton's Auto Repair manuals. We also have lots of cooking, canning, gardening, homesteading, and home-doctoring books.

I have been thinking about ordering Jordan Peterson's book also (as mentioned by the OP).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I hadn't even thought about cook books...We have a shelf dedicated to them with recipes going back to the Revolutionary War...several from the Civil war and before the depression. They are interesting reference materials for food that has actual food ingredients a non chemist can recognize though many of the units of measure can be obscure (or recommended amounts immense).

Also, many hunting adventure books...just finished "Gunning Adventures in Germany". :draw:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Currently reading The mission, men and me. I read a lot for work as a firefighter/Paramedic. Try to break it up with non work topics. Been reading some leadership books lately.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Have at least one book either by or about every U.S. president. Bought most of them at library sell-offs, for fifty cents. Haven't read them all though.

Oops, none by or about Trump yet. Still think he's a lousy president, but better than the other choice.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Read quite a bit. Mostly Sci Fi and military history.
    Working on a John Ringo right now.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Read quite a bit. Mostly Sci Fi and military history.
    Working on a John Ringo right now.

I'm reading the Read Rising Series right now, Iron Gold... Give it a read if your a SCI-FI nerd... First book is not my favorite.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Just started reading Rough Riders by Mark Lee Gardner. Its a story about TR and the RR. Pretty good so far. Its from 2016 and only $1.99 for the Kindle!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Always a reader from when I learned as a child. Still read hardbound, although the internet and electronic are getting more of my time. Just finished Life at the bottom.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Going to start Secondhand Time by Svetlana Alexeyvich this weekend. It won the Nobel Prize 2 years ago, but I discovered it last year when Ben Shapiro mentioned it in a lecture. Put it on my list and it has now bubbled up.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I also recently read a book I'd been saving for 50 years..."Towards the Year 2018" that I bought in 1968. A group of futurists took a look forward 50 years to give a prediction of what today would look like. Some of them were insightful and pretty accurate if not exact...some of it was hilariously wrong.

A couple of the big things they got wrong were weaponization of the weather, the ability to generate hurricanes and throw them at enemy naval forces...and personal travel by ICBM (!?!)
    I haven't read that but it's weird how on some aspects they were dead on about the future....then others were completely not feasible

Top Bottom