• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever read "Boston's Gun Bible"? If so, anyone have an opinion? He seems a bit playfully sarcastic but seems to supply proper facts and that i respect. Thanks in advance. :patriot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Grain of salt.

There is a bunch of wickedly wrong advice in the book--running from the scene of a shooting, "cold carry" guns, running up to a police car during a traffic stop, inter alia.

As to his rating of guns and assessing batteries, eh, just a remix of Mel Tappan's Surival Guns from 1980.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, his rating criteria seem arbitrary.
    The info is dated, as it came out at least 10 years ago.
    I almost forgot about "cold carry" guns.

It's good for a read and a laugh, but he presents a lot of his opinions as fact.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I almost forgot about "cold carry" guns.

How could you forget that?:xmad:

I had to read it several times just to make certain I was reading it correctly. Good grief.

It's a re-do of Mel Tappan's book with some insane advice.

Yeah, his rating criteria seem arbitrary.

For guns? Bleh, everyone has arbitrary criteria. No big deal.

But if you are talking about his ratings of the states in the back, yes, he got a lot completely wrong.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I got it for christmas, and have just gotten into it. I have enjoyed the sarcasm, but as with any opinion peice it's best to get multiple angles and form your own. I think the title of "Gun Bible" might be a bit over reaching from the authors perspective.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up a copy for like a $1.00 at my local gun club's annual auction. Still shrink wrapped, haven't read it. Does cold carry refer to heavier calibers for winter?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I read the one where he made a comment about mid-westerners as "Submissive & compliant to the government" or something like that.

Yes, one of my favorite zingers.

Ironic as he comes from Denver.:rolleyes: I'll put Indiana laws up over Colorado's all day long.

Hey, Boston, check your backyard would ya, freedom boy?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    None of my true gun enthisiast friends and dealers have ever heard of this book. Which tells me that all of the rave reviews on Amazon are from either newbies to gun, or avid hunters, like my family, who are turning the corner into a focus on personal, home and national defense. That being said, just as "SideArmed" said, it's an opinion piece. An FFL friend of mine said, last night, take it as personal opinion, just like anyone else's. But when you are done with the gun, you will definitely have a very large working body of knowledge to begin your new hobby.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Which tells me that all of the rave reviews on Amazon are from either newbies to gun

The rave reviews are by fellow authors.

Look at the comments and then look at the names:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KPKM2F66ZKW36HCQVWW

An FFL friend of mine said, last night, take it as personal opinion, just like anyone else's. But when you are done with the gun, you will definitely have a very large working body of knowledge to begin your new hobby.

Yes, it is his opinion, which is fine. Mel Tappan had an opinion and so does Boston T. Party.

What is not fine is that kind of advice that he is injecting into the gun culture--cold carry guns, running away after shooting people, jumping out of cars during traffic stops, and incorrect legal conclusions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fortunately, i can discern between reasonable and unreasonable. Beyond that, i'm sure there's some good stuff to be gleaned. so as for Mel Tappan???? Good/Bad/ or indifferent?? Tell me your opinions.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mel Tappan was one of the first gun writers that I remember reading (Les Bowman and Jeff Cooper were the others).

My father bought Survival Guns for me in 1980. It was my first gun nut book. Still have it.:D

My opinions are biased.:D

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    LOL! Yeah your at home melting your cold gun barrel when the cops show up :laugh: OK, it's 3AM just a little puddle of high grade stainless, nothing to see here. Also "buy all the paperless glocks in 9,40 &45 you can find" better bring a truck :laugh: That book is a hoot

Top Bottom