Anyone ever bought any pulled rifle bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I found some that were "air pulled" whatever that means and supposedly don't have hardly any marks on them. Any of you ever use them? Comments? I would think that very minor marks wouldn't make much difference since the first thing that happens to the bullet is it slams into the rifling and gets deformed.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    got 1500 308 that where air pull...not a mark on them...

Have you shot any of them? I can't imagine that if there were no marks that they wouldn't shoot just fine but I figured I'd ask.

I'm looking at 175gr 308 bullets on gunbroker. That what were yours, and where did you find them?

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I bought some pulled 50bmg API Bullets they shot fine but I was not doing any ballistics with them of even anything critical just to shoot at the range.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Thats all that I used for years for .223 & .308, about half price or less than buying new bullets..... its been hard to get them in quantities of 2K and more.

I always had good results and since the majority of our range time is at 100m and less they were accurate enough at those ranges. I usually had a dozen or so bullets out of 1K that I would have to repair prior to reloading.

I say pass on them and send them to me.... ;)

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    pulled rifle bullets

For years I bought "popped" bullets. They were in a fire in ammo can and the heat made them pop out. Worked fine. Not match , but cheap
    06 and 308 rnds

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    i've shot a lot of pulled bullets and never had any complaints, even with collet marks on the jackets. The marks I've ever seen that put me off were from heavily crimped cartridges. Though I didn't shoot any.

No idea what 'air pulled' might mean but kinetic pullers do even less marking. They will sometimes collapse the hollow nosed bullets (like 155 Scenars) but that kind of damage is obvious.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Have you shot any of them? I can't imagine that if there were no marks that they wouldn't shoot just fine but I figured I'd ask.

I'm looking at 175gr 308 bullets on gunbroker. That what were yours, and where did you find them?

these are 175gr boatail.....they shoot fine....here is where i got them...Rocky Mountain Reloading

ebacn5.jpg

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    Shoot great for practice

I've loaded thousands of rounds of pulled bullets with great results. If they are properly pulled, they will shoot just fine. I don't know that I would rely on them for true match ammo though unless they've been re-sized

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Here's a handy tip if you are using a Kinetic hammer type bullet puller. Find a small soft rubber ball or a cork and push it down into the end of the hole in the tool body. The padding will keep from marring the soft lead or plastic tips on your bullets.

I also have reloaded a lot of pulled bullets that I bought from PAT'S in Ohio. Minor scratches are not really a problem in .30 caliber. The limiting factor is that even perfectly smooth and shiney, they are what they are, usually combat ammo. Depending on how concentric jacket was and how the core was seated and crimped at the bullet plant, is just how true it will fly. Some lots may be very good, some may shoot like 3rd world combat ammo, with unexplainable fliers on the target. I never had any fly so bad they would not vaporize a ground hog at 75 yards. The last I bought were only like 6 cents each for 30 cal bullets. Unless you really wanted match ammo accuracy, how could you go wrong?

Top Bottom